Home

What offense do you run?

This is a discussion on What offense do you run? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #57
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: What offense do you run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
My air raid book right now usually tries to get at least one base concept in every formation, it's usually Mesh, which is in 11 of my formations and Shallow Cross which is in 9. Stick is in all of them just because it is the quick audible in every formation.

I'm worried about just using Read/Speed option alone in these same formations because they aren't as smooth in these as opposed to some of the wing formations. But I also don't want to get stuck in a position where my formation gives my tendency away.

I may try and go with Okie State under Zac Robinson and run a bit more option out of the same formations initially and then see what else I can do as I go.
I try to have a pretty balanced offense, so you may tweak this for your air-raid, but this is how I set up my playbook.
You typically are allowed around 360 plays and a max of 40 formations. I run a balanced spread out of the Pistol and Shotgun and try to use around 24 or 25 formations which allows around 15 plays each. In each formation I typically have 6 run/option plays (an outside run, an inside run, a counter, read option, triple option and speed Option) and 9 pass plays (a playaction rollout, a couple screens, and around 6 pass plays which usually includes Stick, Strong Flood, Mesh or Shallow Crosses, and Verticals).
6 run/option plays x 24 formations = 144 run/option plays
9 pass plays x 24 formations = 216 pass plays
I think this setup allows me to have enough variety of different formations and play types in each formation.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 22

I run the spread offense with my Toledo Rockets, love short passes, i've been wanting to edit the playbook though, so i can add some running formations into the style, so i can utilize my star running back a bit better.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #59
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU
I try to have a pretty balanced offense, so you may tweak this for your air-raid, but this is how I set up my playbook.
You typically are allowed around 360 plays and a max of 40 formations. I run a balanced spread out of the Pistol and Shotgun and try to use around 24 or 25 formations which allows around 15 plays each. In each formation I typically have 6 run/option plays (an outside run, an inside run, a counter, read option, triple option and speed Option) and 9 pass plays (a playaction rollout, a couple screens, and around 6 pass plays which usually includes Stick, Strong Flood, Mesh or Shallow Crosses, and Verticals).
6 run/option plays x 24 formations = 144 run/option plays
9 pass plays x 24 formations = 216 pass plays
I think this setup allows me to have enough variety of different formations and play types in each formation.
Hope this helps.
My current air raid has 5 Pistol (all of them 2-3 back) and 14 Shotgun. Within each, I tried to compile whatever air raid principals were in them and a ton of screens. So I have a ton of Mesh, Shallow Cross, Stick, Y Corner, Smash/Shake/Strike with Mid Screen, Slip Screen, Bubble Screen and the HB Swing Screen which is deadly.

Each formation then usually has 2 run plays. A sweep or quick base play and a counter. A few of the formations have draws in them, Spread Flex has that nasty Dive play and Empty Quads has the motion read option.

I'm either thinking about taking this book as is and just replacing the Sweep's with Read Option or changing everything up and trying to do a read option based playbook that happens to have air raid concepts. I'm just not sure yet.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #60
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
I started off the year at UNC using their playbook...which is a pro style attack. We used a lot of motion, fullback, H-Back, TE action. But after game 3 I decided to make a change that best fit my team and what I wanna do from here on out. We now run the One Back set with Gio Bernard as the feature back. We spread the field and get matchups and we run well out of it too. I'm gonna go back and look at our numbers for the first 3 games and then see what they look like after. I'm about to play #9 and we are 16th in the country in pass offense after a slow start...and Gio is like 4th in the country averaging 130)@/ and 5.9yd/car.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #61
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

I call my offense the 'Power Storm'.

I basically took Oregon's playbook and modified it with some I and other power formations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #62
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm getting kind of overloaded with offensive schemes right now. Three ongoing dynasties, one with Oklahoma State, one with Hawai'i, one with Nebraska. At OSU, I am running a true air raid like I described earlier in the thread. I just started at Hawai'i and am not sure if I want to run the exact same playbook I use for OSU or maybe take the same concepts up add a few Ace and Flexbone Run and Shoot concepts.

As for Nebraska, I don't know what the hell I'm doing any more. I started running Spread Option, couldn't pass protect at all so I decided to go with a heavy under center option attack. That worked great and I lead the nation in rushing, but there were 5 games in a 13 game season that I threw 2 or less passes.

I have Martinez and Burkhead so the rushing game will be a huge part of this, but I also have 3 true freshman tailbacks that are all beasts. I am thinking about creating a multiple back offense that gets 2 or 3 of my 4 stud backs on the field at the same time.

Maybe start with 2 Flexbone (Normal and Close, since I only want balanced formations in Flex), all 3 Wishbone, Pistol Full House and the 4 other 2 back Pistol formations, a handful of I and then a variety of gun formations that can get multiple backs on the field either in the backfield or through motion. Not sure if what I'm thinking will work, but I like the idea in theory.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »