Home

Defending Four Verticals (Quarters Coverage)

This is a discussion on Defending Four Verticals (Quarters Coverage) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #25
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Defending Four Verticals (Quarters Coverage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Tight man to disrupt the timing should also work, provided you have good enough corners. Of course, any adjustment you make opens you up to something else, but that's football.
the route is designed to beat man coverage. it is a reverse dig or "dig out" if that helps you visualize it better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
irl cover 2 could work but they combo that route up with someone underneath which takes the corner away and safety can only cover anything over the top.
I think the route would be too far behind the corner for cover 2 to work since the person said it was a 12-15 yard out. Normally a corner in a cover 2 wouldn't be that far back seeing as they have flat responsibility and like you said they would be looking for the underneath. Now Cover 2 sink would work as the corner isn't looking to stop the flats but the deep out and curl routes.

I don't think that the person stated the route was a dig switch, so man press should work and the defender would be in position to jump the route. Regular man might not work because the corner would turn his hips, and strong armed qb could get him the ball easily if timed correctly. Off man should have the corner in position to jump the route for a potential pick 6.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #27
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpartans11
I think the route would be too far behind the corner for cover 2 to work since the person said it was a 12-15 yard out. Normally a corner in a cover 2 wouldn't be that far back seeing as they have flat responsibility and like you said they would be looking for the underneath. Now Cover 2 sink would work as the corner isn't looking to stop the flats but the deep out and curl routes.

I don't think that the person stated the route was a dig switch, so man press should work and the defender would be in position to jump the route. Regular man might not work because the corner would turn his hips, and strong armed qb could get him the ball easily if timed correctly. Off man should have the corner in position to jump the route for a potential pick 6.
in cover 2 the corner is supposed to cover that deep if there is nothing under neath. like i said the idea of running that route with nothing underneath is extremely uncommon and would most likely be a broken play.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #28
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Yeah, the ideal way to combat the spread and 4 Verts is with Man Free with a Robbert and Man Under. If you have the athletes to win isolated one-on-one matchups (and press, to boot), you're going to win those battles most of the time.

There's a reason, though, that you'll only see college teams int he SEC play the spreads like that - because they've got the bigs up front to stop the run and option games and they've got the DBs who can match up in man.

To note, that's been Nebraska's preferred way of dealing with the spread. That's a huge reason why they pummeled so hard on Mizzou with Gabbert there. For some reason, Pinkel went from a one-back spread to an empty spread with Gabbert (overrating his running skills I'm assuming). Nebraska just went 4-2 Nickel and ran Man Free or Man Under on every freaking play and destroy Mizzou's WRs at the LOS.
Exactly, that's why I started running it in NCAA. My defensive scheme against any spread team is basically 3 plays.

- I rotate a safety into the box and run man free, with the single high safety usually shaded to the field. Then that rotated safety has run fill on early downs and plays a robber to the strong side of the offenses formation.

- Two high man under, manually controlling whichever LB is assigned to the HB. If it's a run, I'm flying up field. If it's a pass and the back has a route, I go after him. If it is a pass and the back stays home, I drop the LB into a matchup zone. I run with the first receiver to cross my face before returning to roughly the middle of the field. If I read verticals, I'm sprinting with the inside seam.

- Cover 2 Zone (the one with all hook zones across instead of the corners in flat zone). I press off the line and drop, use the safety adjustment to widen their deep zones and basically turn it into a Tampa 2 with my free roaming MLB.

I rarely blitz and I get away with those 3 coverages almost exclusively, even against users. It is basic but I can manually take away the middle third of the field with the robber coverage and provide enough run support that I don't get steamrolled.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
in cover 2 the corner is supposed to cover that deep if there is nothing under neath. like i said the idea of running that route with nothing underneath is extremely uncommon and would most likely be a broken play.
Correct, but like you said, it is rare there will not be something underneath, so the corner would be waiting for say, a runningback to slip out. I guess if he saw everybody roll to the other side of the field he would drop back, but it seems the timing of the route would be too quick for him to react. Plus I'm not sure he could stay with the route while his eyes are on the qb/ backfield.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #30
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpartans11
Correct, but like you said, it is rare there will not be something underneath, so the corner would be waiting for say, a runningback to slip out. I guess if he saw everybody roll to the other side of the field he would drop back, but it seems the timing of the route would be too quick for him to react. Plus I'm not sure he could stay with the route while his eyes are on the qb/ backfield.
well alot of it also depends on who is running the route as well. you have to feel the route and watch the qb. if say a TE is running that route, i can see your point. however that is still not a fast route by any means and is more of a timing thing to throw, so it wouldnt be unrealistic for the corner to cover it but only assuming there is nothing else for him to cover.

we are getting a bit offtopic though. its good to be able to talk football, especially on this forum.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 0

four vert is awesome
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #32
Rookie

Mike Leach's Four Verticals

Photo Courtesy (as always) via smartfootball.com

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »