Home

Your experience with Coaching carousel

This is a discussion on Your experience with Coaching carousel within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Your experience with Coaching carousel

Im happy with how it works, and im glad they tweaked it. I do wish they would've added the ability to hire/fire coordinators, and have a "free agent" pool of coaches to make it be more realistic then coaches popping up, but I am still happy. Hopefully next year they'll add some more "realistic" features.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Rookie

bdawgdude's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridastatefan02
Im happy with how it works, and im glad they tweaked it. I do wish they would've added the ability to hire/fire coordinators, and have a "free agent" pool of coaches to make it be more realistic then coaches popping up, but I am still happy. Hopefully next year they'll add some more "realistic" features.
This. I really like the feature, but I wish that we could hire/fire our own oc/dc and that "big name" coaches wouldn't get random OC jobs so often.

I liked how in CHoops you chose your OC/DC and as they moved on and became HC, they took your system with them to their new school.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant1874
This isnt a bashing CC thread I just would like to get some experiences with CC last year.

For the most part I enjoyed it but was annoyed a little by the logic sometimes.

This year I really want to start at a 1* team as an OC and work my way to the top. Do you think its better going this way to work your way up rather than starting as a HC with a 1* team and building them up?
Last year I found it hard getting a good or mid size HC job after having decent success as HC with teams such as Memphis and Wyoming.

Ideally what id like to do is start at Umass as OC then take the 1st HC job im offered. Stay at that job building whoever up to a good position then taking a bigger HC job and so on.

Im just afraid the logic doesnt really work like that. Whats your strategy for working your way up the ladder?
I'll chime in here to give you my perspective on how CC worked last year - I have no idea yet on how it will work {be improved on} this year.

I took over as the OC at Idaho and built them up, eventually moving them to the PAC-16 - a super conference I made adding a few teams, including Idaho rival Boise State.

After building them up and - obviously doing all of the recruiting - when my contract ran out, they offered me a two-year extension. The HC got a four-year deal and the DC split to be HC at FAU.

To see where Idaho had made it to and especially considering where they came from, and to be offered a 2-year deal was like a huge slap in the face. Not only were we winning a lot of games... 10-3 being our worst season, 13-1 our best, we were landing much better talent, setting passing/receiving records - both school and NCAA records, were 4-0 in Bowl Games and 3-1 against Boise State. {Rival}

Yet a 2-year extension was all I was offered. This coincided w/ all the massive problems w/ the game and the patches and I just quit playing the game. So... w/ 13 I am going to take over as HC at North Texas - sort of like after Idaho insulted me North Texas stepped in and offered me their HC position.

I'll let you know if '13 is any better than '12 was in CC...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
1 thing I didn't like in my offline (I didn't really notice it in my OD) was how prevalent the flexbone became. At 1 point there was a NC game between 2 flexbone teams, GT and UGA (which was actually pretty cool). The flexbone (in my dynasty) took over UGA, Texas, Alabama, and 1 other big SEC team.
I've seen the same thing. Which I find kinda funny as people on this board always complain that the computer can't run the flexbone/option game, but yet in all my dynasties that go for a long time the flexbone teams are the the ones who consistently sit in the top 10. Maybe the computer can only run it against a computer opponent? I'll admit however, on average against a user they don't do so well.

It's still a bit peculiar though. GT has won the NC 5 times in my latest dynasty(2031 currently) and I don't think I've ever seen Paul Johnson fired in ANY of my dynasties - He always just retires with a handful of NCs.

Back on topic though - I really only want three changes to the CC.

1) I'd like to be able to negotiate my contract years and goals. Sometimes I don't want to sign a 4 year contract, I want to stop over at a school and see where my prospects lie in 2 years, you know? Also, I personally hate the "fill all team needs" goal as a HC and the yardage restrictions when you're a DC or OC. If I could substitute those goals for other goals I had to fulfill I'd be much happier. (I know saving and reloading will change the contract, but I'd rather not do that.)

2) At season end I would to be able to see all job openings and be able to apply, to 5 schools or so, for the positions I want. If none of the schools you applied to offer you a job, then you'd go through the CC like its currently implemented.

3) I would like to be able to break my current contract and apply for an open position at another school. Say you're stuck in a 4 year deal, but the HC at your dream school just got fired. Wouldn't it be nice to break your contract and apply for that position ala what Lane Kiffin did when the USC job came up? Of course this could back fire. You could quit, apply for your dream job, not get it and be stuck coaching a 1 star school for a year or maybe not coaching for a season at all(another idea!).

If I could see those or something similar in dynasty I would be smitten. EA's image in my eyes would change dramatically.

Last edited by tested29; 06-30-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #13
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tested29
3) I would like to be able to break my current contract and apply for an open position at another school. Say you're stuck in a 4 year deal, but the HC at your dream school just got fired. Wouldn't it be nice to break your contract and apply for that position ala what Lane Kiffin did when the USC job came up? Of course this could back fire. You could quit, apply for your dream job, not get it and be stuck coaching a 1 star school for a year or maybe not coaching for a season at all(another idea!).
I like that idea but on one condition... if you pull a Lane Kiffin, they have to show the school you're bailing on having a riot and burning stuff to the ground!!!

All jokes aside... I felt so bad for Tennessee fans when that happened... but it would be interesting to have in the game!

Of course I feel they should allow fans to rush the field if you're at home and beat a # 1 ranked team, especially if that team is one of your rivals. But noooooooooooo... that would make the NCAA look bad! SMH

Old 07-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

I had a pretty good experience with my offline dynasty and the CC, starting with an OC job on a 1*. there were only 2 things that kinda bothered me, but neither were deal breakers:

1 - As i was OC and did a solid job building up the program, both my and the HC were meeting all coaching goals and progressing. I had hoped that he'd be offered another job elsewhere and i'd get the HC promotion and stay at my school. I stuck it out several seasons till that 1* was up to 5* before I gave in and xferred. Although this isn't out of the realm of possibility - in most cases if the HC managed to completely turn around a 1* and build them up to a contender status he'd have tons of HC offers for a ton of $ that he'd not be able to pass up. 4 yrs after I left - he retired from that school. Really I am putting this out there as I hope it was an isolated deal with that HC - but if its a trend it would annoy me.

2 - There is no way to put it out there that you WANT to xfer to a certain school. There were several times I wanted to drop to a lower tier school (as an A/A+ HC) who was hiring and I wasn't offered the job (to my alma matter even!). This was really frustrating as it threw a major monkey wrench into my plans. Realistically, if a 2* was hiring a HC, and an A+ HC wanted the gig - they'd likely get the offer.

3 - Not CC related per se - but progression was through the roof and really messed with the CC system as there were just to many A coaches out there. Really they need to cap the progression / regression on a bell curve to make it realistic deep into dynasties. Not everyone can be saban.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #15
MVP

merchant1874's Arena

OVR: 6

From what I can remember you can break your contract. I cant remember how exactly but im pretty sure you can.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant1874
From what I can remember you can break your contract. I cant remember how exactly but im pretty sure you can.
Yeah, been a while since I played that dynasty, but pretty sure I left Florida as the OC before my contract was up to HC at SMU. Did 4 years at Florida, ran with Mullens' playbook (Miss St. playbook) as I dislike Charlie Weis...Dunbar became Epic in Gator history. Just short of the Heisman. My stay at SMU was not as good...I got smacked around and ended up having a hard time getting the recruits I wanted...(all about Gators type speed.) My time as Florida's OC was far more enjoyable than my time as HC at SMU. I regretted making the move.

Waiting for 13 I may start another one up...probably go here and there with it til rosters/patches drop on 13. Then go full bore with 13. May start as the OC at Florida again (the lone game I can play as MY team without getting bored lol)

FIFA12 PS3
St Pats 44 pts; 2nd place

NCAA14 PS3
Career W-L: 50-39
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »