Home

Tips For Controlling The FS On Defense Are Much Needed!!!

This is a discussion on Tips For Controlling The FS On Defense Are Much Needed!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Tips For Controlling The FS On Defense Are Much Needed!!!

Welcome to the FS world!!!

First you should know what type of team you have. If you have pretty lock-down corners then being a tackling safety is good. If you have poor corners then being a coverage safety is good.

Pass Plays

Play pass first, check your outside CBs first. I like blitz/press plays, so I always check to see if any of my CBs get beat off the line. If they are good, look for receivers running across the middle. If that's good, then look at the RB to see what he doing. If everything is good, sit back and look for a receiver that will need help like a second later. Also watch for the QB scramble if you are in man.

Run Plays

If you think its a run, or you blitzing, it's better to come at an angle. Let your lineman get to the blockers first and then shoot around. I hate charging the middle on run and pass plays because I'll always get abused by some random blocker. If they have a FAST RB, it's best to sit back and let the play handle...these RBs are breaking tackles like there is no tomorrow.

Like everybody else said, strafing is super important, and it's your best friend. But the play-style of the safety is usually dictated by the personnel on the field. If you really wanna 1-up your defense, play on the CB...you are not allowed to make mistakes there lol
Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13

Me personally, I'm the best FS in the game. Not gonna repeat everybody because the basics are already covered, but one thing to keep in mind, in online play, the most common route is a crossing route. First make sure your corners have their WR's covered, because if they do, your opponent is going to look for that slot receiver or TE crossing over the middle. Its the easiest set up, get that route covered, cause it's an interception waiting to happen, usually people test the FS to see if you're actually good or not, so it's going to take alot of practice before you can cover routes such as Post Corners or Fly routes, a big help to this is starting a Road to Glory as a cornerback. The reason you want to start as a cornerback is because you will be one on one with the top WR on their team in man coverage, a big key to being successful at this position is anticipation and recovery. As much as you love using that interception button you have to fall in love more with the swat button, as I've learned when you're beat but not badly but still have the opportunity to make a play on the ball, the swat button is your best friend.

Playing CB in RTG helps give you cover skills by learning how to strafe properly and anticipating. Obviously when you play FS youll probably be playing more zone, but as long as you don't get beat you should be fine. Occasionally, I leave my CB's on an island with the WR on the outside cause 9 times out of 10, he's with him, and if that QB forces the ball there I know my CB will be able to make a play on that ball.

So take everyones advice, and remember those key points everyones been saying, and to be a great FS online, remember crossing routes are where people want to go first. Strafe, anticipate, recover, and swat. But if you have great inside position, pick 6 that bad boy. If you want more help, my GT is d11king. And I cam promise you I'm the greatest FS.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

In previous years, I'd dominate from the FS position. This year I was struggling until I realized two things. First, I had to turn Auto Strafe off as that was keeping me strafing when I wanted to run somewhere. Secondly, you can actually get beat deep this year. In previous years if you were playing the deep middle you just just leave your responsiblity and never get burned.

Once I learned these lessons, I'm back to my old ways.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11king
Me personally, I'm the best FS in the game. Not gonna repeat everybody because the basics are already covered, but one thing to keep in mind, in online play, the most common route is a crossing route. First make sure your corners have their WR's covered, because if they do, your opponent is going to look for that slot receiver or TE crossing over the middle. Its the easiest set up, get that route covered, cause it's an interception waiting to happen, usually people test the FS to see if you're actually good or not, so it's going to take alot of practice before you can cover routes such as Post Corners or Fly routes, a big help to this is starting a Road to Glory as a cornerback. The reason you want to start as a cornerback is because you will be one on one with the top WR on their team in man coverage, a big key to being successful at this position is anticipation and recovery. As much as you love using that interception button you have to fall in love more with the swat button, as I've learned when you're beat but not badly but still have the opportunity to make a play on the ball, the swat button is your best friend.

Playing CB in RTG helps give you cover skills by learning how to strafe properly and anticipating. Obviously when you play FS youll probably be playing more zone, but as long as you don't get beat you should be fine. Occasionally, I leave my CB's on an island with the WR on the outside cause 9 times out of 10, he's with him, and if that QB forces the ball there I know my CB will be able to make a play on that ball.

So take everyones advice, and remember those key points everyones been saying, and to be a great FS online, remember crossing routes are where people want to go first. Strafe, anticipate, recover, and swat. But if you have great inside position, pick 6 that bad boy. If you want more help, my GT is d11king. And I cam promise you I'm the greatest FS.
Thanks for picking up where I left off rookie...

SIGNED: Greatest FS in the WORLD
Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Rookie

JSmooveIV's Arena

OVR: 0

I really appreciat yall tips also i have another question if yall are controlling the fs or ss in man coverage do yall a actually control him before the ball is in the air or yAll wait until the ball is in the air and move him around
Old 07-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmooveIV
I really appreciat yall tips also i have another question if yall are controlling the fs or ss in man coverage do yall a actually control him before the ball is in the air or yAll wait until the ball is in the air and move him around
I tend to wait until the receiver has made his break before I control him. I play with player-lock on so the controls can get a little crazy with the camera rotating and I can get myself out of position. If I recognize the route early enough I'll move my guy into position quicker

Watch me play video games
Old 07-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
Rookie

JSmooveIV's Arena

OVR: 0

thanks im really going to try all of the tips!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #16
Rookie

I like to control him the whole time...I've always been a good DB and playing CB only made me better. Besides, if he has a low AWR, you might catch yourself out of position if you wait to late

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »