Home

Can I get any impressions on these aspects of the game?

This is a discussion on Can I get any impressions on these aspects of the game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Rookie

Frank the Tank's Arena

OVR: 2
Can I get any impressions on these aspects of the game?

Sorry if this kind of questions appears quite a bit, but I've owned several past versions of the game, including last years' version. Haven't bought this year because I've been waiting to see how these thing play in 2012. I'm most interested in the following things if anyone can speak to them (and btw, I am pretty much an offline player who plays dynasty mode) -

General realisticness of the gameplay. Will running QBs actually leave the pocket and run? Can opponents who run flexbone actually run the ball against you? Will read option teams run the read option a lot (and does it work better than it usually did last year?) Is there any improvement in zone coverage on defense, or do guys just go to an area and stand there like last year? Does the AI make smarter pass reads, or like last year, will they check down to a receiver in the flat even though you are in man coverage and a guy is standing right there? Will the AI make smarter play calls? (Last year I would commonly give up 400-500 yards to the other team but they still usually scored under 30 points because their red zone offense was dumb.) Will the AI still attempt 62 yard field goals with a kicker who is 80 overall?

How does dynasty play this year as time goes by? Last year many people complained that the dynasty feature broke down over time, sometimes due to guys playing out of position on the depth chart and so forth. Is it any better or about the same?

Finally, for the AI simmed games, are the stats realistic at all? Last year I recall that running backs never got 10+ yard runs in the simmed games, so even good backs averaged like 3.5 ypc in sim games. Meaning also that teams that depended on the running game didn't fare as well as passing ones in the sim games. And other dumb things like QB awareness being the deciding factor in comp %. If I recall, one guy put a middle lb at QB who had good awareness and the guy completed 60% or so in simmed games. Just wondering if this has improved its accuracy?

Many thanks if you can speak to any of these things, because what I really value most is accurate gameplay that won't take a million tweaks of sliders and player ability to get to a playable level.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 11-13-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Rookie

Ike Slider2's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Can I get any impressions on these aspects of the game?

In response to your questions
Running QBs will leave the pocket and run, generally when under pressure
Yes, they can, however I haven't seen them break off many 10+yd runs, but they average 4 or so YPC, if you highlight the pitchman though and the direction of the motion, they can't run
Read option teams seem to run in sometimes, but not a ton, it is semi-effective, but only really when part of the triple-option in option only playbook is when you see it
Zone coverage is improved but not great, gives the completion most of the time, but not much yardage
The AIs passing is improved, especially if you tinker a little with the WR catch and the QB accuracy sliders, most of the time they'll make a good read, but sometimes have trouble with quick passes and linebackers or long bombs
Smarter playcalls sort of it's really a mild improvement I'd say with some trouble inside the 10
The longest field goal I've seen the AI try was 53

Dynasty is good, if you have coaching carousel turned off, if it's on everyone progresses like crazy and you have tons of 99s. The ratings over time will get a little too high because of recruits generally coming in about 2-3 points too high. Also I've not seen the out of position stuff except in the secondary for bad teams

Sim stats have improved a lot, and now seem pretty good, I actually tried putting a FS with good awareness and 60 THA with 70 THP and while decent on the option over a couple of games he ended up around a 38% completion percentage with ~100 yds total passing

Summary, you need some sliders because the out of the box isn't perfect but after 5-10 minutes of tweaking you'll be good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »