Home

Strong/Weak Side Defenders

This is a discussion on Strong/Weak Side Defenders within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Location: The god blessed US of A! Wanna know more, ask and find out!
Re: Strong/Weak Side Defenders

I think Red is on the right track. If you want to get as close to defensive shift as possible in terms of Sam, Mike and Will.....use the flip option and adjust yourself....as if YOU are Mike and are running the defense. Then your designated backers will be in the roles you want!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

OVR: 13

What I do is recruit a bunch of DTs and put them at DE. That helps clog the middle on early downs. Late downs and obvious passing situations I use the built in package subs and put my speedy LBs at DE. Only time I ever recruit a DE is if he has at least B- SPD, and I usually convert him to LB.

Works for me.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Unfortunately no. The entire depth chart system needs to be revamped. I'd love to be able to have an Anchor and Open/Rush Defensive End and a Sam and Will linebacker, even a Free/Strong/Rover safety in 4-2-5.

Usually what I just end up doing is using DE/LB/DB flip to get my stronger defenders on the wide side of the field while my faster defenders are on the weak side. My thought process being, the stronger defenders will disrupt the blocks to that side and string a run play wide, allowing the quicker players to cover ground and bring them down. So if the ball is on the left hash, I'll get my Anchor Defensive End, the strongest DE with the best power move at left end (on the right side of the offense) while my quicker end is on the offenses left.

In the 4-2-5, which is what I am going back to running, I do the same with my safeties. My run stopping, stronger, slightly slower safety goes to the wide side of the field while my quicker safety goes to the weak.

It isn't perfect and to be honest, there are times when it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but it helps a little in the run game, especially against people running option/power O/stretch.
Totally agree about the depth chart needing a overhaul. If you're going to have run stoppers and pass rushers- why not utilize that tendency in the formation? All the wishlist threads I have posted in whether here or EA or whatever site, my first wish is having the defense align and react to the offenses formation. 43 under and 43 over doesn't just mean linebackers slide one way to the other.
This year I've noticed that in nickle the CPU will put it's nickle back to the short side of the field in zone coverage, even if I only have one receiver to the short side. Sure it can be done, but you're asking a lot out of that safety and linebacker to the wide side of the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViLLiO
What I do is recruit a bunch of DTs and put them at DE.
I do this for my 3-4. My DEs are pretty much interchangeable. My OLBs are almost always converted DEs (since the majority of them come in under 250 pounds with decent speed anyway).
Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

I just tested this - even my SS/FS do not switch to the strength of the formation! I can line up in a Strong I formation and flip the play either way and the safeties stay put!?!?! Why even have two separate safety positions if they don't mean anything at all? Why should i recruit differently at those two positions?

I'm just disgusted with EA sports. I did a brief google on this and found threads from 2006 where folks were complaining about this and were saying "well I hope EA will fix it for next year". Yeah, right...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »