Home

Shutdown the TE

This is a discussion on Shutdown the TE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Shutdown the TE

Okay, I'm in my first year of online dynasty on all american and I'm about to play a user game against a guy in the conference championship. He uses Georgia and his te, Orson Charles, gets 300 receiving yards a game....no joke!!! I have no idea how he's doing this. I checked his depth chart and he's in the te position, not a third or fourth slot receiver. Checked some of his game stats and the guy catches 81 and 68 yard passes consistently. All I can think of is that he's running him on a bunch of streak routes with a slot receiver opposite him doing the same. I run a 3-4 predator defense mostly in man coverage (Alabama). I'm not concerned about his wideouts b/c they aren't very fast and I'm pretty confident about handling the run. Any scheme to take this guy out of the game is welcomed. Thanks for looking, fellas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Rookie

dawgpound 26's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Shutdown the TE

First question, is he a fast TE?

It's pretty easy to run a Flag route with a fast TE while a slower LB is covering him. If the WR runs a hitch or in route to clear out the CB underneath him in man coverage it is open almost every time.

Another play he could be running is one of the verticals that has the TE running a seam route that is more like a hybrid b/w a streak and a drag route. If there are 2 safeties playing deep they will leave the TE open in the middle of the field.

A good way to combat this out of the 3-4 Predator is to run straight up man, or cover 2 for a zone play, and control the middle linebacker that plays the zone in the middle of the field. It is pretty easy to recognize the TE running this route, and you will still be able to defend the run in this formation.

NCAA 14 OD: UTAH STATE AGGIES
NCAA 13 OD: ARIZONA STATE SUN DEVILS, SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS
NCAA 12 OD: ILLINOIS FIGHTING ILLINI, FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES, FLORIDA GATORS
XBL GT: Chalupa Battman
Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Rookie

Yeah, dude is pretty quick. Mid 80s if I recall correctly. Yeah, I thought about controlling the mlb if the guy runs the four verticals. I have pretty quick lbs. I'll probably just play man and take my zone lb and bump him coming off of the line and try to get back to play the middle of the field. Thanks, sir.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

Curious as to how this worked out for you. Follow-up?

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Old 09-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
Rookie

Well, it takes a couple of days (more than sometimes) for users to get their schedules together and play. But, I'll let you all know. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
I doubt he plays like that against a user.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Rookie

I said I'd update. Just played and lost by 7. I didn't play defense at all. Qb got concussed, got called for 6 holding penalties, most on second down. Wasn't my day, didn't play well at all. No excuses cuz I sucked. Good game by him. Tight end had 197 yards and a td. Cheesy play kinda, he was always open. But hey, it's my fault for not stopping it. Thanks for all of the input fellas.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15

TEs get overlooked in the College game, its not unrealistic to constantly go to that well if the D isn't adjusting to that (one of the many frustrating things about Chan Gailey's time at Tech was the complete disregard for the TE, even on 3rd down they would let him go free and they'd always throw it to him, VT pulled this a lot).

Its not really cheesing to do something teams do in real life all the time (you leave Finley open, or give him the advantage on a route and Rodgers will go to him every time, same with Romo and Witten, Manning with Clark, Ryan with Gonzalez, Brady with whichever TE of his you leave open), it happens in the college game too. Though if they are calling the same play every time then it can fall under the cheese category.

As for stopping the TE the best advice I can give you is to spotlight him (I don't know enough about setting up defensive schemes in the game to give you any more credible advice than that, there are definitely better ways to stop the TE).
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
RIP Atlanta Thrashers

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »