Home

NCAA Football And Safety Play

This is a discussion on NCAA Football And Safety Play within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: NCAA Football And Safety Play

The problem with safety play in this game isn't based on the kids playing it. I can beat Alabama all day long with almost any team on default Heisman because the AI will get beat over the top on almost every streak pattern.

On AA and Heisman, the AI uses the gameplanning gimmicks and it blows up the game. Not just ruioning the safety play, but making the DE's worthless, blown blocking assignments, etc.

Play a game on Heisman and then play a game on varsity and report back on what you see out of the safety play. The safety play is better on Varsity.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
The problem with safety play in this game isn't based on the kids playing it. I can beat Alabama all day long with almost any team on default Heisman because the AI will get beat over the top on almost every streak pattern.

On AA and Heisman, the AI uses the gameplanning gimmicks and it blows up the game. Not just ruioning the safety play, but making the DE's worthless, blown blocking assignments, etc.

Play a game on Heisman and then play a game on varsity and report back on what you see out of the safety play. The safety play is better on Varsity.
I DEFINITELY agree with this post. I can easily beat a good CPU team on Heisman, playing with a bad team, even if I put PCV on 100.

Last night, I played as La Tech vs LSU on Varsity. I moved all the sliders to 100 for CPU and all the way to 0 for user, and I lost.

The safety played the deep ball EXCELLENTLY. They never watched the WR streak past them.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

@Nortobc, That is very very interesting... and sounds like excellent information.

But this brings up another question.

IF The aggressive zone feature worked correctly... what should it look/feel like? Should the deep ball still be considered a threat? When and how should teams apply "Aggressive" zone coverage?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 4

The problem is trying to rationalize a video game. I've been where the OP is and you want to try and convince yourself the game is not broken by bringing in human elements but i'm sorry my man. This is just broken and below are several examples of why the game it not only broken in coverage but even cpu play call logic.

1) In my dynasty as Minnesota. I am 8-1 year 3. I've won 3 games as time expired throwing a 4-vert hail mary against tops teams (Mich,OSU,IA). In all 3 games I come out on the final play in a 5 wide. The cpu comes out in dime or nickel cover 2. Players run right by the safeties. As a user do I really not attempt to win the game? Because I know the cpu will come out and in a cover 2, not cover anyone beyond 10 yards and basically gift wrap the victory.

2) On 4 verts the cpu safeties always almost "attack" the route at the 10 yard line. If you want to talk real football. What is the safety's assignment in cover 2? To be the last line of defense (how the position got it's name) and keep everything in front. Rule number 1 is to be as deep as the deepest WR. I don't have a problem with 4 verts beating cover 2 it should 2 defenders 4 WR someone should be open. I have a problem with 4 verts beating cover 2 with every WR being open by 5-10 yards. When Safeties have equal or more speed rating to the WR.

3) It's not like it's only 4 verts that makes the safeties look dumb. If you audible one WR/TE to a streak on every pass and always look to that route first. You are guaranteeing to throw from 500+ yards and 5+ TDs.

Last edited by dghustla; 08-20-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
Rookie

Ive stated multiple times that the safties do things that should NEVER happen. I completely agree.

I was just trying to point out some things i have seen posted as "complaints" when in reality, they aren't. Thats all. I probably explained it wrong.

Yes, the aggressive zone issue is a problem. Yes, ive won games by running All Verts and the CPU does crazy things.

Im just trying to point out that not EVERYTHING the safeties do are issues.

I do agree though, there are a ton of things wrong.

But now it makes me wonder Dghustla. HOW would you want the aggressive zone defense to work? Should deep routes be covered equally on all defensive settings? How was in handled in past NCAA titles?

Im sincerely asking here for anyones opinion.

Thanks again for the responses.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezzo503
Ive stated multiple times that the safties do things that should NEVER happen. I completely agree.

I was just trying to point out some things i have seen posted as "complaints" when in reality, they aren't. Thats all. I probably explained it wrong.

Yes, the aggressive zone issue is a problem. Yes, ive won games by running All Verts and the CPU does crazy things.

Im just trying to point out that not EVERYTHING the safeties do are issues.

I do agree though, there are a ton of things wrong.

But now it makes me wonder Dghustla. HOW would you want the aggressive zone defense to work? Should deep routes be covered equally on all defensive settings? How was in handled in past NCAA titles?

Im sincerely asking here for anyones opinion.

Thanks again for the responses.

No worries, I didnt read all the post. and I'm definately not attacking you. I've been there because I love this game and you want to rationalize what you see. And there's always so much negativity on OS in stead of objectivity.

Here's my take on "coach settings"

Honestly I wouldn't care as much if it varied from game to game or if they got rid this "aggressive" play style all together.

At least if it varied from game to game you would have to adjust your play-style and sometimes the game winning bomb wouldn't be there. It would make you think as your calling plays against certain teams knowing they weren't going to allow you to go deep.

I wouldn't be opposed to them getting ride of the aggressive style and letting players play to their ratings. I think there are too many features in this game used to help crappy users. User picks aren't even real user picks anymore. Anyone can do big hits. etc. you get where i'm going with this.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Rookie

Very interesting.

So maybe they should have "Coach Settings" or something to that effect, but different coaches have built in play styles for different teams? That would definitely be interesting. Then i think about the 100 plus coaches, plus generated coaches...could be a mess. But at least it would allow teams to play differently.

Now that i think about it. I don't really see how they could incorporate an aggressive zone defensive style into the game. Especially since as user's we have vision of the whole playing field.

Maybe just Normal and Conservative. Have teams switch to conservative if they have the lead? During end of halves?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »