Home

Advice for a complete noob

This is a discussion on Advice for a complete noob within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Advice for a complete noob

I got my 1st Football game last year with madden 11 ( even though I'm nearly 40 ). I had very little knowledge of football but enjoyed the game a great deal ( and last NFL season)

Anyway, I've ordered NCAA 12 but my problem is I don't have a clue on any teams, which teams should I be looking at? I enjoy the running game so maybe that could be a start to picking a few teams. Also, I'm fairly ok with offensive but don't have much idea of defensive formations. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Advice for a complete noob

Oregon has the best running back in the game and a mobile QB. They are a fun team to play with.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

South Carolina. Great runningback, and you don't need to be great at making moves with him. He'll just run people over.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Rookie

Cheers guys. I've tried Oregon and will now try SC
Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

A safe defense for most playtypes is a standard cover 2 defense, it has safeties dropping to protect the over-the-top pass, and mostly man the rest of the way. It's also available out of almost every formation. Generally, I usually pick a formation that matches the personel that the CPU/opponent puts on the field.

So, if you see 4+ wide receivers in their formation, I usually go with a dime or nickel defense. Dime has more CBs, Nickel has an extra CB, and those guys match up better for speed. In running situations, you'll want to pick something out of your base defense (4-3, which means 4 lineman and 3 linebackers; 3-4 [reverse that]) or a specialized run defense like the 5-2 (five lineman, 2 linebackers), 4-4 (you guessed it), or Bear defense.

I haven't played much defense in NCAA 12 yet, because I've played as an Offensive Coordinator in dynasty mode. Last year the only really functional defense was man-to-man, although zone seems a lot more balanced this year. The differences in the playbooks are zone will show guys with big bubbles around them of different colors, while man to man will show them lining up with a player on the field.

Test it out and see what you think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Rookie

Cheers rebel,

I'll check it out.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

You might wanna use a teambuilder team as your team they are millions of teams out there so I'm sure one of them is something you have a intrest in that also has a good HB.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Rookie

TDTGodfather's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel10
A safe defense for most playtypes is a standard cover 2 defense, it has safeties dropping to protect the over-the-top pass, and mostly man the rest of the way. It's also available out of almost every formation. Generally, I usually pick a formation that matches the personel that the CPU/opponent puts on the field.

So, if you see 4+ wide receivers in their formation, I usually go with a dime or nickel defense. Dime has more CBs, Nickel has an extra CB, and those guys match up better for speed. In running situations, you'll want to pick something out of your base defense (4-3, which means 4 lineman and 3 linebackers; 3-4 [reverse that]) or a specialized run defense like the 5-2 (five lineman, 2 linebackers), 4-4 (you guessed it), or Bear defense.

I haven't played much defense in NCAA 12 yet, because I've played as an Offensive Coordinator in dynasty mode. Last year the only really functional defense was man-to-man, although zone seems a lot more balanced this year. The differences in the playbooks are zone will show guys with big bubbles around them of different colors, while man to man will show them lining up with a player on the field.

Test it out and see what you think.
hey rebel, how is OC? i''m playing DC in mine and am having a blast. starting out with tulane, their offense has scored TD's in two games (hence, i'm 0-2). but my defense is holding its own. it's frustrating losing, but i'm having fun not knowing what the O is gonna do so i better bring it every series.

to the OP, pick LSU, because you'll have to run the ball
Chicago White Sox

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »