Home

which ncaa was it when ratings truly mattered?

This is a discussion on which ncaa was it when ratings truly mattered? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: which ncaa was it when ratings truly mattered?

low rated DL vs High rated OL
Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

Ratings do matter in NCAA '13, just not as much as they should. For instance, try and beat Alabama on Heisman with a bad team, and then play as Alabama against that same bad team and watch the results.

Peoples biggest complaint was that Offensive Line ratings don't matter, but I did extensive testing (I'd say around 300+ plays total) and ran similar plays and blitzes against Offensive Lineman.

The first was 99 overall on all pass blocking/run blocking.

The second was 75 on all pass blocking/run blocking.

The third was 50 on all pass blocking/run blocking.

The different in between all three (I can't remember the exact numbers) was about a second of extra time in the pocket between 100 different snaps or so for each group of lineman facing the same defensive line. It is still fairly difficult to see the difference between a 95 rated pass blocker and 80 pass blocker, but the difference is there.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say EA didn't screw the pooch with line ratings, because obviously there is a lot of stuff that needs to be changed, but don't feel like recruiting doesn't matter.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
Ratings do matter in NCAA '13, just not as much as they should. For instance, try and beat Alabama on Heisman with a bad team, and then play as Alabama against that same bad team and watch the results.

Peoples biggest complaint was that Offensive Line ratings don't matter, but I did extensive testing (I'd say around 300+ plays total) and ran similar plays and blitzes against Offensive Lineman.

The first was 99 overall on all pass blocking/run blocking.

The second was 75 on all pass blocking/run blocking.

The third was 50 on all pass blocking/run blocking.

The different in between all three (I can't remember the exact numbers) was about a second of extra time in the pocket between 100 different snaps or so for each group of lineman facing the same defensive line. It is still fairly difficult to see the difference between a 95 rated pass blocker and 80 pass blocker, but the difference is there.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say EA didn't screw the pooch with line ratings, because obviously there is a lot of stuff that needs to be changed, but don't feel like recruiting doesn't matter.
This is the kind of testing I really respect. Guys are always saying ratings don't matter but they really do. The problem is that EA's default ratings don't seperate great from avg players. GMS and Playmakers have said this for a long time. I edited Texas A&M's roster using the Ratings Guide posted by GMS last year. It's night and day.

Ratings do matter. Height and weight not so much, but attributes like strength matter a whole lot. We just need to play with the ratings. Most ppl don't want to do that and I really do understand that. I was reluctant as well because I know how hard I worked last year to get the game to play right and didn't want to do it again this year, but I really don't have a choice.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...lay-guide.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

what about break tackle and jumping?
spec. catch and catch in traffic?
block shedding?
i think 13 does not go off ratings its just whatever happens happens
NFL-TITANS

LET THE DUECE LOOSE!!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytarious5
block shedding?

And you think this way because? You can't make blanket statements like this based off of the way the game plays out of the box. I just wrote that.

First of all Break Tackle does work, but in different ways for different backs. A Power back with high Trucking and Stiff Arm will break tackles using those attributes. A back with High Elusiveness will break tackles using the Spin and Juke attributes. A back with a all of these attributes rated around the same level will perform all of these when a break tackle animation is triggered.

That is why you have to tweak the ratings to keep speed backs from trucking ppl and power backs from juking ppl off of the field. EA ratings out of the box distorts the true abilities of most of the players and ratings are given out so liberally that it is hard to notice the great from the avg.

You should test before you judge. Pick a team and go to the Defense. Lower all of the players pursuit ratings to 0 and watch what happens. Do this with any rating and check the results. Then come back and post here.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytarious5
block shedding?
First of all, let me respond to you. In my experience (I haven't done any kind of testing on it) ratings such as Spectacular Catch, CIT, and Jumping don't work the way they should. Now that doesn't mean they don't have an influence on the game. Here are a few examples:

(a) A player with a jumping skill of 95 is more likely to jump for a ball thrown high than a player with a 65 jump. What this rating should mean, however, is how well a player jumps and how high. This would change the vertical radius in which the player could reach for the ball.

(b) A player with Spectacular Catch rating of 95 is more likely to dive for the ball than a player with 65 SC. Now this ratings works a little more than say, jumping, but the real way it should work is this: A player with high SC should not only be more likely to attempt those crazy catches, they should have a wider radius to which the ball can be thrown to them and they can still catch it.

Now the second thing I wanted to say, is that hopefully with the Physics (2.0) system being implemented next year, as well as probably O-Line/D-Line interaction physics, ratings should matter a lot more than they do now. Instead of everything being a simple probability, it should be more of who is in position to make the play, does this player's rating indicate that they would make this play more often then not, and do the ratings of the opposing player (say, a Right Tackle on a Defensive End) indicate that they could stop this from happening.

Here is a scenario for you:

A pass rushing Outside Linebacker hits the edge with an unexpected blitz (lets say from the right side). Due to the surprise, the OLB has an immediate edge over the Right Tackle. Now in this case, we should have multiple scenarios but in the case of NCAA '13 (and often Madden '13), we only get two. And those two scenarios are the OLB being "sucked" into the Right Tackle and being blocked successfully or the OLB runs by the Right Tackle and gets the sack. Instead, we should have at least three different possible resolutions to said example. Here are a few of those:

1) In this resolution the RT and OLB are balanced in ratings. Lets say the RT has 90 PB, 85 Awareness, 65 Speed, and 90 strength. On the flip side, the OLB has a 70 Finesse Move rating, 75 Speed, 75 Strength, and 90 Awareness. Now because the OLB has the edge on the speed rush, around 7/10 times, he should get to the QB unless there is another blocker in the backfield. In most of those 7 cases, you should see the Right Tackle at least slow the OLB down a bit, but not enough to keep him out of the QB's face.

2) In this resolution, the RT is much better than the OLB in terms of ratings, but still at a disadvantage in terms of position. What happens here, you ask? Well, in this case, the ratings should almost make up for lost position, so now we are looking at about a 50% success rate for the blitzing OLB instead of 70%. Here, the Right Tackle would likely use quick footwork and good awareness to make the block before the OLB can get around the edge. Sometimes this will stop the OLB, sometimes it won't. Remember, the OLB had better position.

3) Now lets say we have a Freshman RT and an All-American LOLB. Not only does the Linebacker have the ratings advantage, but he also has an advantage in position. Not only does the LOLB get the edge, but he is also on a bee-line to the QB for an easy sack. With both position and better skills, the OLB makes this play about 90% of the time.

With all of that said, I'm not sure we will be getting a true ratings system anytime soon. But with physics on the horizon, things definitely look better than before.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10

Last edited by BenGerman; 10-18-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #15
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

I can say without shadows of doubt that ratings do matter in this game. I think EA's major problem is that the ratings are too blasted high. For example...

A player does not have to have 95 speed to be fast on this game. 95 speed on this game is warp speed. Some would think that if you edited down and had the fastest guys at 80-82 that they would move slow; but that's just not the case. EA's football field is too small to have players running around at 90 speed.

Also, for people who have issues with QB's being too accurate...do this...

Go in and pick any QB and edit his QB ACC rating to 0. Then play a game with that same QB and I guarantee you that you won't be able to complete anything. Forget the QB ACC slider for a second. Go edit that QB rating and then report your findings.

Lastly...find out which ratings matter most to the particular positon you are trying to rate. The bottom line is you have to be willing to go under the hood and put in work. Some people aren't...some don't have the time and i feel that. But, if you do I guarantee it will take your gaming experience to another level!

I'm currently shifting my focus from individual players per say to rating the players based on the scheme they run IRL with help from Madden CCM manual. I'm currently working on Bama's defense to be an attacking style 3-4 Defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 10

I have to agree. Rating do matter. Last year I edited the every team, every player (and thanks Sundown) and it was like a new game. This year I haven't had the time to edit anything on a large scale. However from what I have done...they do matter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »