Home

Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With vids

This is a discussion on Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With vids within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #113
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I agree but it's not coming back, EA has said that nearly all focus groups prefer the feeling of "more control" over the weight/momentum that we, as sim players, prefer. The way that it was in last-gen was described as "steering a boat" time and time again by a lot of folks, inc. quite a few that come here.
But why not include it as an option? We have game speed and speed threshold as options. I strongly believe we need a weight/momentum option for NCAA 13. I don't really believe it has to do with the sim vs arcade crowd because they completely toned down the RB moves in NCAA 12 and I doubt the tourney crowd asked for that. I really miss the r-stick juke and RBs in general lack personality. The PS2 games had far more personality at RB. A thumper like John Clay would run you over but quick guys would scare the crap out of you. Many people were annoyed with how much influence the impact players in NCAA 06 had but I would gladly take big time players standing out too much (I actually liked it) vs. everyone feeling very similar in NCAA 12. Special players don't stand out at all and it makes the game boring. What we are seeing here is the vision of the EA devs at work. It has been this way from day one on the 360/PS3 and I also don't like that vision.

Quite frankly this series has grown stale for me. I'm just not having that much fun with NCAA 12 and I actually regret trading in NCAA 11 (got about $8) to pay $60 for this one. It's not worth a full price upgrade. I will be taking a more cautious approach with NCAA 13.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #114
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With

Quote:
I agree but it's not coming back, EA has said that nearly all focus groups prefer the feeling of "more control" over the weight/momentum that we, as sim players, prefer. The way that it was in last-gen was described as "steering a boat" time and time again by a lot of folks, inc. quite a few that come here.
Yea, I heard that the weight/momentum was taken out for the "casuals". Thing is, there are still sim heads who grew up with Madden who are looking for a simulation of football not an arcade representation.

What I would like to push for just as the post before me states is an option. I think its possible. It has to be the central gameplay team (base gameplay for Madden AND NCAA) who can do it, because the movement changed for both Madden and NCAA. Adjust the numbers, then put a selection in the options menu for "tourney" and "simulation".

This is the single most glaring issue with game for me and I'm sure many others. I could deal with many of the hiccups in the game only if I had my weight and momentum back. Madden/NCAA are supposed to simulate the game of football. You have to have weight and momentum for that.

Give us the option please.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #115
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

Ya know what I miss? Back in the old Genesis days, Bill Walsh College Football, the father of the NCAA Football games, had live look ins, in the middle of YOUR GAME, that would show highlights and game breaking action, just like a real broadcast.

Now, this was in the 16-Bit days, you tellin' me they couldn't amp up the presentation a bit by having this happen again? I loved it when those would pop up.

Oh the memories.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #116
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

To describe last-gen in one word,it would be "Smooth." The players moved good, there were no WTF moments, the computer was realistic.

To describe this gen in one word, it would be "Glitchy." Both in game and out of game. I know it would never happen, but I wish they would stop adding in features and just fix what they have. This game has so much potential, but parts of the game just eat away at the experience.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #117
Pro

OVR: 4

I believe 06 and 07 were the best cause they were a perfect balance between Sim and Arcade. For the Sim you had the player infractions, you could judge recruits based on the fact that they had stats from the players high school games, and the custom playbooks, and momentum. But they were also arcade with the unlockables, create a team, the little minigames, and mascot challenges. Now it's more arcade than anything. They also had the little things. I
Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #118
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
I dont know if it'll never return. I mean, if you look at the history, Madden/NCAA always had weight and momentum and it sold just as well if not more than it does now. If anything, they should go ahead and implement an option in the menu for the two styles.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #119
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
I dont know if it'll never return. I mean, if you look at the history, Madden/NCAA always had weight and momentum and it sold just as well if not more than it does now. If anything, they should go ahead and implement an option in the menu for the two styles.
I agree, if anything else, as some have stated, it'd be great if we could get some sort of slider for momentum or something to make it play closer to ps2 days...

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »