Home

Anyone Else Frustrated with Recruiting Questions?

This is a discussion on Anyone Else Frustrated with Recruiting Questions? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Rookie

AiDub's Arena

OVR: 7
Anyone Else Frustrated with Recruiting Questions?

Ok I'm in the third season with my Dynasty with Indiana. I picked them because they have some decent grades to start out with. Well I've noticed that a few of the questions that you can ask are pointless to ask and I'm wondering why they're even available.

For example, Academic prestige. Indiana has a B+ which I thought would be great however I would say 90% of the time when I ask this question, I get Low, Very Low, or Least. I'm somewhat okay with this one because I'm sure that's really not on alot of top tier athletes minds since their careers will most likely be spent at the next level of football. The one that is really bugging me right now is Playing Time. Again, when asking most of the recruits about playing time, I'm getting a lot of Lows, Very Lows, and Leasts. I find that far more unrealistic than Academics especially for high recruits.

Another issue I'm finding is when I ask the recruit to tell me what he thinks is important to him, they always go with a flippin C-, D+, D, or D- topic. I have rarely seen anything above that for some reason.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed these issues in their dynasty?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Anyone Else Frustrated with Recruiting Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDub
Ok I'm in the third season with my Dynasty with Indiana. I picked them because they have some decent grades to start out with. Well I've noticed that a few of the questions that you can ask are pointless to ask and I'm wondering why they're even available.

For example, Academic prestige. Indiana has a B+ which I thought would be great however I would say 90% of the time when I ask this question, I get Low, Very Low, or Least. I'm somewhat okay with this one because I'm sure that's really not on alot of top tier athletes minds since their careers will most likely be spent at the next level of football. The one that is really bugging me right now is Playing Time. Again, when asking most of the recruits about playing time, I'm getting a lot of Lows, Very Lows, and Leasts. I find that far more unrealistic than Academics especially for high recruits.

Another issue I'm finding is when I ask the recruit to tell me what he thinks is important to him, they always go with a flippin C-, D+, D, or D- topic. I have rarely seen anything above that for some reason.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed these issues in their dynasty?
I recruit with Indiana and year 1 I had a top 50 recruiting class. Year 2 and 3 believe it was top 25. I always choose swat pitch on anything that says low, least, average. I can usually get them to change to average. In regards to letting them choose the topic I always choose that pitch every time. It gives me a boost and sometimes they WILL choose something you are rated higher at. Do not get too down. How do you grade your recruiting style? How do you recruit? I get the guys I need first and then just fill in the gaps with 3*. My current year with Indiana I have already had 8 4* recruits and I am only in week 9 or 10 of my schedule.

Keep trucking away.

Take a look here also http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ing-101-a.html
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26

First, I've always found recruiting on this game dumb. I think it's silly that recruits sit around and tally points for which school they're going to. I'm actually sure some do, but to quantify everything is just silly.

Moving on...

I would assume everything is random. Sometimes it just works out that your strengths just don't match up with theirs. Sometimes they match up perfectly. I have better success than I should swaying what I'm good at when it's not a priority for them. I play with Oregon State so I tend to not have many strengths, but I've had no trouble getting lots of good 3 and 4 star recruits. I think because you can persuade them, that the default is for more to average or low than above average. Halfway through the year I've moved 3 or so pitches up. Even if they say one week you can't convince them, you seem to be able to do it later...sometimes. It takes some patience, but I've had some guys that don't match up at all, and eventually I can sign them anyway. You'll just have to wow them on their visit and maybe utilize the easier to keep promises.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarich
First, I've always found recruiting on this game dumb. I think it's silly that recruits sit around and tally points for which school they're going to. I'm actually sure some do, but to quantify everything is just silly.
Come on... How exactly would you suggest they do recruiting without using numbers?

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26

I think it would be a lot more fun if we didn't know the numbers. Coaches don't get faxed a piece of paper from the recruiting saying they earned 138 points because the coach talked about the school's tradition, which moved them to within 40 of another school. Coaches never KNOW exactly how they stand. Recruits tend to name schools they're interested in and narrow it down. Just like seems to be common in real life and on the game, each recruit should start with 10 schools, then narrow it down to 8, then 5, then 3. You recruit him, and if you make the cut, you make the cut. If you don't, you spend time on someone else. Players should also soft verbal to one of their last 3 schools, and the other 2 should occasionally get him to de-commit. I know it happens a little bit on the game, but it's more prevalent that kids commit verbally, and then change their mind. This could be more accurately reflected in the game if they didn't quantify something that's almost never quantified.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Rookie

AiDub's Arena

OVR: 7

I've had some pretty decent recruiting classes so far. I usually recruit players that I am in the top 5 in their list and then fill in the blanks with higher 3 and 4 star players that I think I can get as well. I usually ask 4 questions per recruit and, in desperate times when I need a little extra to get past a higher prestige team, I bust out the promises. I like my method and it seems to be working well.

I just find it weird that some of the answers to the questions are so unrealistic. What 4* athlete in the real world thinks starting in a game is not important to them? The interest level for that should never be below Average.

Going further with the whole asking what the recruit thinks is important, I've had several players, when asked, choose a topic that has their interest level average or lower. I thought the point of asking the recruit what he thinks is important was for him to pick something that he has a high interest level in. This does not seem to be the case. Again, it's weird that it's setup like that.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarich
I think it would be a lot more fun if we didn't know the numbers. Coaches don't get faxed a piece of paper from the recruiting saying they earned 138 points because the coach talked about the school's tradition, which moved them to within 40 of another school. Coaches never KNOW exactly how they stand. Recruits tend to name schools they're interested in and narrow it down. Just like seems to be common in real life and on the game, each recruit should start with 10 schools, then narrow it down to 8, then 5, then 3. You recruit him, and if you make the cut, you make the cut. If you don't, you spend time on someone else. Players should also soft verbal to one of their last 3 schools, and the other 2 should occasionally get him to de-commit. I know it happens a little bit on the game, but it's more prevalent that kids commit verbally, and then change their mind. This could be more accurately reflected in the game if they didn't quantify something that's almost never quantified.
So, they would still have to quantify it. You just don't want them to tell you that they've quantified it

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've begun playing an OD with Indiana recently, as well.

Quote:
In the first year, at least, the vast majority of the grades for IU are C- or less, so this doesn't surprise me. I think I typically only have three categories that rate higher than a C grade, if one of those is either proximity to home or playing time!

Here's an example of one of my recruiting screens:

Not much love there...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »