Home

Recruiting for Spread Option Offense

This is a discussion on Recruiting for Spread Option Offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Rookie

micksharp's Arena

OVR: 2
Recruiting for Spread Option Offense

I wanted to get some input from the community on how you guys would recruit for the spread option offense. In my main OD I'm Kansas State and I've always just ran your basic pro style offense but this year I really wanna go all or nothing in perfecting the shotgun read option offense. Now K state already has the personnel to run it but I wanted to do a good job of bringing in the right kind of players to keep it going for years to come. Gimme your opinion of the top three attributes to look for at each position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Recruiting for Spread Option Offense

Well, not every position is vital for the offense, but each position that isn't vital can add another layer to your gameplan. I'll start with the important positions.

QB: acceleration, speed, and throw accuracy.
Obviously you're looking for a QB that can run the ball, so acceleration and speed are going to be top, but if you have an accurate QB that pick apart the defense underneath the safties when the linebackers start committing to the run you're golden.

O-Line: run block technique, run block strength, and acceleration
Being a run first offense you'll want lineman suited to the run, they'll develop pass blocking skills as they get older so those aren't vital to have immediately. Acceleration is so that they can get their blocks quickly, which is important to the offense.

Those are the vital ones, the main idea for the other skill positions is to get the most atheletic players you can find so you create mismatches with the defense, that idea is pretty the basis of Urban Meyer's spread option offense.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
Rookie

pirateraider's Arena

OVR: 4

Speed would be crucial, something i've sort of noticed with these spread option offenses is that you can plug in athletes over players, since reads and routes are pretty simple, to make the offense efficient.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Rookie

OregonianTexan's Arena

OVR: 1

You'll want speed at most positions, especially at running back and quarterback. Getting a HB to burst quickly out of a shotgun formation run is crucial. Also make sure he has good agility and juke moves, because making a last second cut can make a sure short yardage run into a 60 yard breakaway.

As for QB, he's got to be a scrambler. As previously mentioned, if possible, he should have good accuracy.

Having had Oregon dynasties for eight years combined in NCAA12, I've had time to get extremely accustomed to what works with the spread. It's nice every few years to get a RB recruit who happens to run a 4.30 40 and can juke and move all over the field. A real gem of a pick up can make a spread offense shine.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

One question you'll need to answer is how much option you want to run. A spread offense like Oregon is much less dependent on the option than one like Urban Meyer's Florida offense. If you want to have an Oregon offense, more spread rushing with option on the side, you can get away with less speed at QB. If you want to run option more often than not, that's where you need to focus on.

I tend to run it more like Oregon. My base plays are HB Sweep (Buck Sweep when available) and HB Counter. After I set that up some, I run read option off of it and it is deadly even with a QB as slow as 78 speed. My best year with it had an 82 speed QB who regularly ran for 100 yards a game because the option was the big play changeup. I had and recruited big time speed backs who could just fly and possession WR's

If you want a ton of read option, speed option, triple option, motion option, you are going to need to dedicate yourself to finding some big time speed and acceleration at QB. It won't consistently work without it.

Speed is the key all around, but I tend to relegate the most speed to my HB position and then stack my WR position with size. I had one year where I recruited two 6'6" 250+ monster pass catching TE's. I lined the better blocking of the two at TE and split the other one out wide just to get that size and blocking on the edge.

Another question is what playbook you want to run? Custom? One of the default?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10

Tall, quick wideouts are nice to have. May be hard to find in the midwest, but try to make a state like FL a pipeline. They seem to be abundant there. In other positions look for speed and acceleration, even on the line, look for acceleration if you plan on pulling them often for outside runs and options. I would try to load up on athleticism then figure it out from there, esp with the new trple threat recruits. target them.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

I want to echo what everyone else is saying; speed is key, especially at the quarterback position. If you are unable to land a top caliber QB, I think it's ok to look at some 3 star type guys that have speed. Just look at 40. If you're going to dedicate to the run, the pass game isn't as much of a concern and I'd get the fastest guy I can (I know some people will disagree, but it's just what I'd do).

In addition, something that people haven't mentioned is recruiting your inside receivers. Some of the option playbooks rely on a lot of fly motion out of the backfield from your inside receivers. Again, what you are looking for there is speed. It might not be a bad thing to recruit some speedy RB's that can catch that you could put as your 3 and 4 WR. In a true spread option offense, those inside WR's are essentially just RB's. So there are some options for you as far as that are concerned. I always like to have tall outside receivers in this offense as well so that you have a physical blocking and catching presence.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Rookie

dubvcrazy's Arena

OVR: 6

QB: Need at least 80 speed and acceleration here. Look for scramblers and nothing else. Think Pat White, Denard Robinson here

HB: Speed, speed, and more speed. Think Noel Devine, Lamichael James here. Also, I like my HB's to be under 6-0.

FB/TE: Anything will do

WR: Need tall possession recievers on the outside and need shorter, speedy guys in the slot.

OL: Run blocking guys

Hope this helps! I've ran the spread since I can remember and I play backup QB in a spread offense at my high school

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »