Home

I can't pass worth **** in this game.

This is a discussion on I can't pass worth **** in this game. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: I can't pass worth **** in this game.

If it's reading defenses that you need work at, start by going in practice mode and getting in some formation (any formation, really) that has just 2 WR's to a side. Hot route one WR to a go route and one to a out. That's usually the biggest mismatch/easiest read you can get. After you get that down, other reads such as slants/in and outs and drags/go routes will come much easier.

From what I've found, 80% of passing in NCAA is just creating and finding holes in defenses, even in man coverage.

@AdamdotH
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

what I've learned in this game is players who are wide open aren't really open, in particular over the middle. stay away from that, it'll just cause more headaches.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juce734
Personally I am not very good myself but try some formations with 3 wr to a side and you may be able to get an open guy. Plus doing that and hitting the hb out of the backfield to that side can be helpful as well.
This is a very good tip. If you're struggling with the passing game, run a ton of trips formations. It forces the defense to show its hand before the snap so 9 times out of 10, you'll know where you are going with the ball before you snap it.

Get comfortable with a handful of pass plays/routes and then slowly work in more and more. I personally pass successfully a ton, but I still only throw around 50-55% just because of drops and knock downs.

The most successful plays for me are combination routes to one side. Plays where it doesn't matter what coverage the D is in, one of the WR's will come open. Curl flats is probably the most basic one, Z Spot is good, Stick is good. Then you can move on to things like Shallow Cross and then some of the deeper routes that attack safeties.

A lot of it is just timing. The biggest thing for me was not to get in so much of a hurry to deliver the ball that the WR just couldn't make the play or he'd get drilled.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

great tips in here already i'll add, use the hot routes to always have a short 3-5 yd route in the play as a quick outlet in case you get fooled on the coverage... it could be the RB or TE or a WR drag route always keep a dump off option.

also on 3rd and long i would suggest let the RB block because linemen seem to miss blocks alot on that down imo.....

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 01-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #13
Banned

1GATOR FAN's Arena

OVR: 9

Passing in this game is hard at times for even experinced players...

1.CPU still runs routes better than your Wr at times
2.LB are can still swat passes easy as there is no arch on the ball when thrown
3.I still see my Wr just let the ball slam then in the face as if they had no clue
4.Wr also fail to dive or reach for the ball at times even though the ball is a arm reach away
5.D-lineman as well as defenders react to a pass as soon as you select a button instead of reacting while it's on the air
6. A single defender can cover multiple Wrs on deep routes even if he is not looking.
7. DT's break through often and will destroy you
8. If your QB is not a accuracy thrower then forget leading passes as this often leads to many many over throws or maybe even picks.

As you can see many things make passing hard in this game. Bump it to Heisman and it can get brutal on default settings.. I do like the challenge though I just we had more controlle over the ball and could drop it over LB's and such if your timed it right

But sorry for no tips as alot were provided already lol
Old 01-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #14
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

All of those are certainly problems, but knowing they are in the game allows you to avoid them with a little planning.

1. Manually control your WR and come back for the ball. You can shorten the distance and be just fine. On curl routes where the CB is on your guys back, aim straight down at the ground. Your WR will leave his feet to go get it, the DB will not. In extreme cases, just don't throw it.

2. Super LB's are brutal, but they are stuck in place. Just hold the ball a second longer and your WR will clear them. Then throw.

3. Happens, usually on crossing routes (happens to me all the time in Mesh) but it really only happens when the ball is thrown late. I'll take my chances on it.

4. This one is worse than #3 but the easy fix is manually take control of the guy and catch it. I manually catch every pass I throw, so I don't see this much. The worst offenders of this are actually throws to the flats, but I am convinced the game is programmed to prevent snap throws to the flat by just having your WR not turn.

5. This one is the worst on your list because it is just so blatant. Like when you get hit and never release the pass but the DL in front of you jumps. The only time I really think about this is on WR Mid Screens when the play side DE/DT are released. On those, I try and side step right before the throw to have it clear them.

6. True, but again, he cannot cover them both indefinitely. Wait a second and he will have to decide. Only plays like X Follow where you have a Streak/Post combo or Smash out of Trips where you have a Streak/Corner combo both attacking the deep safety, just wait one extra beat and one of the guys will clear. On verticals, if there is one guy covering both, throw the inside guy, he has the leverage.

7. Get the ball out quicker. Leave a HB in to block. Move out of the pocket. If none of these work, your sliders are way too high for CPU pass rush.

8. It seems like this is the case in real life. If I have Taylor Martinez at QB, I can't expect Andrew Luck accuracy from him. Run the ball more. This becomes worse of a problem with Home Field Advantage though, which is incredibly overpowered.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Banned

therealslimshady's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseGirl
what I've learned in this game is players who are wide open aren't really open, in particular over the middle. stay away from that, it'll just cause more headaches.
I dont find this true at all. I complete most of my pass's over the middle
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #16
MVP

Dirty Turtles's Arena

OVR: 10

I play on Heisman with one of the many available slider sets, but I don't know for sure which one it is.

I usually play with weaker teams (in a dynasty right now with Memphis), and I complete about 60% of my passes and usually throw for 400 yards or more per game. I've learned when I can fit things in and over the defense. The LT button has also helped tremendously.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »