Home

For all the long time NCAA'ers

This is a discussion on For all the long time NCAA'ers within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
For all the long time NCAA'ers

First off this isn't a NCAA 13 bashing thread. I love the game and can't wait for the 10th. With that said, I can't help but feel I'm the only one who has experienced what I'm about to say. Every year NCAA adds features and works on graphics and gameplay but yet if you stick in an NCAA from a while back, such as 06 or 07 it seems like the best college football game ever. Highlights on the main screen, menu music (pretty sure I can still sing every word to every song on 06), pressing buttons to get certain types of celebrations after plays, in week suspensions, spring games, hotter girlfirends in RTG when you got better!!! Haha or how about getting your team or favorite player on the cover of Sports Illustrated for that week in dynasty. I guess I just never realized it, but every year they add certain things almost so you don't realize what all they have taken out. And you don't realize it until you go back and play and oldie...anyone else get where I'm coming from? Or am I the only one who likes all the little stuff on the old ones and would take that stuff over the infamous "mascot matchup" or the grand "one-button mode."

And no matter what just rememember: I wana grow up, up to be, be a debaser
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Rookie

dubvcrazy's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: For all the long time NCAA'ers

NCAA 06 was my all time favorite and I would still be playing it if I could get my PS2 back from my little cousins haha. I guarentee you I could sing every song on there as well. Last gen NCAA games were the best and I don't think they'll ever be the same.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Rookie

Lawdawg25's Arena

OVR: 3

I really miss the Sports Illustrated covers. Absolutely loved seeing my player on the cover after he had an outstanding week or after having a huge win. The thing they have now just isn't as exciting because it always shows your team and it's not as prestigious as being on the cover of SI.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

There were certainly some little things that were great in the old NCAA games, but there are two main reasons I loved the gameplay.

1) The passing system was almost perfect. Not only were the ball speeds and passing trajectories as close to "real" as I've seen in a game (All-Pro Football probably being a close second), but you had so much control over where you put the ball. You could throw an elevated bullet to the backside shoulder if you wanted. Or, you could throw it at your receivers feet if you wanted him to go down for it. And none of this, "turn a curl route into an out route" stuff they're giving us this year. It was a very strong representation of what quarterbacks do in real life. Not to mention, quarterbacks could actually misfire. There was a big difference between your All-Conference, Senior QB and your RS Freshman backup. You really had to change your playcalling when you got a nervous, inexperienced QB under center.

2) Player movement had a real sense of weight and momentum. While the overall player/game speed was too fast (I got bored one day and clocked my running back at a 3.9 sec 40-time!), you could really feel the acceleration, weight, and agility differences between players. If you had an agile back, you could use a defender's momentum against him without even having to trigger a juke animation. You could leave a defender grasping at air just by making a hard cut against the grain (makes me really wish we had this now with the popularity of spread offenses, zone reads, and zone blocking schemes).

There were definitely problems with the old games, but amazingly enough, they had a lot of the basics down better than the new games. I'll give the new games the edge in blocking (the interactions still aren't very good but the blocking AI has improved quite a bit) and tackling (once you triggered a "stumble" animation in the old NCAA's, you could barrel through 8 defenders without them being able to stop you). But still, it really is pretty amazing how solid those games were though considering they were made 6-10 years ago on systems that weren't as powerful.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Rookie

LastExit's Arena

OVR: 0

Well said, Pokes.

What I miss from the older games was how loud the crowd got on defense and the function of waiving a defender's arms in the air to amp up the crowd actually working (no evidence of that in the demo). What's more, if you were behind by a large margin no matter how you tried to goad the crowd into getting loud it wouldn't work.....a realistic touch that was nice. When you were playing on the road and the crowd was loud you'd call an audible but the receiver would run the wrong route or you'd get an occasional false start.

It's not make or break, but it's important to me given that the crowd is such a big aspect of college football just as it is in basketball or FIFA. FIFA has the crowd immersion down and you can turn the volume of the announcers off and still have a great time playing it just by how the crowd reacts to the flow of the game. They could be doing so much better with NCAA but up to this point it's an aspect that has been left behind in prior iterations of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastExit
Well said, Pokes.

What I miss from the older games was how loud the crowd got on defense and the function of waiving a defender's arms in the air to amp up the crowd actually working (no evidence of that in the demo). What's more, if you were behind by a large margin no matter how you tried to goad the crowd into getting loud it wouldn't work.....a realistic touch that was nice. When you were playing on the road and the crowd was loud you'd call an audible but the receiver would run the wrong route or you'd get an occasional false start.

It's not make or break, but it's important to me given that the crowd is such a big aspect of college football just as it is in basketball or FIFA. FIFA has the crowd immersion down and you can turn the volume of the announcers off and still have a great time playing it just by how the crowd reacts to the flow of the game. They could be doing so much better with NCAA but up to this point it's an aspect that has been left behind in prior iterations of the game.
The crowd was definitely awesome starting in around NCAA 05. I remember coming over to a friend's house while he was playing a game. The TV was turned away from me, but from the rocking crowd noise I said, "Jeeze, you playing in Death Valley or something?" It didn't turn out to be Clemson or LSU, but he was playing in The Swamp at Florida. Point is, I could tell just from the audio he was playing in a big-time environment. If I tried the same thing with the current NCAA games, he could have been playing at Toledo and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

*No disrespect to Toledo fans intended
Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 19

The option was better previous gen.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35
I miss the stadium pulse feature and the celebrations.

The crowd really seemed to be alive.

Sent from my Desire HD

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »