Home

NCAA Football 2013 - Will there be duplicate numbers?

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 2013 - Will there be duplicate numbers? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #65
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NCAA Football 2013 - Will there be duplicate numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
That doesn't solve the problem because there are DB's who have played both ways in college.

If your stud RB wears #24 and your two-way CB also wears #24 your saying the game should stop them from being on offense together?

That type of logic would have stopped Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson from ever lining up on offense if someone had the same exact number as they did during that time.
That type of logic makes zero sense.

If you want guys to play both ways or on special teams together, you assign them different numbers. Exactly how it is done at every level of football. The same thing stopping offensive and defensive players with the same number from being on the field at the same time in the game is the same thing stopping offensive and defensive players with the same number from being on the field in real life.

We're not talking rocket science here guys. It's low on the food chain of importance, but it's also ridiculous that it's not in the game. Assign a 1-O, 1-D to every number, assign it to where the guy higher on the depth chart gets preference (or the offensive guy gets preference on offense, defensive guy gets preference on defense) in the event the numbers clash and you're done.

Some of y'all are thinking way too much into this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
That doesn't solve the problem because there are DB's who have played both ways in college.

If your stud RB wears #24 and your two-way CB also wears #24 your saying the game should stop them from being on offense together?

That type of logic would have stopped Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson from ever lining up on offense if someone had the same exact number as they did during that time.
The two players would not be on the field at the same time. And if the coach really insisted on them both being on the field at the same time, one of the two players would need to change his number. This is not uncommon. Is this your argument against this getting in the game?

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to the punch
Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Mason
Just as a fun exercise...how long do YOU think it would take?
How long would it take Shaun since you seem to know? Why do you think this would take "weeks" of programming. I have zero experience in programming EA NCAA Football and hell I've never even been to their studio in Orlando, but I find it hard to believe it would cost them precious weeks of development time.

I dont get it. You make it sound like we are asking them to implement functioning nervous systems in the player models. Seriously.

Last edited by kingkilla56; 05-30-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:28 AM   #68
Pro

OVR: 7

There are more glaring issues with the game, but those glaring issues are much more difficult to address. We're talking about something small and simple, yet still not available. The game is programmed not to allow the same player to start twice, why can't it be programmed not to allow a player with the same number play on offense and defense? It's silly, and the reasons I see for its absence are even sillier.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #69
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
How long would it take Shaun since you seem to know? Why do you think this would take "weeks" of programming. I have zero experience in programming EA NCAA Football and hell I've never even been to their studio in Orlando, but I find it hard to believe it would cost them precious weeks of development time.

I dont get it. You make it sound like we are asking them to implement functioning nervous systems in the player models. Seriously.
I think it would take a pretty decent chunk of time, just like I stated in my post above. I know that I sound elitist saying this, but I know from first hand experience that programming is hard, likely far harder than you think. But, these are world class developers, right? I understand you don't think "but it is hard" is a valid complaint. Even for easy solutions (I would think this is one of them) things still take time. Keep in mind that I, like you, have zero days actually coding NCAA Football.=)

At a minimum I would expect to do the following:
  • Modify the edit players screen to allow duplicates, limited to one collision.
  • Modify the in menu depth chart screen to prevent numbering collisions.
  • Modify the in menu depth formation sub screen to prevent numbering collisions.
  • Repeat #2 for the depth chart screen in game.
  • Repeat #3 for the formation sub screen in game.
  • Modify the logic behind formation subs (right stick menu) in the play calling screen.
  • Modify the logic that dictates substitutions (so that players don't accidentally make it on the field with the same number, i.e. your wide out comes in a corner)
  • The next step is that people would obviously want this to happen naturally for the CPU, so come up with a way to generate duplicates on CPU teams that happens in a way seems natural.
  • Since you have duplicates on the CPU now, add another layer to the auto depth chart logic (this would be needed for the user anyway) that puts in best available players but prevents duplicates.
  • Optional - Implement on field detection and the appropriate penalty. Assuming you ALLOW it to happen at all, there are two designs you could go with 1) Disallow on field collisions at all 2) Allow but warn the user a penalty could result

Again, I don't program these games, but off the top of my head that would be the minimum investment to do the feature right, so that people didn't complain that "lazy" developers only did it half way.

Now that I've answered your question, friend, do you think that is logical? I'm interested to know if you think those are the necessary steps and how much time you think it would take. I hope I'm not coming off as a smarty pants, I really am trying to answer your question and understand what your perception is.

Last edited by shaunlmason; 06-03-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #70
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

The thing is, as a game designing-ignorant person like myself, I honestly can't say how long it would take with any conviction; as I literally have no idea how to even design a solid color on a background using the programs they do, so coding to me is Organic Chemistry to a 3 year old.

That said, I couldn't imagine it taking more than two weeks of man power, consisting of a maximum of 3 guys to get that done. Keep in mind Im a toddler trying to a draw 3D isopropylbenzene model....
Old 06-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #71
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
The thing is, as a game designing-ignorant person like myself, I honestly can't say how long it would take with any conviction; as I literally have no idea how to even design a solid color on a background using the programs they do, so coding to me is Organic Chemistry to a 3 year old.

That said, I couldn't imagine it taking more than two weeks of man power, consisting of a maximum of 3 guys to get that done. Keep in mind Im a toddler trying to a draw 3D isopropylbenzene model....
I wouldn't bother with 3 people, it is too hard to get consistent results with multiple people performing the same general task, that's why I say it would take a couple of weeks. 80 hours split 3 ways would be "faster" in terms of weeks but the same in terms of manpower.

Brook's Law relates to that and basically says, "9 women can't make a baby in a month".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #72
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
I can't believe there is 4 pages of this. There are NUMEROUS things the game needs more than duplicate numbers.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »