Home

Anyone else finding it difficult to run out of the spread?

This is a discussion on Anyone else finding it difficult to run out of the spread? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #9
Banned

Sabo's corked Bat's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Anyone else finding it difficult to run out of the spread?

This is why my Vanilla Cincy Spread playbook has evolved into a Cincinnati/TCU/Pro Run offense. Those I and offset formations are invaluable when i really need to run.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

I created a Multiple Option book in custom playbooks, it is a power rushing look but I operate mostly out of the gun and pistol then mix in Wishbone and a few I formations when I'm really looking to grind it out. To be successful running from the gun, you have to call two separate games, one vs the computer and one vs humans.

Against the computer, you have to shelf a lot of the misdirection and option plays in the gun because the game just flat out knows it is coming and is not fooled. You can still pick your spots with option but mostly you need to stick with the HB Dive (best gun running play) and then various sweeps. You also need to be very prepared with your audibles because when you show up with a 4 WR middle running play and they show up in 4-3, you want to check out of that. Most of my audibles are option, Speed option from wing formations and load option from Spread Flex. If you pick your spots, like when the CPU loads up the box knowing you're running a middle run, you can audible and get the corner pretty easily. You can manipulate the CPU defense into opening up the outside rushing attack using audibles and then usually they do adjust and the middle will open up.

Now against humans, you can work in a lot more triple option, a lot more read option and various jet motions and counters because it will fool them. Most humans will match your personnel defensively which allows you to get a lot more creative with the rushing attack. If you are customizing your playbooks, you want to get plays in there that all work off the same look. In my gun formations, I have 3 or 4 runs that all look the same but are slightly different. There are plays in the wing formations that have a Jet, a Fk Jet Dive and then a Motion WR Option that all look the same but do 3 very different things. Humans will bite on that. See who they use on defense manually, see how they react and then adjust.

As tempted as you might be to go all Oregon with read option after read option, realize that read option is only a small aspect of Oregon's offense. What looks like the read is often a straight give or a straight keep. They just make everything look exactly the same and work off that. Which is how they can make a mid-line 3 technique read option look the same as their inside read which looks the same as their outside read which looks the same as the counter. Do not be afraid of straight gives and straight keeps. Gun rushing doesn't always equal option, you can always work the option off of it and then hopefully open the passing game as well. And lastly, don't force it. The gun rushing attack isn't 3 yards and a cloud of dust, if it isn't there, it isn't there. Get out of the play and throw quick to the flats or work in screens.

My last game with Clemson I ran for 270 yards out of the spread against a friend. Unfortunately I didn't throw for a damn thing and lost the game. So you have to be balanced.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:39 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think its better overall than last year. However, running out of the offset formations where the back begins a step behind the QB is far better, and most of them are between the tackle runs. Read option also works well from here. HB Dive out of Spread Flex is a staple play for me.

However, running out of shotgun with the back adjacent to the QB doesn't work as well. A Sweep play doesn't allow me to pick up blocks right.

I've had hit or miss sucess with the buck sweep play, where both guards pull in the direction of the run. Its a 1 yard gain most of the time but when both guards engage correctly, you have a free 20 yard run.

Overall, I enjoy spread running moreso than last year, although it is still fairly difficult.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »