Home

Why EA Sports doesn't think...

This is a discussion on Why EA Sports doesn't think... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2003, 01:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Why EA Sports doesn\'t think...

1) SI Cover logic makes no sense...

I was ranked 62 in the in the nation and beat #5 UofM and got every page in SI. The next week I was 24th in the nation and beat #1 Ohio State in a double overtime game...not even mentioned in the covers. Texas beating some other school was on the cover (not oklahoma...because I could see that making the cover...) It was absolutely ********.

2) Interceptions. In games that I play against the computer there are about 6-7 interceptions on average. The game I played against Penn State there were 12 interceptions by the AI. I threw 5 and they threw 7. Not to mention nearly all of those interceptions came somewhere around the endzone.

3) AI receivers break their routes too often.

Money play on all levels = Hail Mary then you tell your Splits to run outs with Hot routes...you can choose who you want. The only problem is...about every 1 in 5 times your receiver who is WIDE OPEN will bolt up the field and your QB will lead him that way...right into an int. I've never seen it happen where it didn't result in an int. Total bull****.

4) Games appear to be scripted. I know people have complained about this for a while...but it can be made subtle. I was up 21 - 0 starting the 4th quarter against Wisconsin. I kickoff and they return it. They kickoff I fumble it and they run 1 pass play (I had called Nickle Man Cover 2) and get a touchdown. They do an onside kick and recover. 3 plays later they score...THEN they get the 2pt conversion!!!! It was total bull****. I march my guys down the field and I'm on the 16 yard line about to score...I throw a pick to a guy...It hits him in the helmet, bounces in the air and Wisconsin dives and makes the int. NEXT PLAY...92 yard touchdown pass into cloud 3 coverage. If that's not scripted I don't know what is. I had been winning games left and right and I didn't have a bad game overall. That fourth quarter was just too uncanny.

5) DL have tractor beams. As a fullback running through the line it's pretty obvious that you would be tackled a lot. But it seems like when there is a hole in the line big enough for a mack truck to drive through...your runners are sucked into the heels of DL and somehow the lineman can spin and tackle. It's like the Linebacker suction problem but in reverse.

6. Recruiting preferences for players. I win 2 rose bowls and play for the national championship in 3 consecutive seasons. STILL players want to go and play for Nebraska, Michigan, and Florida. Florida was unranked in one of those seasons, Michigan was good, and Nebraska didn't make a bowl in any of the three years in question!!! I realize MSU isn't an amazing program, but even Northwestern got good recruits while they were winning. Again it stinks of poorly written logic.

The game is great. It has it's problems like all games. BUT there are some things that should be so obvious and easy to code that I shouldn't have to write about them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2003, 01:57 PM   #2
2010,13,15,16 CHAMPS!

SidVish's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Why EA Sports doesn\'t think...

Quote:

medlinke said:

I was ranked 62 in the in the nation and beat #5 UofM and got every page in SI. The next week I was 24th in the nation and beat #1 Ohio State in a double overtime game...not even mentioned in the covers. Texas beating some other school was on the cover (not oklahoma...because I could see that making the cover...) It was absolutely ********.

2) Interceptions. In games that I play against the computer there are about 6-7 interceptions on average. The game I played against Penn State there were 12 interceptions by the AI. I threw 5 and they threw 7. Not to mention nearly all of those interceptions came somewhere around the endzone.

Money play on all levels = Hail Mary then you tell your Splits to run outs with Hot routes...you can choose who you want. The only problem is...about every 1 in 5 times your receiver who is WIDE OPEN will bolt up the field and your QB will lead him that way...right into an int. I've never seen it happen where it didn't result in an int. Total bull****.

4) Games appear to be scripted. I know people have complained about this for a while...but it can be made subtle. I was up 21 - 0 starting the 4th quarter against Wisconsin. I kickoff and they return it. They kickoff I fumble it and they run 1 pass play (I had called Nickle Man Cover 2) and get a touchdown. They do an onside kick and recover. 3 plays later they score...THEN they get the 2pt conversion!!!! It was total bull****. I march my guys down the field and I'm on the 16 yard line about to score...I throw a pick to a guy...It hits him in the helmet, bounces in the air and Wisconsin dives and makes the int. NEXT PLAY...92 yard touchdown pass into cloud 3 coverage. If that's not scripted I don't know what is. I had been winning games left and right and I didn't have a bad game overall. That fourth quarter was just too uncanny.

5) DL have tractor beams. As a fullback running through the line it's pretty obvious that you would be tackled a lot. But it seems like when there is a hole in the line big enough for a mack truck to drive through...your runners are sucked into the heels of DL and somehow the lineman can spin and tackle. It's like the Linebacker suction problem but in reverse.

6. Recruiting preferences for players. I win 2 rose bowls and play for the national championship in 3 consecutive seasons. STILL players want to go and play for Nebraska, Michigan, and Florida. Florida was unranked in one of those seasons, Michigan was good, and Nebraska didn't make a bowl in any of the three years in question!!! I realize MSU isn't an amazing program, but even Northwestern got good recruits while they were winning. Again it stinks of poorly written logic.

The game is great. It has it's problems like all games. BUT there are some things that should be so obvious and easy to code that I shouldn't have to write about them.

OMG!
Old 09-14-2003, 03:03 PM   #3
Please don't go.

cooldude's Arena

OVR: 15
Location: One of The World's Leaders in Crude Oil: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Quote:

medlinke said:

You see, there is this thing in sports called momentum. Football, like most sports has a large bit of momentum in it. One big play or one quick score can get the crowd back into it or take them out of it in a hurry. But okay they're scripted buddy
Old 09-14-2003, 03:36 PM   #4
MVP

Jayhawk's Arena

OVR: 13

Don't like it? Don't play it.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:44 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Never said I didn't like it...in fact I said I do like it...but obviously opinions aren't welcome...I'll consider it a lesson learned.

Additionally...admit that scoring 22 points in the fourth quarter after being dominated so completely is incredibly unlikely. I'll admit that it could be a fluke built in to create some kind of amazing comeback engine that happens only on rare occasion which is totally likely. It happens every season once or twice...but it seems like the AI gets stronger and stronger and the more unlikely things start to happen is when you are up by a lot. Just an observation over the course of about 96 games played to this point.

I like the game, but as I stated before...the logic used doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense in some instances.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:

medlinke said:
Never said I didn't like it...in fact I said I do like it...but obviously opinions aren't welcome...I'll consider it a lesson learned.

Additionally...admit that scoring 22 points in the fourth quarter after being dominated so completely is incredibly unlikely.

Blah, blah, blah..go watch the first Wake Forest game of the year or the Florida/Miami game.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:51 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Regarding your points:

1) I've seen this too. Seems to me that it's difficult to make the SI cover twice in a row. I've had mentions on various pages multiple weeks in a row, but only when I'm among the top 10 teams.

2) I personally think interceptions are too common, and I've adjusted the sliders way down on both sides. Now they tend to occur after bad passes, significant QB pressure, the sort of situations where you'd expect them to be more likely. Seriously, if you think there are too many interceptions, that's what the sliders are for.

3) Even worse is when you have a wide open receiver and my QB decides it's better to throw 10 yards behind the WR and into the safety's hands. Argh. I haven't noticed your problem, though.

4) I've seen some amazing comebacks, but I've also made some amazing comebacks, so it seems to be fairly balanced on both sides. Like others mentioned, there definitely seems to be a momentum effect, where one big play can snowball into a comeback or blowout.

5) One of my biggest complaints. The defensive AI seems to have some kind of radar, although I see it more in the secondary than the DL. Ever have 3-4 receivers going out into zone coverage, your QB throws the ball and within about half a second, every CB and safety is converging on the intended receiver? I throw to a WR in single coverage, but by the time the ball gets there he's in triple or quadruple coverage. That's annoying. I watch the replays, and I see the safeties and corners change directions and head for the intended receiver when the ball is only about a yard out of the QB's hand.

6. Building a great team, winning bowl games and NCs shouldn't automatically make everyone want to come to your school. Players have lots of other concerns and biases, think about the real world. Ohio State won the NC last year, does that mean every HS senior wanted to go there? Maybe they've always dreamed of going to Florida or Texas, maybe they always hated Ohio State, maybe they want to stay in the south or on the West coast. I think the recruiting logic is pretty good, and have to disagree with you here.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:53 AM   #8
Pac12fan

ochoco's Arena

OVR: 12

I read your post and you bring up some good points. I agree with a few. Dont be put off by the people here who knock anyone who posts anything bad. It's not all their fault. They are bitter from many of the same posts repeated. They tend to forget that this is a discussion board and telling people not to post their opinion is a bit ignorant.

The game does have comeback AI or "keep the game close" AI. At least in my opinion. But it is never gonna be perfect and for me its pretty damn close to perfect for a video game. Best Football Game I have ever played. (super tecmo bowl is a close second)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »