Home

How many of you have a PC at least as powerful as your console?

This is a discussion on How many of you have a PC at least as powerful as your console? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Rookie

Dmarzio's Arena

OVR: 1
How many of you have a PC at least as powerful as your console?

I ask this because I've always wished I had a football game to play on my PC. Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3 and my 360 they both see lots of hours as does my PC. I know PC gaming has been far behind consoles as far as sales in the past few years, but with programs like Steam, PC gaming has made a huge come back in recent years.

The reason I've always wanted there to be a PC version of a football game is the ability to mod the game comes into play. Mods allow you to fix a lot of things that the developers either missed or did not have the time to add. I think out of any sports game out there, NCAA Football stands to gain the most by a dedicated community adding on to the game.

Think about it, there are definitely limitations on what the developers can include in the game in regards to "player likeness." There are also 120 FBS teams that all have their own unique uniforms and other items that the developers are constantly trying to keep up with. We see posts all the time here on OS complaining about this or that piece of equipment not being in the game or not looking right. This is all stuff that a dedicated modding community could add to the game fairly easily. If other sports game modding communities are any indication, there would be plenty of people with the know how and talent to constantly be adding content to the game.

While most of the time you cant fix things like gameplay mechanics and game modes and things like that, I think it would help the developers knowing that they don't have to get every little graphical detail right everytime (and I think they've shown that they can't possibly do that), as the community would pick up the slack. This can allow them to focus on the things that can't be touched by the community.

Not to mention most PC's bought in the last couple of years are already more powerful than the PS3 and 360. I own two copies of NBA 2k12 - one for PC and one for PS3. The graphics are amazing on my PC with anti-aliasing and higher resolution. I have my PS3 copy to play online with my friends.

So that brings me to my original question. How many of you own a PC that is as least as capable as your console in terms of performance or better? Would you consider buying the PC version over the console version if it meant you could install mods?

I was just thinking about this the other day when installing Skyrim mods and feeling sorry for those who bought it on consoles. Its amazing what people can do with a decent set of modding tools and free time.

Edit: While EA in the past hasn't embraced the PC as a platform with their sports games in the past, they now have the platform to do it with Origin. I hate Origin with a passion, but I would be okay with it if it meant they brought some more sports games onto the PC.

Last edited by Dmarzio; 04-04-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Banned

raquelraul12's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How many of you have a PC at least as powerful as your console?

everyone will take a console over a powerful PC any day. Powerful PC are to expensive.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelraul12
everyone will take a console over a powerful PC any day. Powerful PC are to expensive.
Maybe if you're poor. A decent PC will run like $500 thats nothing. My current PC craps all over consoles. It's my platform of choice, but without aby real football title to play I also own a 360.

NBA 2K12 on the PC is a great example of what can be done if you release sports games on PC. The mods are just sick check em out : nba-2k.com.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

My Mac crushes my console but there are very few gaming options for mac period let alone sports titles.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelraul12
recently built my dad a new PC, cost around $400(used existing monitor), and even though it wasn't "powerful" compared to other PCs, it was a better "gaming machine" than the PS3/360. the consoles are old tech and are limited in certain areas(like system memory).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

As noted above, a lot of recent mid-level computers are already more powerful than the XBOX 360 and PS3, which are impaired by lack of hard disk space, lack of RAM, and dated multi-core processors.

For example, I'd venture to guess that if you have something as recent as a 2010 Macbook Pro (which had 4GB RAM, an Intel i5 quad-core processor, an nVidia 330M dedicated graphics card, and 320GB hard drive space stock), you already had a machine more powerful than the XBOX 360 or PS3 by most benchmarks.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Banned

Kid FSU's Arena

OVR: 1

NCAA Football on PC would mean never leaving my pc
Old 04-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
Pro

Balrog's Arena

OVR: 14

Ya my pc has about 4x the processing power of my xbox and ps3. I would chose a sports game on pc anyday of the week that ends in Y.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »