Home

Cheese or No Cheese?

This is a discussion on Cheese or No Cheese? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Cheese?
Cheese 56 44.09%
No Cheese 71 55.91%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #33
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Cheese or No Cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I'm shocked that you even had to ask if that was cheese.
  • Ball is deep in your own territory.
  • Your defense has only allowed 6 points the entire game (IE. you should be confident that your defense can hold them after you punt it away).
  • You fail your fake punt attempt and you lose the game. It doesn't matter how good your D is playing, he's already in FG range.
  • If he does score, you can't be confident that you can score again as your team has only scored 7 points all game.
  • You called the fake punt run which in and of itself is pretty cheesy.
1. A first down ends the game, and its only 1 yard. Being deep in your own territory might make you less likely to try it, but its still a logical decision to go for it.

2. The defense may have held his opponent previously, but if he gets the ball back he will be in 4 down situations, whereas the D only had to defend 3 downs previously. His opponent will have more chances to get 1st downs. Also, a 2 minute situation would force his opponent to no-huddle, which is tough on the D as well.

3. Thats why its called a risk. If there was no risk involved, it would indeed have been cheese.

4. Again, thats the risk.

5. The fake punt run isn't as successful as you think. OP even mentioned that his opponent had it stopped. His opponent abusing the Strip Ball adjustment was the only reason it was successful.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26

I don't believe that fake punts are a gimme 7 yards, and I believe they can be stopped. How successful they are when someone is not looking for them is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That's the entire point. The fact that the runner was hit short proves this play can be stopped. If he wasn't expecting it and it worked, that's his fault. It doesn't take advantage of a flaw in the AI, and it is not cheese. It probably crossed the thin line between brave and stupid, but it's not cheese.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #35
Pro

jacory12's Arena

OVR: 12

i like cheddar cheese
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #36
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

The responses in this thread are a good indicator as to why the game is designed the way it is and why playing online is such a crapshoot. Because the same people that are in and out of threads demanding more realistic game play in terms of animations, gameplay and atmosphere come into a thread such as this one and talk about how gutsy of a play call a fake punt 30 yards deep in your own territory with a late lead is. You cannot have it both ways.

You'll note that my objection here isn't that he went for it. I can respect someone lining up and saying it is you vs me for 1 yard, he who prevails will be the champion. I go for it on 4th down more than most teams, I run some what of a 3 yards of a cloud of dust offense, control the clock and play great defense and that involves converting those tough 4th and shorts. But I line up and run my offense as it is designed, I don't run a fake punt, which is without a doubt the cheapest play in the game.

There are no special teams plays capable of consistently defending the fake and in a VIDEO GAME which is heavily slanted towards offensive football, a defender should not even have to consider coming out in a base defense in this situation. EA needs to either remove the ability to fake punt on a 4th down from the GL to the -40 or retool the entire special teams system so there are multiple fakes and multiple defenses.

Like I said before, if you come looking for validation, expect people who disagree with you. If you can live with winning a game that way, well done, I think it was cowardly though and I'd be embarrassed to win like that.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 17

can't believe the poll is even, in no way is this cheese, it was a gutsy call that might have lost you the game
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingTrivial
People take cheese to whole new levels, if its an AI glitch and you take advantage is cheese. Weird playcalling, switching positions....not cheese at all. I remember 2 weeks ago in a south carolina game the ol' ball coach calling a fake punt and a DL taking it 70+ for a TD....I guess he was cheesing. People call putting certain players at certain positions cheese....Look at randall cobb for uk for the past 3 years.....Cheese is taking advantage of AI Glitches, no making decisions outside of the box.
I have to differ with you on that one. On the game you can put a WR at QB and he is no worse then a real qb back there plus he have the wr spd ratings which makes them almost impossible to catch with linemen/lbs. Now I haven't went on online in 12 to see if this mess has been corrected but I know I have seen that stuff 1st hand and I would call that cheese.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
You'll note that my objection here isn't that he went for it. I can respect someone lining up and saying it is you vs me for 1 yard, he who prevails will be the champion. I go for it on 4th down more than most teams, I run some what of a 3 yards of a cloud of dust offense, control the clock and play great defense and that involves converting those tough 4th and shorts. But I line up and run my offense as it is designed, I don't run a fake punt, which is without a doubt the cheapest play in the game.
really its cheaper to run a fake punt in a situation where the opponent probably wasn't looking for it, (which is exactly why its a GREAT idea to run it there even though its an extremely gutsy call) then it is to line up your offense on 4th and 1 in a maryland i or power i formation and run the toss. I think those are much much more cheap plays to run in that situation.
I don't know why you are getting your panties in such a twist over what this guy did. It's not even close to being cheese. The fake punt can be stopped on this game, I know i've blown it up in the back field or had it blown up just as often as i've seen it be successful. And as the OP said he was stopped in the backfield initially but his opponent had the strip ball setting set to aggressive.
Personally i think using the agressive settings on this game is about as bad of cheesing as anything on this game because it is so overpowered.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 1

BURN IN HELL !!!

Ha! Seriously though, you shouldn't have run the ball given the place on the field and the importance of the game.

You have to ask yourself if a coach would do that in real life, we all know the answer is no.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »