Home

My PS3 keeps shutting itself off...

This is a discussion on My PS3 keeps shutting itself off... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: My PS3 keeps shutting itself off...

Blowing out hot air is actually a good sign...means your heatsinks are working. I've recently had an issue with my fan going to level 3 and 4 recently and I also have a fat refurbished one.

I know this sounds stupid but find two soup cans that are the same height and put your PS3 on top of that. This will allow even more air to circulate and cool the system down.

Also you might need to clean it using a can of air and a vacuum. Don't use a shop-vac, but using a regular vacuum might help.

Lastly, it's hot all around the country and heat is obviously bad for electronics, so if the ambient temperature is high then it might trigger something in your PS3. Try to only play it when it's 75 degrees or lower in the room.

If all else fails, take it to a repair shop...It might be less expensive to fix it than to get a new one...but, those slims look pretty enticing.

EDIT: Do yourself a favor now and backup all your important files!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Yeah, it has been hot down here. Heat Index was 97 at 10:15 last night. I'll try the cans. It may just be me, but the fan does sound like it is revving up a little. That thing is always loud so I don't know if it's putting out any more than normal or not.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
Rookie

toine2983's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
Rest in Peace, PS3
Pretty much.

Your PS3 is definitely showing early symptoms of YLOD.

I'd advise you to back up all your files ASAP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
Blowing out hot air is actually a good sign...means your heatsinks are working. I've recently had an issue with my fan going to level 3 and 4 recently and I also have a fat refurbished one.

I know this sounds stupid but find two soup cans that are the same height and put your PS3 on top of that. This will allow even more air to circulate and cool the system down.

Also you might need to clean it using a can of air and a vacuum. Don't use a shop-vac, but using a regular vacuum might help.

Lastly, it's hot all around the country and heat is obviously bad for electronics, so if the ambient temperature is high then it might trigger something in your PS3. Try to only play it when it's 75 degrees or lower in the room.

If all else fails, take it to a repair shop...It might be less expensive to fix it than to get a new one...but, those slims look pretty enticing.

EDIT: Do yourself a favor now and backup all your important files!!!

Not stupid at all. I have a fatboy, bought it brand new shortly after launch. I always bring it out from my entertainment center and place it on a small stand I found that allows air to circulate thoroughly.

Although I don't play for hours on end like some, to this day, it's still going strong (knock on wood). At most, when I played The Show, I'd average about 1.5 hours of game time, and I always shut it down completely afterwards.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Cool, segadude. I've had my ps3 in a small space before but I usually bring it out. I've played the heck out of it.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Didn't get a chance to play my ps3 last night until pretty late. I played for a couple hrs with no issues. It never seemed to rev as loudly as it has been lately. I don't know if it was the room temp or what.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

I have had this happen a few times. Found a guy who fixes it. He does the first fix for $40 and offers a lifetime guarantee, so he has had it back twice. He says the main issue is heat, so try to keep a fan on it while you are playing.

Look in your local Kijiji for people who fix PS3's, it is apparently a pretty simple fix.

I plan on buying a new one anyway, but have a few trips planned so I don't want to replace just yet and I have squeezed another 8 months out of my PS3 fat 60GB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 20

Bad scene, dude. Good luck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »