Home

Question on Option Plays (specifically the QB)

This is a discussion on Question on Option Plays (specifically the QB) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Question on Option Plays (specifically the QB)

I've noticed that when trying to run an option attack, the biggest drawback is the QB position. It takes the QB too long to get up to top speed after the ball is snapped, and coupled with the defense's ultra-quick reaction, makes it difficult to run this offense effectively.

Is there a slider combination I should look at (threshold, RBA Ability, Defense Run Reaction) that would help, or is it more of a ratings issue for the QB (acceleration, speed, run awareness) that I need to look into?

I'm wanting to start a Dynasty with Air Force, but if I can't run half of the plays in the playbook, it's not going to be a lot of fun.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Question on Option Plays (specifically the QB)

From what I understand they did this to stop people online from abusing speedy QBs and in doing so, like you said, killed half the option plays in the book. No matter what slider you tinker with the QB will always be out of your control for the first few step as he slowly stutters right into the defenders path rendering speedy options useless...
Old 01-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Supposedly, alot of the QB's athletic abilities have been nerfed for "balance". Also, on the option plays, the play starts out with a forced animation that brings the QB forward and parallel to the line, that amount of time essentially allows the defense to roll right in and make the tackle. On the read option plays, it seems like the DE never EVER crashes in, so u pretty much always give the ball away to have a bit of success. At least that's how it seems to me. I dont kno of sliders that make a difference.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Rookie

jarato's Arena

OVR: 0
If u haven't already, try turning off auto sprint and manually controlling it with the right trigger for 360 or r2 for ps3. Don't use sprint immediately as it causes the defense to react faster.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarato
If u haven't already, try turning off auto sprint and manually controlling it with the right trigger for 360 or r2 for ps3. Don't use sprint immediately as it causes the defense to react faster.
Funny you should mention that! I just realized this while experimenting on madden i thought I would translate it to ncaa and it has reeeeally opened up the run game especially on shotgun/option runs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarato
mine is off and i've laid off the sprint considerably since getting this game. For the QB speed option, you are literally not in control of the QB for 2 seconds.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Running plays to the outside in general don't seem to work...for BOTH user and the CPU. The defense is just so much quicker on these plays. EA needs to fix it.

I can live with not running the option, but it is really bad when playing a CPU team that runs the option or alot of sweeps out of the shotgun. I can almost set my controller down and watch my CPU teammates shutdown the CPU.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

YES there is a way! I have obsessed over improving this and have oticed some tweaks that can help. A really high threshold (like 85+), with decreased cpu sliders helps to make the qbs first few steps less slow in comparison to other players. I set the cpu rb ability to 5 (becuz it affects speed of all cpu players).

Cpu sliders:
Rb ability 5
Rush def 5
Tackling 5

Now adjust Human sliders to compensate for weaker rush defense.
Rb ability 35ish
Run block 30ish

Also i recommend bumping up game speed one setting higher than what ur used to (i prefer fast).
Increasing qb acc and agility to 99 is a must as the qbs actual in game agi and acc ratings will still probably be the lowest on the field due to this anti-cheesing patch.

Its an overall improvement to me as run alot of read option from the spread but other areas are a little different.

Oh, and varsity difficulty works best with these sliders. Give it a shot and tinker with it til its right for you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »