Home

Pass blocking question

This is a discussion on Pass blocking question within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Rookie

xBaBaBooeyx's Arena

OVR: 1
Pass blocking question

I still get sacked way too often. Does anyone use the RB hot route to block left/right? I haven't tried it before and was wondering if it actually worked or was just a gimmick. Slide protection for me is usually ineffective but I thought maybe this would help. Or should I just accept the fact that I'm gonna get sacked 5-6 times a game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Pass blocking question

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBaBaBooeyx
I still get sacked way too often. Does anyone use the RB hot route to block left/right? I haven't tried it before and was wondering if it actually worked or was just a gimmick. Slide protection for me is usually ineffective but I thought maybe this would help. Or should I just accept the fact that I'm gonna get sacked 5-6 times a game?
I do it every pass play that the back doesn't have a good route. Unfortunately, I don't see a whole lot of success. I pass a ton and get sacked A TON, about 5-6 times a game is usually what I see as well. Sometimes it is because my WR's all get jammed, but more often than not, it is one guy just blowing right through.

Slide protection is useless because it slides too far and the end opposite of the slide walks in, even if you leave the back in to block that side. Any time I leave him in to block, I feel like he doesn't block anything. He has awful block ratings though. I may try subbing my FB in there and give it a try.

You should do it though, it is going to help more than it will hurt.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I use the hot route blocking and have good luck with it. I also use slide protection if I see a blitz coming from one side and have good luck with that also. I have never seen the opposite side DE come free. I play in coach mode, maybe that makes a difference.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

any time i slide protection, the opposite end walks free for me as well. I wish there as a way you could tell your players to cut block. I hate recognizing the blitz. hot routing the slant or drag behind it, then getting it knocked down at the LOS
Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11

Directional blocking works okay, but unless the RB has good block ratings (warning: they never do), you're normally better off hot routing a TE to block instead.

I never slide protect - the line always slides too far and lets the backside shoot in.

Hot routing a RB to pass block is effective to get out of a PA play when the D is blitzing though.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Last edited by WipeOut464; 01-15-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 9

In madden pinching the line and having your back block to the outside works great, however I have found in ncaa the aggressive line protect with the back blocking to the side of the blitz works wonders. I'm currently using dj's slider set but this has worked on every level I've played on sliders or default.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Rookie

dymndheartkilla's Arena

OVR: 1
React to the pressure accordingly. I rarely get sacked and if I do it's more often than not only a 2-4 yard loss.

If pressure comes up the middle I roll out. If pressure comes from the outside I step up into the pocket. It may just be the sliders I use but pockets form well enough.

Use quick pass concepts if you're having trouble protecting. Get to the line quickly and take the time to read the coverage.

These things will surely help. There were a couple guys in my dynasty that were having trouble with sacks and they've pretty much eliminated the problem.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 13

Madden's pass blocking was made much better than NCAA's. I noticed even on the demo to the retail version that blocking was terrible. Even the best line falls apart either from being thrown down or confused as who to block. Screens are atrocious and unless you have a very mobile QB options don't work because physic CBs and linebackers already know the option is coming blowing passed the blockers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »