Home

The option and outside runs in general

This is a discussion on The option and outside runs in general within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Banned

psychicDB's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldTonk
One thing I've noticed with option, toss and outside running plays is that if you have a WR on that side that is covered tightly, the WR pretty much just stands there. My HB gets the ball and the CB is on him in no time.
Yeah WR vs CB blocking is reason #43,786 this game is broken. It's hilarious to watch the WR with instant replay on these types of plays, at the snap he does this weird move where he sort of takes a step but stays in the exact same spot(like that dance move where you run in place) and following that literally just stands there and watches the CB run right past him. Then by the time the CB has tackled the runner he starts to move. Absolutely useless.

Last edited by psychicDB; 11-01-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
Pro

YeOldTonk's Arena

OVR: 6
Location: Foothills of the Cascade Mountains in the great PacNW
Re: The option and outside runs in general

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychicDB
Yeah WR vs CB blocking is reason #43,786 this game is broken. It's hilarious to watch the CB with instant replay on these types of plays, at the snap he does this weird move where he sort of takes a step but stays in the exact same spot(like that dance move where you run in place) and following that literally just stands there and watches the CB run right past him. Then by the time the CB has tackled the runner he starts to move. Absolutely useless.
Yeah, pretty much spot on. I've watched a replay a few times trying to figure where the hell that defender came from and the wide out pretty much just stands there.

I thought I remember hearing that the option was supposedly fixed or tweaked in an update, but don't think I heard anything definitive.

This thing called Twitter I do sometimes

What's your thoughts? It's a game.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Sounds like most of you are talking about shotgun, which is pretty much hit or miss (mostly miss) in terms of the option. I have a custom option book that has I, Wishbone, Shotgun Wing formations, Pistol to throw and Flexbone Normal for the tosses and sweeps and I rush for about 300 yards a game using mostly option and Power O or Blast.

You have to be quick at making that read of the end and you have to draw the defenders to your QB. If your QB doesn't get hit on the play, it will either be a big gain for the QB or short gain. The QB getting hit is what springs most outside option plays from the Power or Triple Option. That takes at least one inside defender out of the play and gets your back on the edge.

Don't be afraid to give inside to the FB (in my case a 2nd or 3rd HB) because more often than not, the end stays home. And on non-option outside runs, don't be afraid to cut back. That is what they are designed to do. If the D is overcommitted outside, that means the inside is probably open.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 11

Flexbone/Wishbone option is actually pretty easy compared to other running plays/formations.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

The other thing I forgot to mention for you guys running the Shotgun Wing formations. Run that HB Toss. It sucked hard last year but it actually works very well this year to get a speed back out in space.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4ckdabeast
Flexbone/Wishbone option is actually pretty easy compared to other running plays/formations.
That's all well and good...but it doesn't change the fact that out of the spread formation, outside runs and the option simply don't work.

It also doesn't change the fact that the CPU defense is lining up in defenses that don't exist in any playbook. I don't know any formation that has 4 LBs grouped together on one side of the field. That and the fact that the CPU jumps the snap 9 out of every 10 snaps...ugh.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomhunt
That's all well and good...but it doesn't change the fact that out of the spread formation, outside runs and the option simply don't work.
Well, yeah. But when you say "the option," I think of Flexbone/Wishbone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4ckdabeast
Well, yeah. But when you say "the option," I think of Flexbone/Wishbone.
Yeah, I understand that. I should use the term "option plays." But, I'm done with EA sports football games. I traded NCAA 12 in this afternoon and picked up BF3. Already enjoying it a lot more. I don't need a football game that I am willing to endure this glitchfest anymore.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »