Home

Earth is beginning to tremble in Orlando...

This is a discussion on Earth is beginning to tremble in Orlando... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #33

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Earth is beginning to tremble in Orlando...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutx15
The survey that I posted clearly states otherwise about college football interest declining. It actually increased even with the 14% drop in the NC game between Bama and LSU that you pointed out. That was an obvious rating even before the game was played. People did not want to see a rematch, that by the way produced the highest ratings of a CBS showing since 1989 with the 1st game they played. Now with the playoff system set to be in place most likely. It will only add intrigue because you don't only get one match-up between the supposed best teams in the nation. You get three match-ups... It's similar to March Madness and why it is so popular. Not only will it produce more betting for non-casual fans, but it is also a one & done, then your out.

Could you imagine a 4-team playoff with teams such as Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, or any combo of 4 of the most popular Universities out there. The ratings would go through the roof.. If you can honestly say that people don't care what other teams do, then you are not a college football fan, and it decreases the opinion you may have. I obviously don't care much about Oregon, or Auburn, but being a fan, I still watched the game. Along with millions of others, as it got very good ratings. They weren't all Oregon and Auburn fans...

Also, how can you explain the popularity still increasing even though over the past 3 years or so, the NCAA has been in total controversy with Sanctions, fines, firings, lawsuits, etc? Not even that could decline the popularity of the game.

Another reason why T.V. ratings don't mean much, regular season wise anyhow. I know several people who are big time Buckeye fans, that can't even watch the game on T.V., because they don't have the Big 10 network. With all the new conference networks, and team networks (like Texas), not everyone can get those. So they instead go to the local sports bar and watch the game. Which is why sports bars are booming. Many people prefer to go watch a game at a sports bar, than watch it on their own t.v.
I would consider a 3 point increase pretty much breaking even, especially over the course of what... 27 years?

The only ones that moved on that chart, in my opinion, are the NFL with a huge push of popularity and the MLB whos biggest dive came shortly after the strike.

All these reasons you are stating for the NCAA are the same for every sport. I live in California right now. How many Packer games do you think we get broadcast out here during the day? There's actually a surprisingly large Packers fan base in SoCal - they have the same problem.

My original argument isn't against college football. I have no problem with college football itself, it's just the fanbase is not as large as people think, and the market is not necessarily there for a video game considering the licensing fees and development that goes into the game. Why spend all that and make a little profit when you could dump the whole thing, save all that money, add a little extra to the development of Madden, and silghtly bump Madden sales?

It's obvious you are a big college football fan, which is by no means a bad thing, but it's pretty much a niche market. It's only 5% ahead of Nascar which, by the way, has grown at the same rate yet people call them a niche market.

The only flaw I see with that poll is asking "Favorite sport" making people list one. A better questionnaire would be to see "Which sports do you actively follow" meaning more than just a passing curiosity.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #34
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

The OP need to provide a source per the TOS
  • Rumors/Hearsay/Agendas/"If you don't know the answer, shut up"
If someone posts a question, and you don't know the answer, don't reply. Don't post some rumor you heard somewhere. If you don't know a fact, you don't post. Period. Any spreading of rumors/hearsay/agendas will be dealt with immediately.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...12-2010-a.html

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #35
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
Hopefully it goes away. As a whole I can't stand college football - though I do watch the local school games. The whole system is flawed, and if this money can go towards making EAs other games better I am all for the decision to ax NCAA. Only if the money goes into other games development.

Not much fun in watching a league with such a wide talent disparity, aside from trying to dissect their game film to see if their skills translate to the big leagues.

It will be an interesting saga to watch here, that's for sure.

inb4thelock?
Excellent. Now go over to the Madden forum or Pro Football forum and have at it.

NCAA sales did not decline last year either. They were record breaking and college football is as popular as ever. One could also say that college football and its popularity is going to increase further with whatever playoff system they come up with.

NCAA football is not going away any time soon unless the likeness lawsuits have an effect at some point.

Last edited by J-Unit40; 06-21-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #36

ubernoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Excellent. Now go over to the Madden forum and have at it.

NCAA sales did not decline last year either. They were record breaking and college football is as popular as ever.

NCAA football is not going away any time soon unless the likeness lawsuits have an effect at some point.
Erm... They did decline last year. Partially because the PS2 game was taken out. Just saying, don't quote facts on total sales without looking them up.

NCAA Football 10 sold 2.48 million copies between 4 systems. PS3/XB360 sales = 1.71 million
NCAA Football 11 sold 2.06 million copies between 3 systems. PS3/XB360 sales = 1.68 million copies.
NCAA Football 12 sold 1.68 million copies between 2 systems. PS3 sales dropped by .03 mil, 360 sales rose by .03 mil compared to 11 with xbox 360 being the most popular every year.

NCAA 12 sold faster than previous versions, but the overall numbers are still down.

Last edited by ubernoob; 06-21-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #37
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

Quote:
Fight Night Round 3/4 handily outsold NCAA. FNChampion isn't super far behind it in sales. For the other games (SSX, EA MMA, etc.) they don't have to pay a large licensing fee like they do with NCAA. Hell, NBA Live 10 sold 1.13 million copies. Not super far behind NCAA there. With their new dedication to NBA Elite, I can easily see NCAA being the first franchise to go if they feel like cutting one. They're just providing direct competition to their own Madden sales with it anyways.

The ratings are not moot. College football viewership has been dropping steadily per year. If you think a playoff will change that, I highly - HIGHLY - doubt it will. I don't care if there's a playoff this year, I stopped watching the college football championships after USC/Texas.

If there's more than a 5-10% rise in Championship viewing this year (Which would put it at 2010's level) I would be highly surprised. A 4-team playoff doesn't mean crap for viewers, it just means that less teams will whine.
You are off base. If you think college football viewership is declining, why are MULTIPLE conferences and even individual TEAMS/SCHOOLS looking to form their own network? Have you looked at the amount of $$$ flying around for TV contracts?

Sure, the ratings were down for this year's title game. It was two teams from the same division of the same conference. Sorry, but your argument is standing on straw for legs man.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #38
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

This is ridiculous cherry-picking. Of course the average rating of all the bowl games are going to be lower than the rating of one big-time NCAA tourney game.

Why not look at the ratings of the single biggest regular season and bowl games? LSU-Alabama was an 11.9 rating. Auburn-Oregon title game was a 15.3 The ratings of big time college football games are right up there with the NBA finals and the NCAA tournament. I don't know why you're trying to pretend otherwise.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011...cable-in-2011/
Old 06-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #39

ubernoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
You are off base. If you think college football viewership is declining, why are MULTIPLE conferences and even individual TEAMS/SCHOOLS looking to form their own network? Have you looked at the amount of $$$ flying around for TV contracts?

Sure, the ratings were down for this year's title game. It was two teams from the same division of the same conference. Sorry, but your argument is standing on straw for legs man.
I'm off base because a 37% total drop in viewership since 1998 (which is highest in BCS era) is me taking things the wrong way?

It's the same thing. If it was on the NFLs level, they wouldn't need private networks. The schools are looking for the best thing for them. No blame on them, I would too. I'm not saying there's not a (admittedly rabid) fanbase for college football.

I'm saying it's not as prevalent as you think it is. Do I think I know why that is? I may, but I am not going to make any assumptions. I've moved all over the country from the military, and yes college football is #1 in some spots. It's not even close to being #3 in others. It's just the way it is.

Anax, nowhere did I say anything about the average rating aside from it was quoted in my article. I'm saying the title game dropped. Of course it's going to be up there in ratings with the other finals. Finals draws in a crowd that normally doesn't watch.

I was simply showing that the percieved gap in popularity between NCAA Football and Basketball isn't as big as made out to be.

People could easily do the same, as I am assuming that NCAA Basketball games shown on TV probably draw really crappy ratings. Why? Because there's one on seemingly every night during the regular season.

I don't think you people understand that I am not arguing against college football. I am arguing against the viability of NCAA Football as a perennial-front runner as a money maker.

Last edited by ubernoob; 06-21-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #40
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

Quote:
I'm off base because a 37% total drop in viewership since 1998 (which is highest in BCS era) is me taking things the wrong way?

It's the same thing. If it was on the NFLs level, they wouldn't need private networks. The schools are looking for the best thing for them. No blame on them, I would too. I'm not saying there's not a (admittedly rabid) fanbase for college football.

I'm saying it's not as prevalent as you think it is. Do I think I know why that is? I may, but I am not going to make any assumptions. I've moved all over the country from the military, and yes college football is #1 in some spots. It's not even close to being #3 in others. It's just the way it is.
We can just agree to disagree man. Nothing personal, but college football popularity is at an all-time high. Looking at the ratings for a single game for the year isn't enough honestly.

College football is close to becoming the #2 sport in the US behind the NFL. Which, oddly enough, is the same sport just on an "amateur" level.

As for NCAA Football as a video game series, time will tell. It may stay, it may go away years from now, but I doubt it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »