Home

What do you think the new passing system is going to be?

This is a discussion on What do you think the new passing system is going to be? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Banned

AttackAttack's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: What do you think the new passing system is going to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJACK
The system is probably everything you saw in that video. If you are expecting some huge systematic change to passing like with the sticks or something be prepared to be disappointed.
Yeah Im thinking your right. It is disappointing. They could do so much more.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

I don't expect to see anything that hasn't been seen in Madden already.

It might be new to NCAA for EA but really it's probably something they already did in Madden at one time or another.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

its nothing thats not already in ncaa 12, it will be more pronounced.

i discovered that this game has the potential to play completely different if you change the ratings.. and that with limited knowledge of whats under the hood..

there will be some new animations for sure, i have played this game so much i notice some plays where i say to myself" if this happened more consistently it could be used as an improved gameplay mechanic"

#18 greatest EVA....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 12

I don't like the idea of ICONS lighting up, seems like something else for the casuals not sim like, imo. I could be wrong, won't rip it yet, but shouldn't you know when the right time is to pass the ball ? Why do we need icons lighting up all over the field ? I don't understand. Hope there is an optionto turn this off. Who comes up with this stuff anyway?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

After going back and watching the video again, he says "trajectory zones" controlled by the left stick, along with describing a scenario where you can now attempt to throw the ball to a specific spot away from a defender in relation to the receiver. I made a post in the Madden forum a while back and rehashed it recently which may be similar to what is described in the video. I am not so narcissistic as to think the idea came from what I proposed or any such nonsense as that, just saying there may be some common themes.

The only thing I would add about the controller mechanics is the need for the left analog stick to no longer be for "lead" passing but to dictate pass trajectory and ball placement. Each of the 8 directions on the left analog stick, should represent where the ball is attempting to be placed in relation to the intended receiver or spot on the field for route based passing. I don't have a diagram but a description in relation to passing to a receiver running down the middle of the field would be, north=high pass, northeast=high pass over the right shoulder, east=chest level pass to the right, southeast=low and away pass to the right, south=low pass, untouched/centered=thrown at the numbers, etc.

I believe having the left stick centered/unmoved and pressing the pass button should be the QB ATTEMPTING to hit the receiver in the numbers/center mass, with player ratings
(accuracy, fatigue, etc), passing mechanics on the throw (feet set, on the run, not enough follow through due to pressure, etc) and weather conditions, effecting how successful they are. With the left stick being a secondary placement modifier in relation to the primary target, like I described earlier.

Now I a can not figure out how you can get 25 trajectories out of that but maybe 16-24 if you combine the 8 different left stick directions and 2-3 button pressure pushes. Allegedly on the PS3 there are 3 button pressure passes, bullet/touch/lob but only 2, bullet/lob on the 360. So strictly speculation but they might adjust the button pressure mechanic in the game so that the button release, instead of the button press, determines the pass type combined with the 8 left stick directions for each type.

For example, a quick release/button tap is a lob, an average release/holding the button down for 1 second is a normal (touch) pass and a slow release/holding the button down for 2 seconds+ is a bullet. Then technically, not touching the left stick at all could the 25th pass trajectory.

We will know more Tuesday, I guess.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 04-15-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
its nothing thats not already in ncaa 12, it will be more pronounced.

i discovered that this game has the potential to play completely different if you change the ratings.. and that with limited knowledge of whats under the hood..

there will be some new animations for sure, i have played this game so much i notice some plays where i say to myself" if this happened more consistently it could be used as an improved gameplay mechanic"
i'm pretty sure EA will re-assest their player ratings in some way and that will change the way DB's play the ball

They will call it something new but really it'll just be a tweak to DB awareness rating

For the LB's i gurantee you if you check their jump ratings on release day EA will probably have just reduced those ratings down ths year.

I hope they really focus on gameplay because there have been enough videos and ratings threads posted on this site in the last 3 years that shows EA if they just dig deep into their own assigned ratings the game would play vastly different.

The last thing some of us want to do is mess with ratings to fix gameplay issues that should have been fixed 4-5 years ago.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Rookie

snowa16's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
After going back and watching the video again, he says "trajectory zones" controlled by the left stick, along with describing a scenario where you can now attempt to throw the ball to a specific spot away from a defender in relation to the receiver. I made a post in the Madden forum a while back and rehashed it recently which may be similar to what is described in the video. I am not so narcissistic as to think the idea came from what I proposed or any such nonsense as that, just saying there may be some common themes.

The only thing I would add about the controller mechanics is the need for the left analog stick to no longer be for "lead" passing but to dictate pass trajectory and ball placement. Each of the 8 directions on the left analog stick, should represent where the ball is attempting to be placed in relation to the intended receiver or spot on the field for route based passing. I don't have a diagram but a description in relation to passing to a receiver running down the middle of the field would be, north=high pass, northeast=high pass over the right shoulder, east=chest level pass to the right, southeast=low and away pass to the right, south=low pass, untouched/centered=thrown at the numbers, etc.

I believe having the left stick centered/unmoved and pressing the pass button should be the QB ATTEMPTING to hit the receiver in the numbers/center mass, with player ratings
(accuracy, fatigue, etc), passing mechanics on the throw (feet set, on the run, not enough follow through due to pressure, etc) and weather conditions, effecting how successful they are. With the left stick being a secondary placement modifier in relation to the primary target, like I described earlier.

Now I a can not figure out how you can get 25 trajectories out of that but maybe 16-24 if you combine the 8 different left stick directions and 2-3 button pressure pushes. Allegedly on the PS3 there are 3 button pressure passes, bullet/touch/lob but only 2, bullet/lob on the 360. So strictly speculation but they might adjust the button pressure mechanic in the game so that the button release, instead of the button press, determines the pass type combined with the 8 left stick directions for each type.

For example, a quick release/button tap is a lob, an average release/holding the button down for 1 second is a normal (touch) pass and a slow release/holding the button down for 2 seconds+ is a bullet. Then technically, not touching the left stick at all could the 25th pass trajectory.

We will know more Tuesday, I guess.
You can already do everything that your suggesting as far as directions are concerned. On a different note I'm pretty sure qb's can already throw on the run so I'm not sure how that is a new feature. I only use balanced or scrambling qb's and I roll out all the time; I hardly ever set up to throw unless I'm going deep.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
I don't like the idea of ICONS lighting up, seems like something else for the casuals not sim like, imo. I could be wrong, won't rip it yet, but shouldn't you know when the right time is to pass the ball ? Why do we need icons lighting up all over the field ? I don't understand. Hope there is an optionto turn this off. Who comes up with this stuff anyway?
The icons light up when the receiver is expecting the ball. It's not a hint system for when they're open.

This means you can't just hike and throw to avoid a blitz and expect a WR to magically see it and adjust. He has to run his route first. I'll leave it to you to conclude if that's good or bad for casuals.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »