Home

3-4 defense

This is a discussion on 3-4 defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
3-4 defense

How do you stop the run with the 3-4 defense
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: 3-4 defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworld
How do you stop the run with the 3-4 defense
Step one is normally to go into a zone defense. I find that a 3-4 defense with a LB in QB Spy works well. The LB will hang around the line until the QB hands off, then go after the RB. It also helps a ton if the QB is a running QB and/or runs the option. The Cover 2 works well because the two CBs in short zone will normally chop down runs to the outside, while the LBs take care of runs on the inside.

Of course, it helps a lot if you are good at taking user control of a LB or safety. But I normally take control of the DT or a DE and try to bust through the line and force the RB to take a different route which gives the rest of the D time to collapse on him.

Depending on the type rushing attack, the 5-2 and 1-5-5 can also be useful against the run.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataBull
Step one is normally to go into a zone defense. I find that a 3-4 defense with a LB in QB Spy works well. The LB will hang around the line until the QB hands off, then go after the RB. It also helps a ton if the QB is a running QB and/or runs the option. The Cover 2 works well because the two CBs in short zone will normally chop down runs to the outside, while the LBs take care of runs on the inside.

Of course, it helps a lot if you are good at taking user control of a LB or safety. But I normally take control of the DT or a DE and try to bust through the line and force the RB to take a different route which gives the rest of the D time to collapse on him.

Depending on the type rushing attack, the 5-2 and 1-5-5 can also be useful against the run.
you know how to stop the shotgun heavy formation? and ho do you do moves with the d line
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Just started!

OVR: 0

I use the 335 for passing defense and the 3-4 and 4-3 for run defense. My favorite run stopping play with the 3-4 though is pinch. I use it from either of the 3-4 formations. What I do is spread the lbers and re-blitz the outside lbers. i usually user the blitzing mlb but if they are getting a few yards on me which is rare i will just control the mlb covering the hb and blitz with him as well. just make sure the hb isn't going out for a screen and you should be ok. hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 14

Side question- How well does the cpu recruit for the 3-4 defense? Interested in what they go for when it comes to OLB and DE's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworld
you know how to stop the shotgun heavy formation? and ho do you do moves with the d line
The key to user control of the DLine is the right stick. It really depends on the skills of the DLineman you are using and the opposing OLine as to which method. Sometimes a right stick down power move will just pancake the OLinemand and let you bust up whatever is going on. Usually you need to wiggle the stick right or left to shake the oLineman and get into the backfield on a run play. The left stick controls whether you move left, right or straight up the field. The biggest key when stopping the run is guessing which gap the RB is going to take. If you push left and the RB goes to your right, that can leave a big hole unless the LB fills. On the other hand, if the RB also goes to your left you will either wrap him up right there, or make him stutter step which gives the rest of your guys time to close in. I like controlling a DT, but when defending the run I will move around to whichever guy looks like can have the most impact on the run play.

I can't say I run into the Shotgun Heavy formation too often. Usually the running teams will either spread with four wides or run out of a standard formation with a fullback.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »