Home

QB read Glitch?

This is a discussion on QB read Glitch? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: QB read Glitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvlawguy
We ended up banning the read option from our OD. All the players in the league are pretty good. We play Heisman on extremely heavy weighted CPU sliders. The CPU doesn't run the read very much but when they do its usually for good gain. That is no big deal (I would actually like to see the CPU run the play more to make it more challenging). The problem was user read. Theoretically, when you spy the qb you should be able to stop the qb run, but the spy is broken on read. There would be plays on read where the whole team would run with the rb and no one would stay home on the QB. It was increasingly frustrating to see slow user Qbs accumulate huge rushing totals. This meant that the only way to stop the QB run was to user control the player designed to account for QB. While this can be done to limit the gain, the user gets stuck playing one defensive player the whole game just to limit that single play that is unreasonably effective ... in our OD, every user team was running read option to excess ... we concluded though after a couple of seasons that the play was broken enough to ban it.

I agree with the posters that there are ways to stop this play. Every play has its weak points and is stoppable. But certain plays are too effective and skew stats, etc., when they get abused. This is one of those plays. We play several seasons of OD each year. Each new game has its share of money plays. When we see these plays we ban them.... no slot vertical routes, no smash routes, no maryland power I off tackle ... we've banned motion from certain formations, and we only allow the same play to be used once out of the same formation per drive no matter the length of the drive ... all this is to abolish the competitive advantage because of CPU limitations. What is comes down to is how hard you want to make your OD. I hope that EA fixes the read option problems (like they fixed the speed option a few years ago that was broken) because Read is such a big part of college football today... but until then...

wow,.. thats a tough list of things you cant run. i'd have to have that written in front of me to remember all of that stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #26
Rookie

MuthaFugga_Jones's Arena

I just blitz the mess outta the user! If I can wreck him on 1st, it shrinks his playbook to a Tecmo Bowl size!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman334
wow,.. thats a tough list of things you cant run. i'd have to have that written in front of me to remember all of that stuff.
We've been playing several seasons so there is a general consensus on what we can and can't do. Its all honor code. Certain money plays aren't allowed. Other than that, we don't allow motioning of running backs or allow motioning of the farthest edge receiver.. which limits abuse of option and counter into space. It actually makes the games a lot more challenging. We usually play 6-user-team OD with middle of conference teams. Right now we are playing PAC-12 with a substitution of BYU in for Colorado. We make the sliders pretty difficult with a dramatic cpu advantage and play on Heisman. To make it even more difficult, we jack up elite conference teams to make them very very hard to beat. USC, Ducks, Stanford, are all 99s on both sides of the ball. We then increase LBS to all 99s on nearly every other team in the conference to make it more difficult to run and pass. The road games are always tough to win even against the average teams in the conference. The elite teams are nearly impossible to beat. Plus, you have to win games against the several other user teams. So all in all, its pretty tough but very fun.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #28
Pro

IUxHOOSIERS's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
The entire purpose of the play. The read option is supposed to be hard to defend since it is designed to make the defense guess wrong on who is getting the ball (See any Oregon game recently). As many plays and concepts that are broken in this game you complain about the one that works as intended. I'd hate to see some of you guys as offensive/defensive coordinators, every play that worked on you, you'd petition for a sanction from the NCAA.
But I think what he forgot to say was that you get a HUGE gain when you successfully do it, and a bad loss when you guess wrong. There is no in between in this game. In real life you can run it right and still get a minimal gain.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 4

hmm... i always thought zone reads were stoppable, all you have to do is blitz hard. I run it alot in an OD im in, i think with the right sliders it can be made tough because the Oline has to hold their blocks a lil longer.

but when i play against somebody that does it, i just send some LBs, they usually just bust the play up....

Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
Pro

silver281gt's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvlawguy
We ended up banning the read option from our OD. All the players in the league are pretty good. We play Heisman on extremely heavy weighted CPU sliders. The CPU doesn't run the read very much but when they do its usually for good gain. That is no big deal (I would actually like to see the CPU run the play more to make it more challenging). The problem was user read. Theoretically, when you spy the qb you should be able to stop the qb run, but the spy is broken on read. There would be plays on read where the whole team would run with the rb and no one would stay home on the QB. It was increasingly frustrating to see slow user Qbs accumulate huge rushing totals. This meant that the only way to stop the QB run was to user control the player designed to account for QB. While this can be done to limit the gain, the user gets stuck playing one defensive player the whole game just to limit that single play that is unreasonably effective ... in our OD, every user team was running read option to excess ... we concluded though after a couple of seasons that the play was broken enough to ban it.

I agree with the posters that there are ways to stop this play. Every play has its weak points and is stoppable. But certain plays are too effective and skew stats, etc., when they get abused. This is one of those plays. We play several seasons of OD each year. Each new game has its share of money plays. When we see these plays we ban them.... no slot vertical routes, no smash routes, no maryland power I off tackle ... we've banned motion from certain formations, and we only allow the same play to be used once out of the same formation per drive no matter the length of the drive ... all this is to abolish the competitive advantage because of CPU limitations. What is comes down to is how hard you want to make your OD. I hope that EA fixes the read option problems (like they fixed the speed option a few years ago that was broken) because Read is such a big part of college football today... but until then...

I really thinksome people who play this game never watch football. I have seen this happen every sat in college games. Heck I think i have seen it happen in the NFL with defense's playing against RGIII.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #31
Rookie

i've been toying with read option lately. the reason it looks like it works everytime is because the person you are playing makes the right read everytime. It's called "read" option. on that play sometimes the read is to the RB. if the read is to keep, the QB will normally pick up yards. anyone wanna lab the play and figure out how to stop or how to better use it i'll be around on ps3 this afternoon. pm me for my ea name.

Last edited by bigman334; 12-05-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #32
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
No, there is not a glitch. You have to make a manual play and be smart. Turn your coaching adjustments to focus on the QB on option, if he is running outside every play, spread and contain your line and backers and force him to run up the middle. It is common sense. I run gun option as my entire offense and absolutely destroy people because most just don't use common sense on defense when it comes to the option.

And Pistol Full House has packages to put 3 HB's, a FB/TE/HB and WR's in the backfield. There is nothing cheesy or glitchy about that. I use the 3 HB package almost exclusively because it doesn't betray the strength of your formation.

When I do have a fullback in the formation, I use the Fullback package which puts the FB behind the QB and the two HB's on either side. It makes it a lot like Flexbone.
i've had a similar situation and tried everything you listed.... it doesn't work, there is something seriously wrong with the play. I mean this game wasn't rated the worst NCAA Football game for no reason

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »