Home

Help with beating man coverage

This is a discussion on Help with beating man coverage within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Help with beating man coverage

Does anyone have any reliable ways to beat man coverage? The only thread I found that had any decent advice said to run the ball more, but its hard to run the ball when you're in a 2-minute drill. I run predominately during most of the game, but when I have to throw, people just sit in man and wait for their line to get pressure on me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Banned

siouxredskins's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Help with beating man coverage

man is actually a joke depending on how you get blitzed ?

just wait a couple beats. there a people that say both man and zone suck, but at least in zone you wont end up chasing people as often.

people pick man defense too often and the WR always get ahead of the defender in alot of intances. Yes, route mirroring still sucks etc but just wait a couple seconds and someone is open
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
MVP

Shibito's Arena

Slants do wonders against man. Hit them just after they break. Press man can often be beat with a streak.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
Rookie

Slants can work, especially during the normal course of the game, but I guess my main problem is passing on man coverage in 2-minute situations. 5-6 yards in the middle of the field don't help too much unless it moving the chains. Streaks aren't as good with the 2 deep, and I'm not a big fan of relying on those anyways. My WRs do look like they are ahead a lot, but DBs always seem to be able to catch up and make a play on the ball. Classic example is the WR getting the DB on his back hip on a slant, but the DB is still normally able to get underneath the route when the ball is thrown. You don't get a whole lot of separation with the DBs on the teams most people like to play with.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketit10
Slants can work, especially during the normal course of the game, but I guess my main problem is passing on man coverage in 2-minute situations. 5-6 yards in the middle of the field don't help too much unless it moving the chains. Streaks aren't as good with the 2 deep, and I'm not a big fan of relying on those anyways. My WRs do look like they are ahead a lot, but DBs always seem to be able to catch up and make a play on the ball. Classic example is the WR getting the DB on his back hip on a slant, but the DB is still normally able to get underneath the route when the ball is thrown. You don't get a whole lot of separation with the DBs on the teams most people like to play with.
In 2 minute drill with man coverage hit them with double move routes. Forgot what the plays are called exactly but if he's playing man ur receiver will get atleast 5 yards of separation. Then have 1 receiver running a comeback/hook route as your safety route. Other routes, post and corner routes work sometimes too.

Basically in man coverage on offense it's all about reading the coverage. One play the receiver will get separation on the DB. but the very next play if u run the same exact route he might be covered perfectly. It all depends if u gt separation. Gotta be patient, don't force anything, that's what the guy playing man defense wants you to do, to lose your patience and force a throw through a tight window.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Rookie

zoon politikon's Arena

Six plays that will get your opponent out of man

1) curls-if you hit the timing right=unstoppable (borderline cheese if you run it exclusively).

2)WR outs-similar timing to the curls

3)-hb screens- will kill man if the user doesn't hot route to QB contain

4) shallow crosses-wont get you a lot of yards, but they work. Its a nice change of pace, especially if you are in sim dynasties, and play call variety is a must.

5) Y stick from the Air Raid playbooks- the y stick is money, but will only get you a few yards, yet sometimes the HB coming out of the backfield n the shoot route will also be open for a short time, which will result in a 4-6 yard gain.

6) trail shake-open all day-also borderline cheese play if you run it exclusively.

For the instances where you finally get your opponent out of man, if you run a curl route to your near side WR, and a slant with your far side receiver, the slant will be open in zone(curl will be covered in some zones), but you have to throw it at the right time, or the MLB will step in front of the pass and int.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Just started!

Hit them just after they break.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Since you are in the 2 minute drill, I would recommend deep outs, flags, and posts. Posts are good, but depending on your timeout situation and position on the field. I like to run deep outs out of trips and have a deep go route along with a short route. The deep out is pretty risky and is all about reading whether or not the receiver will be open before he makes his cut because you want the pass getting to the receiver right as he is coming out of his cut, otherwise the defender will have time to regroup and cut off the pass.

A flag route can be huge, but can also be risky. Again the pass need to be made as or before the receiver cuts to the outside. If the defense has safety help over the top you will want to direct the pass more to the sideline, but if there is no safety help, there is a decent chance of putting some touch on the pass and directing the pass more downfield for the big play.

Posts can be very good, but they also limit your chance of getting out of bounds. You also have to be quick if they have safety help over the top.

One thing that I have run into is players that are very good at taking a MLB or safety and playing coverage in the middle of the field/covering deep routes. This is when outs and flags come in very handy because they can't cover to the outside as easily. In this situation you will want to direct your wr's to the sideline with more of a "bullet" pass to keep them from being able to get help with their safety. May have to go to some shorter outs too as it is possible to get to the deep outs with a safety.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »