Home

Defensive coordinator frustrations

This is a discussion on Defensive coordinator frustrations within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Rookie

3Percenter's Arena

OVR: 1
Defensive coordinator frustrations

I'm a defensive coordinator for Florida St. and am enjoying it for the most part but.... The offensive playcalling is just plain mind blowing at times. There are times when it's 4th and inches and CPU decides to punt even though it would behoove them to go for it. CPU also decides to boot a FG anywhere inside the 45 and that produces mixed results. We got a great kicker now but I believe they'd make the same decision no matter the talent level of the kicker. I use a balanced playbook yet there are the never ending shotgun formation HB draws on 1st and 2nd down that either go for a loss of 5 or gain of 3-4 Does anyone else experience this as a Defensive Coordinator?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Talking Re: Defensive coordinator frustrations

I'm D coordinator for the Canes. My offense has been pretty good. I did have an iffy year because my QB was inexperienced Soph with low awareness. I don't actually watch the offense so I'm not sure what plays they call. I adjusted my coaches philosophy to run more cause I have a beast RB. Maybe you should adjust your head coaches or offensive coordinators aggressiveness. Not sure but it's worth a try.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Rookie

ComebackDylan's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Defensive coordinator frustrations

Yeah I had similar problems running with Colorado. We had a really, really good HB but I weak O-line so he could never get anywhere. I adjusted both the HC and OC's aggressiveness and their overall philosophies to more of a pass friendly offense. It was only like 60 pass 40 run, and only until I could bring in some better linemen. It actually worked pretty well, as long as you have a good QB. So yeah, give that a shot
Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Rookie

Wrecktum's Arena

OVR: 4

I just lost a game to Eastern Michigan due to my OC being brain dead (I am the DC at Ball State). In a tie game I forced a fumble to give my offense the ball at the 15 yard line with 58 seconds to play. First two plays are runs, presumably to run down the clock and kick the game-winning field goal.

After the 2nd run, the coach called a timeout to stop the clock and then called a pass which got intercepted in the end zone. Even Mike Martz would cringe at playcalling like this. Fortunately I won the game in overtime, but it never should have gotten that far.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
Rookie

slingstone's Arena

OVR: 0

I was DC at South Carolina for two seasons, and I got sick of the AI play calling on offense, so I got myself a HC position post haste after the second season. I did notice that my offense got better when I DIDN'T watch the offense play, but it did take less time off the clock. Simming the offense off-screen got me a national title in my second year, so you might give it a shot. At least you won't have to SEE the OC refuse to use a goal line set on 3rd and goal with inches to go...I swear Carolina got stopped in the red zone so often due to stupid play calls that it made me sick.

Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »