Home

This game is so close to greatness now.

This is a discussion on This game is so close to greatness now. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #25
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: This game is so close to greatness now.

I want to agree, but when the game freezes at halftime or in the post-game animator once every few games, I just can't get into it. The freezing has just completely ruined the game for me and I doubt I'll pick '13 back up because of it. It's a shame because I want to enjoy the game. I really do. But I don't want to waste 30-45 minutes of my life playing a half of football, then the game freezes on me at the animator because I forgot to skip past it. I was having a blast with the slider set I was using. Never even noticed the safety glitch until I read about it on here and all the outrage. It's the freezing that finally made me put it down for good.

I'm not going to stop buying the game, because it has promise and is a solid title, but if they don't fix the freezing next year I might not buy it for a few years on next-gen.... and I've bought the NCAA series every year since NCAA Football '98.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
In my opinion of course. There has been some discussion of it in other threads, but I wanted to talk about it in more detail. Yes, it took four patches, and many legacy issues are still hanging around, e.g. no pass interference calls, but this game is playing really well now.

As far as the number one gameplay bugaboo, the safety play for the CPU, playing on almost default Heisman, with nine minute quarters, I might see a half a dozen plays where they botch the coverage(that's with me looking at replays), and with settings that I'm using, the CPU gets enough pressure on me that I only have time to hit those guys that are coming free 2 or 3 times a game, and I have to see it in real time. We know that it is a setting glitch that should have been fixed, but it probably is mirroring the actual number of blow coverages that occur every game in college football these days.

So many other things though seem to have been tightened up quite a bit.

Blocking is better, i.e. less matador plays by FB's, pulling G's, and WR's
the left end doesn't seem to be as overpowered in comparison to the right end now
LB's play much better in their zones now
tackling animations are more varied and tackle ratings seem to matter more as well
With the exception of PI, penalty sliders are more sensitive/effective
fatigue works better resulting in more carries for back up RB's

I could list a lot more, but the most impressive improvement is the CPU playcalling and execution. For me on Heisman right now, IMO, the CPU RB and QB AI is the best its been in a decade, but without the Robo qualities. I have an A+ team across the board and it was so nice in the last game to see the CPU 93 OVR, star running back play like a star player and still be effective. For the first time in many, many years, the the CPU RB was hitting the right holes, running north-south instead of east-west for no reason. He had 24 carries for 165, with most of the runs in between the tackles for 4 or 5 yards an occasional juke or spin when necessary, but mainly just running downhill.

The QB wasn't as good a player so he made a few mistakes in the passing game, but he didn't get sacked on any screens, or scramble into tackles brainlessly. He played the way you would expect an average QB to play against the number one team in the country.

I'm going to start over in my dynasty, it's going to be really fun building my team back up, now that recruiting and gameplay have been improved so much.

i dont see how this game is close to greatness this game is far far away from greatness.. gameplay needs more work, ai logic of when to hit open holes in running game an just better logic on offense an defense, blocking needs work with pulling lineman an just holding their blocks longer also need better db's logic they always getting beat deep.. there too much to name thats wrong so i just dont see how people can say this game close to greatness
Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #27
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2321
i dont see how this game is close to greatness this game is far far away from greatness.. gameplay needs more work, ai logic of when to hit open holes in running game an just better logic on offense an defense, blocking needs work with pulling lineman an just holding their blocks longer also need better db's logic they always getting beat deep.. there too much to name thats wrong so i just dont see how people can say this game close to greatness
You compare it to everything we've HAD, not everything you WANT from this gen. What you said would make the game that much better but no next gen NCAA game has had this. I suppose if you made an argument one did, it probably had a glaring issue bigger in another area.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #28
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2321
I definitely agree with you on this, but I also think the game improved a lot since the last patch. I am one of the biggest critics of the DB glitch and the botched AI logic, but the game does play better now.

The frustrating thing for me is that I can get a really nice game going after doing full roster edits, but as we all know that takes a ton of time. The other frustrating thing is the sliders. They work beautifully in Practice mode. They are very sensitive and responsive. It's very easy to make subtle changes and see the results on the field clearly, but when you use the same settings in a Play Now or Dynasty game they dont have the same effect. They are less responsive and you need to make substantial changes in order to see the same results. In the case of the Rush D slider I can get the CPU speed option game going consistently in Practice mode with a setting of 10 for the HUM, but when I take these results to Play Now games the DBs react to the option as if the slider is set to 50 and not 10. We don't even need to mention that the QBA slider does not work at all in Play Now or Dynasty. If the sliders worked the same way they did in Practice mode we could get a more organic, free flowing feel to the game.

The only way to iron out a lot of these issues is to edit the rosters. I'm tired of that. If EA could just give us a game that worked from the front to the back I would be happy. Guys are asking for helmets and fancy sleeves and BS. We need a game that works inside and out for a change, namely the sliders.

Last edited by Sundown2600; 10-31-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #29
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
Guys are asking for helmets and fancy sleeves and BS.
I am so sick of these requests as well! Amen brother.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #30
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I personally think NCAA 13 is the best football game released this generation!

No question for me as well. And it is not even close.

Madden has been...let's just say yin and yang. NCAA 13 is a very solid, tight and highly entertaining football game. One of my all time favs.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #31
Pro

xcrushx's Arena

I think this year's game is the best it's been since the switch to next gen consoles. However, it's still far from greatness. Still a lot of changes that need to be made. A lot of features that still don't work and the game is still missing features that we had on the previous gen consoles.
NHL: Washington Capitals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
In my opinion of course. There has been some discussion of it in other threads, but I wanted to talk about it in more detail. Yes, it took four patches, and many legacy issues are still hanging around, e.g. no pass interference calls, but this game is playing really well now.

As far as the number one gameplay bugaboo, the safety play for the CPU, playing on almost default Heisman, with nine minute quarters, I might see a half a dozen plays where they botch the coverage(that's with me looking at replays), and with settings that I'm using, the CPU gets enough pressure on me that I only have time to hit those guys that are coming free 2 or 3 times a game, and I have to see it in real time. We know that it is a setting glitch that should have been fixed, but it probably is mirroring the actual number of blow coverages that occur every game in college football these days.

So many other things though seem to have been tightened up quite a bit.

Blocking is better, i.e. less matador plays by FB's, pulling G's, and WR's
the left end doesn't seem to be as overpowered in comparison to the right end now
LB's play much better in their zones now
tackling animations are more varied and tackle ratings seem to matter more as well
With the exception of PI, penalty sliders are more sensitive/effective
fatigue works better resulting in more carries for back up RB's

I could list a lot more, but the most impressive improvement is the CPU playcalling and execution. For me on Heisman right now, IMO, the CPU RB and QB AI is the best its been in a decade, but without the Robo qualities. I have an A+ team across the board and it was so nice in the last game to see the CPU 93 OVR, star running back play like a star player and still be effective. For the first time in many, many years, the the CPU RB was hitting the right holes, running north-south instead of east-west for no reason. He had 24 carries for 165, with most of the runs in between the tackles for 4 or 5 yards an occasional juke or spin when necessary, but mainly just running downhill.

The QB wasn't as good a player so he made a few mistakes in the passing game, but he didn't get sacked on any screens, or scramble into tackles brainlessly. He played the way you would expect an average QB to play against the number one team in the country.

I'm going to start over in my dynasty, it's going to be really fun building my team back up, now that recruiting and gameplay have been improved so much.
Just curious as to what slider set and rosters you are using? Can you shed some light on your current slider set please?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »