Home

The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements

This is a discussion on The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #57
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant1874
Obviously the logic is terrible abd they need to put more emphasis on wins etc but presumably if you meet your goals you won't be fired?

I've yet to be fired and although I've had some losing seasons I hàve met 90% of my goals.
Actually, there have been plenty of instances on here where people still get fired even when they meet their goals. There needs to be a big deemphasis on goals and more of an emphasis on wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockboy
That's so frustrating...you swallow your gamer pride to try and play the game realistically and it bites you in the ***.

Sadly, to avoid that...I usually schedule a game every year against a FCS team, and I just relentlessly slaughter them...to the point where I'm kicking FG's at their one yard line to keep the score under 70.

It sucks, but it's the only way you can reach some of the more ridiculous goals at times.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuduo
It's ridiculously stupid this year. Been at Texas State for 6 years now. 2 BCS games, a Heisman, 3 WAC championships and I'm still stuck at a % for coach prestige. I've only failed at a couple of goals, now of which had negative impact on coaching security. My integrity is at full amount. Then I find out the UTSA coach gets hired at Ohio State after finishing 7-5. What the heck?

Ok seeing more Coordinators get the big jobs than I am Head Coaches. Thinking about starting over as a OC at my "Alma mater" and going from there...
Your first paragraph makes the point I have been so frustrated over. Coordinators are the ones who get jobs because HC's are not allowed out of their contracts until they run up. If you are going to start somewhere as an OC, stay there until the school you want to go to is open and make sure that school is your alma mater. Even then, nothing is guaranteed.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #58
Rookie

Danbo80's Arena

OVR: 2

The fact that they haven't improved CC, or even touched it in any way absolutely boggles my mind. Do they think its fine as is? Is this what they intended when they implemented this
feature? I find it hard to believe any one at EA could be proud of this CC.

Somewhere CH2k8 is rolling over in its grave.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's easily patchable too, I would assume. Just tuning the logic would help. Make it so Wins>Goals.

I won 4 games with San Jose State as an OC, but since I ran a run-and-shoot, I got a lot of yards, TD's, etc. I wasn't winning games, but I was getting the goals completed. I ended up getting some seriously solid HC coaching offers.

So more or less, it goes both ways.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #60
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo80
The fact that they haven't improved CC, or even touched it in any way absolutely boggles my mind. Do they think its fine as is? Is this what they intended when they implemented this
feature? I find it hard to believe any one at EA could be proud of this CC.

Somewhere CH2k8 is rolling over in its grave.
they somehow made it worse despite not adding to it
Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #61
OS Supporter

BOSKY!'s Arena

OVR: 7

I've ran a few tests and had similar results.

For starters, it's so hard to get a good job once you're a HC no matter what the school, even though weaker OC and DC get hired by prestigious colleges with worse ratings.

Also, way to many firings. After two years, half the FCS was fired about 50% of the time. I can live with the unrealistic coaching changes like Jim Mora being fired at UCLA and hired as the OC at USC. But the fact he got fired after 1 year with a winning record is unrealistic.

I really, really want to dive into this game because Recruiting has improved IMO and I just enjoy working my way up the ranks to a great job like we all did in 2011, before the changes. But it just seems like it's impossible right now to do that and I've simmed 10 different 5 year stretches as a OC, DC or HC and get terrible results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 2

For head coaches your success should be based on:
Overall record
Conference record
Record vs Rivals
Bowl record

The recruiting goals should be hidden goals like the beating a higher ranked team. Recruiting is normally what separates good coaches from great coaches.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #63
Rookie

Colt45's Arena

OVR: 7

You guys who have low coaching prestige: are you keeping your promises? Last year I noticed that my prestige was in the tank, no matter WHAT happened during the season. One loss seasons, undefeated in conference play 4 years in a row, and I was still floating between C-/D+. Then I realized I was promising recruits victories against rivals, and the stupid game wasn't counting any of my wins against my rivals. So I stopped promising that, and started promising conference titles instead, and my prestige immediately shot up and I was A+ in a few years.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87
If you are going to start somewhere as an OC, stay there until the school you want to go to is open and make sure that school is your alma mater. Even then, nothing is guaranteed.
This. This is what is what I think kills it most for me. In order to have success and get to where you want to, you have to stay somewhere till you see your opportune job open up at just the right moment. If you move around, maybe take a HC position at a small school, chances are you'll never get to your alma mater.

In 12 I played to 2039 trying to get to Michigan State, the alma mater I chose in-game, and eventually gave up. My contract never was up at the right time and even though I was considered for the open HC and DC positions while still under contract, I was never hired. Never mind I had 2 NC's as HC at ECU, which I built up in 8 years there, and had been to the NC 3 times with other schools as DC.

I mean, it was like this on 12, but its even worse now. I can deal with the too much emphasis placed on the yearly goals you must complete, but if you look at any of the big name coaches around the country they've moved around, they've paid their dues and learned and are now a big time coach. I mean, just look at Nick Saban's coaching journey. He certainly didn't sit in one spot till his dream job opened up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »