Home

The Tactical game vs Strategical game?

This is a discussion on The Tactical game vs Strategical game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The Tactical game vs Strategical game?

To add on to all of that, even the man blocking is wrong! Instead of reach blocking or down blocking to push the defenders away from the play, the blockers just lock on to the defenders and both get stuck in some type of tug of war until the defender decides to use a swim move. I have never seen an offensive lineman actually dominate the guy in front of him, as in just driving him completely out of the play. Instead, it's either the weird/fake stalemate at the LOS or Super Synchronized Pancake on three 300lb D linemen.

lol wut?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
This game needs a football mind in charge, not a video game mind, a football mind. The best organizations in business, sports, government and military ensure that the top two people in charge have skills/specialties that benefit each other. So in this case, the head of the NCAA team may have excellent video game making skills, but his second in command should have actual football skills (or vice versa). A football mind on staff would do so much to help this game. Not a fan, these guys are all fans, but a mind who knows how things should work and develop during a play.
This, this exactly. The problem is that none of the strategies work because the game does not play like football due to the lack of football minds being included in the design of game.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: The Tactical game vs Strategical game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFB13
Exfriggenactly. I always get a kick about how visitors to EA Tiburon will talk and talk about how big of fans these developers are. So what? We need some actual football minds in there. Actual technicalities need to be stressed, especially blocking schemes like you mentioned. I like the fact that the Buck Sweep is in the game, but it's not a run to the sideline sweep, you're supposed to cut up in between the lanes the guards create. But there are no lanes because every team uses a man power-scheme.

Unfortunately for people who actually pay attention to these things, there are a heck of a lot of plays that don't work because EA won't put in different blocking schemes, probably because they aren't aware of them.

I really hope that their hire of that Auburn guy sets a trend of more football-oriented hires, but looking at the rise in sales this year, probably not gonna happen. Which means less accuracies and more fluff next year unless us as the consumers start to demand actual football stuff.

I like what you said here but you were kinda redefining the terms I had started the thread with. Everything here would be tactical (I kinda left actual playcalling out of the original definitions).

By strategical AI I was more referring to the AI controlling the grand scheme of the team and not the on the field AI. So the lines of code that dictate who a team recruits, how hard they recruit him, how they fill their depth charts, how they hire/fire coaches, ect.

I plan on making a Madden version of this thread after the next patch or so but since this is the NCAA board lets keep to NCAA 12.

I personally agree that there are numerous tactical flaws that make many plays unusable, or at least unusable in their intended form. Much of this comes down to blocking schemes.

As for the strategical AI, I still do not understand why this algorithm has not been fixed. I'd assume at this point a simple tag saying that RBs cant be WRs would be enough. The player can always edit things to their liking but the game should do the best it can.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »