Home

How do you user control a player on PS3?

This is a discussion on How do you user control a player on PS3? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How do you user control a player on PS3?

I don't think I'm doing this properly. Whenever I control a safety to follow a running back for example, I can never be accurate enough to tackle him...he'll just run right past me. Do you user control him until the very last moment and then press X to let the computer take over? What about user picks/catches? My timing never works for this and usually what happens is that I'll press triangle and then my player will just stop.

I realize this is a very elementary question but if anyone could break this down for me I'd appreciate it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: How do you user control a player on PS3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1
I don't think I'm doing this properly. Whenever I control a safety to follow a running back for example, I can never be accurate enough to tackle him...he'll just run right past me. Do you user control him until the very last moment and then press X to let the computer take over? What about user picks/catches? My timing never works for this and usually what happens is that I'll press triangle and then my player will just stop.

I realize this is a very elementary question but if anyone could break this down for me I'd appreciate it
If you played NCAA the last few years, manual tackling will take some getting used to. The angles and pursuit and everything is just different. The big changes I had to make this year were:

1) No more hit stick. Timing was brutal and too easy to miss. I still use it effectively hitting receivers or backs in the backfield, but in the open field, never.

2) Try to get perpendicular with the ball carrier on those outside the hash runs and use the sideline for help. If you're coming straight at a ball carrier, you're going to be in trouble.

3) STRAFE. Strafe is without a doubt the key to defense in this game. If you're playing as a safety, you should be strafing at the snap covering your assignment and if you see it is a run, then sprint hard but as you approach the ball carrier, it helps to break down and strafe again to make sure you square him up.If you're struggling, one thing you might do is what you suggested. Handle the pursuit part yourself and then let then switch off so the CPU does the actual tackle. Then as you start getting angles and everything down and see how the CPU goes after him, you can start controlling through the tackle.

Practice mode helps for tackling. You can set the CPU to just run inside or outside runs and just sit there and practice tackling over and over.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How do you user control a player on PS3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
If you played NCAA the last few years, manual tackling will take some getting used to. The angles and pursuit and everything is just different. The big changes I had to make this year were:

1) No more hit stick. Timing was brutal and too easy to miss. I still use it effectively hitting receivers or backs in the backfield, but in the open field, never.

2) Try to get perpendicular with the ball carrier on those outside the hash runs and use the sideline for help. If you're coming straight at a ball carrier, you're going to be in trouble.

3) STRAFE. Strafe is without a doubt the key to defense in this game. If you're playing as a safety, you should be strafing at the snap covering your assignment and if you see it is a run, then sprint hard but as you approach the ball carrier, it helps to break down and strafe again to make sure you square him up.If you're struggling, one thing you might do is what you suggested. Handle the pursuit part yourself and then let then switch off so the CPU does the actual tackle. Then as you start getting angles and everything down and see how the CPU goes after him, you can start controlling through the tackle.

Practice mode helps for tackling. You can set the CPU to just run inside or outside runs and just sit there and practice tackling over and over.
Thanks man! Very helpful info

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »