Home

The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements

This is a discussion on The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87

Year 2
There were a ton of head coaching changes and almost none made any sense. (all the following changes are of programs hiring new head coaches)

What was FSU's record? And how was KSU's offense?Florida St fired Jimbo Fisher. They hired the Kansas St. OC (6-7).
Not a bad move. Ohio hired the FIU head coach (9-4)
Logical.Arizona hired VT DC (10-3) - this one actually made sense
ASU hiring a guy from OK St is not illogical. Firing the guy is odd, however. Arkansas St fired Malzahn after going 8-5 and hired Mike Gundy who was fired after going 7-6 at Ok St
Duke is a BCS program. Duke hired Nebraska's head coach whose contract had expired (WTF???)
How was KSU's defense? Not that oddNebraska hired Kansas St.'s DC (6-7)
Not a bad move.Ok St hired UCLA's DC (8-5)
Not a bad move. He did go 8-5. Rutgers hired Gus Malzahn (Ark St's fired coach)
Good move for BC. BC hired UNC OC (11-2) - not too crazy
Duke and Cal are both mediocre BCS Teams. Cal hired fired Duke HC
Logical. Iowa St. hired FSU's fired HC
Both of these are illogical moves. UK's head coach had his contract expire after going 8-5 and he went to be an OC somwhere (WTF??) so they hired the DC from BGSU (7-6)
OSU just went 2-10. Their options are limited. Oregon State hired Temple's DC (6-7)
SJSU has very few options. Not overly logical, I'll admit. SJSU hired the fired FAU HC (2-10)
Good move for FIU. They got a BCS coach. FIU hired the fired Oregon State coach (2-10)
Logical.
UTSA hired TCU DC (makes sense)
Not a bad move for a small team like UMASS. UMass hired fired ASU OC (4-8)
Good move for the Lobos. NM hired fired Nebraska DC
That's fine. New coaches need to be addded. Kent St hired a made up coach
Same thing. FAU hired a made up coach
Good move for the Zips. Major downgrade for the Arizona HC. Akron hired the fired Arizona HC
However, I agree the carousel needs a major change. If they don't tweak it, my odds of buying 14 severely drop.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRudy
It seems obvious to me, but the easy fix would be to tie coach prestige more in with program prestige. That way, the OC from the higher prestige school would be more valued than those at smaller programs (expecially ones that don't perform well)

You could even tie coach prestige in more with prestige drops and gains. Joe Blow might be OC at a 1 star Buffalo program, but they achieve success, the team prestige rises to two stars... maybe he gets offers now from 2-3 star programs. Not Notre Dame HC, perhaps OC there if they had a really successful season.

HC's at programs that fail to have success, but are highly prestigious should drop a tier but not all the way to the bottom.

I also HATE the one year contract. The only people who sign them in real life are those that are out of coaching, are at a lower tier (FCS, which we'll never have) and comeback as a temporary fix. (i.e John L. Smith)
I like that idea.
If I'm a co-ordinator at some small program and go 2-10 why would Notre Dame say hey come be our head coach.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
Rookie

yanek27's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_magic
I like that idea.
If I'm a co-ordinator at some small program and go 2-10 why would Notre Dame say hey come be our head coach.
Well in a perfect world I see ur point but the reality is its about who you know and connections. Winning helps but we see that who u know wins out alot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Rookie

Colt45's Arena

OVR: 7

I don't really get the problems others have said they had. Last year I went from OC at Western Michigan to Head Coach at Texas. Took ~12 years and several stops inbetween. I got the head coaching job at Texas after taking Ball State to the National Championship. My job progression was something like:

1 year as Western Michigan OC
~4 years as San Diego State OC
1 year as Ol' Miss OC
1 year as Michigan OC
~5 years as Ball State HC
Texas Head Coach

At this point our OD got the death bug, but we were able to save it and keep going, but we all made up new OCs and started over. Progression was:

3 years as Washington State OC (who at this point was a 1-star in the WAC).
~6 years as SMU OC (by choice. I turned down a handful of ACC and Big East HC jobs I wasn't interested in)
2 years as Stanford head coach

So I wonder if you guys complaining about not getting elite head coaching jobs are giving it enough time.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10

Hmmm.... I was optimistic after doing my first offseason last night, The only major change was Leach going to UCLA, which is realistic enough for me, everything else looked about right. Mid level HCs being grabbed from lower level programs or fired slightly bigger school HCs and low level teams grabbing cooridinators from low or slightly higher level programs as HCs. Hopefully I don't start seeing the same things as you guys.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Rookie

Jeff George's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
NM hired the DC from Akron who finished 1-11
I can see this one. New Mexico is as bad as it gets. Both their coordinators have D- prestige, so really, anyone is a step up. Akron's DC is a C- (and in real life, it's Chuck Amato, who actually has a modest level of prestige).

I mean, real-world New Mexico just hired a head coach who got fired from his only head-coaching job 11 years ago. For once, I think the carousel logic isn't too far off from reality.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45
I don't really get the problems others have said they had. Last year I went from OC at Western Michigan to Head Coach at Texas. Took ~12 years and several stops inbetween. I got the head coaching job at Texas after taking Ball State to the National Championship. My job progression was something like:

1 year as Western Michigan OC
~4 years as San Diego State OC
1 year as Ol' Miss OC
1 year as Michigan OC
~5 years as Ball State HC
Texas Head Coach

At this point our OD got the death bug, but we were able to save it and keep going, but we all made up new OCs and started over. Progression was:

3 years as Washington State OC (who at this point was a 1-star in the WAC).
~6 years as SMU OC (by choice. I turned down a handful of ACC and Big East HC jobs I wasn't interested in)
2 years as Stanford head coach

So I wonder if you guys complaining about not getting elite head coaching jobs are giving it enough time.
It's not about me really. I mean I do have an issue with the fact that I was at a mid major and had a lot of success and was there for 8 years and couldn't get a sniff at a big prestigious program. That's not right. But the real problem is for me the CPU logic in hiring and firing and contracts. They don't make much sense. Good HC's from small schools and good coordinators from big schools aren't getting hired. It's the same problem where if you're not a coordinator, you're not getting a HC job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff George
I can see this one. New Mexico is as bad as it gets. Both their coordinators have D- prestige, so really, anyone is a step up. Akron's DC is a C- (and in real life, it's Chuck Amato, who actually has a modest level of prestige).

I mean, real-world New Mexico just hired a head coach who got fired from his only head-coaching job 11 years ago. For once, I think the carousel logic isn't too far off from reality.
But Davie was still a good coach and did have success; just not the kind ND wanted. No coach from a team that can't win a game should land a HC position. It should have at least came from a coordinator at a successful small school, but you don't see that. It's only from the unsuccessful teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #16
Rookie

JoedicyMichael's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRudy
I also HATE the one year contract. The only people who sign them in real life are those that are out of coaching, are at a lower tier (FCS, which we'll never have) and comeback as a temporary fix. (i.e John L. Smith)
Yeah, it is a waste sometimes. However, realistically, those one year contracts are a strategic move for the University of course in hoping to sign a big name coach within a coming year or trying to catch that coach on his contract year. And also a measuring stick for the program. You got one year to do your thing. If you do well, you get a extension. If not, the AD will have a letter on your front desk.

As far as in game, I personally dont mind it at the start of Dynasty because you wanna get your feet in the water & maybe you dont wanna be stuck on a team for 3 years. Maybe after a year you feel like its time to make that move & see where your talents could be used elsewhere. I wish EA would add some incentive to the CC. Like Salaries for example.

Quote:
The reason the UK coach left was because his contract expired; not because he was fired. That is why that is messed up, because they were coming off of a winning record. If he won 8 games at UK, he'd get a 10 year contract extension.
LoL yeah i meant to put expired. Overcome with sleep from last night.. lol. But anywho UK def could have found a better coach.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »