Home

Coaching Carousel is Trash. Re-invent it in '13.

This is a discussion on Coaching Carousel is Trash. Re-invent it in '13. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

OVR: 13
Coaching Carousel is Trash. Re-invent it in '13.

I bought this game on release, and played it pretty heavily the first month or two. I was addicted to online play/dynasties until the patching began, causing defensive play-calling to not be as fun. I didn't like how most of the players backed up 20 yards instead of standing in the pocket, and since a four man rush was rendered useless, he would have all day to back up and pick apart the sorry coverage.

Then, the option was broken, where the CPU defenders would literally stand there sidestepping while both the QB and RB both zipped past him. This ultimately was a game breaker for me because a lot of people would exploit this online. Anyway, enough of the gameplay rant... I recently decided to brush the dust off (7 months) and put it back in. Why? I love college football.

I attempted to play an offline dynasty as I was not having fun playing the game anymore, but I love college football and I love the thought of building a program from the ground up into a contender. I love the recruiting aspect. I love setting gameplans and analyzing my opponents pre-game. It really made me feel like a coach.

I decided to choose Idaho because they seemed like a fun school to build on. My initial plan was to put them in the Pac-14 in a few years along with Boise once they started dominating. Since I don't enjoy playing this stupid game, I found some great CPU vs CPU, 9 min quarter sliders.

Three years later......

I have no idea what Idaho's record was before I took over, but I'm 100% certain that they would not fire a coach who went 8-5 his first year, and 9-4 the next two years. Three straight bowl appearances and a finish in the top 3 every single year in the conference standings. Not to mention a coach that is bringing in a lot of talented 3-4* prospects from around the nation.

Surely my job is secure, right?

Are you ******* kidding me? I have literally spent days upon days just on this one dynasty. Year 3, 9 minute quarters, not a single sim, endless analyzing of opponents and high school prospects that will fit my ideal scheme, etc. Days, literally. All down the drain. Why in the hell did this happen? Better yet, HOW could it happen? I have a 26-13 career record at one of the worst schools in the country, and bringing in a top 25 recruiting class in just my third season.

I'm done with this. I could start over and have 'Coaching Contracts' switched to [OFF], but I just invested too much time in my Idaho dynasty to care anymore. I watched every single play of every single game over the course of three years, and genuinely got excited while watching a lot of those close, OT games. I even risked looking like a complete nerd in front of my girlfriend for rooting for an imaginary football team.

Anyway, I'm out. I'm not about to be the offensive coordinator for Colorado (best offer).

Hopefully the coaching carousel won't be broken in NCAA 13. Please, share your stories of coaching carousel failures. I need a good laugh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
MVP

cyclone2426's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Coaching Carousel is Trash. Re-invent it in '13.

I hate how the contracts never reflect your playbook/coaching style. If I'm running the Run N Shoot, half my goals shouldnt be rushing related. I've seen coaches fired because of it too. One funny thing I do remember is one season I won the Championship, then my D Coordinator took a HC job at a smaller school, then my school turned around and hired the coach that got fired at the small school to be our D Coordinator.

Facebook - Custom Sports Covers
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9

I literally had the same exact experience with the University of Buffalo. I had three winning records and three bowl appearances and was "let go" (no contract extension). I honestly don't think EA actually plays its own game or they must think everyone just wins the NC every year with any team they play with.
AFL: Pittsburgh Power
NCAA: PITT Panthers

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
- Jack Lambert
Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11

I had a similar situation. I started with a TB squad with a decent core of juniors and seniors and a weak underclass. The idea being I have a short attention span and tend to restart dynasties a lot so I would focus on playing games early on just in case I restart I wouldn't have wasted time trying to build up a team.

First two years were as expected, 9-10 wins and a couple bowl victories. Because the contract structure is so silly, my first contact was only for two years so following the second season I was given an extension but my goals were a LOT harder. Also my core of juniors and seniors were now long gone and I purposely neglected recruiting so I would have to rebuild, call it a delayed cupcake dynasty.

First year I went 4-8 and failed a TON of goals and ended up on the hot seat, no problem I had three years to turn it around. I don't remember my exact record over the next three seasons but there was a one-loss season in there and two 8-9 win seasons. Not bad right?

Never got off the hot seat, still got fired because no new goals were added to replace the ones I failed in that 4-8 season.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

OVR: 13

I was just curious as to where my class ended up, because I recruited my *** off this season.

EA Sports.... It's in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

Which goal(s) did you fail to meet? Now I am really scared, just started an offline dynasty with WSU and hope the same doesn't happen to me!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have never had this happen to me before, but maybe it has something to do with who replaced you. You are only a C prestige, so that may have something to do with it. If there was an B or even A prestige that they offered instead of you.

TCU Class of 2014!

NCAA --- TCU Horned Frogs & Texas A&M Aggies
NFL --- Houston Texans
MLB --- Texas Rangers
NHL --- Dallas Stars
NBA --- Dallas Mavericks
Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Would've liked to see your contract.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »