Home

Animations & Ratings, how they go hand in hand

This is a discussion on Animations & Ratings, how they go hand in hand within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Animations & Ratings, how they go hand in hand

Why isn't this in the Madden forum?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #26
Rookie

leathrneck34's Arena

OVR: 3

I want to start this post out by saying " I whole heartedly agree with the OP ". However, if we keep this up we should just put down the controller forever. Because EA owning the rights to Ncaa football ( for as long as it lasts before noone can make a Ncaa game) and the rights to the NFL nothing is going to change period. So all of us might as well put up the controller and never play a football game again or at the very least till were too old to care about playing a video game.

The game they have put out this year (in my opinion) is the best damn game I have seen since this gen started and I personally am going to play the crap out of it till I have a Xbox one and another Ncaa to play on it. All the blasting this game has received again (in my opinion) is not unfounded, but blown completely out of proportion to the point that we all might as well give up and stop playing forever.

Every post I find interesting on this forum I read. In every single one of them someone has to come in and point out all the flaws this game and every game they have ever put out since before the exclusivity deal came around has in them, and why they hate it.

I do agree with the Op, but I choose to enjoy what they got right about the game myself. Maybe if by some mistake they get it all right one day (when pigs fly) and put out the perfect football game. Someone, somewhere will find something wrong with it.

End of my rant... again not trying to ruin anyone's day, just my opinion.

Gotmadskillzson's posts are always well thought out and intelligent and I enjoy reading them. I also hope this post gets to a Dev over there at some point. Hopefully one of them will listen,read and not get all pissy lol.

Last edited by leathrneck34; 07-09-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 19

This and then they go and change the game saves so that 3rd party editing no longer works, as though the game is built on top of something that another developer would want to steal/duplicate!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
This and then they go and change the game saves so that 3rd party editing no longer works, as though the game is built on top of something that another developer would want to steal/duplicate!!!
Does Xans editor not work with the official release? Is this confirmed or just based off of the demo and early release files?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #29
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Well if this is true it was something you predicted last year. Nobody should be surprised
Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

The animation library is extremely limited IMO. I am 100% down with a Tier system and that's what I've wanted for the past year or so. When RTP was introduced it was evident it wasn't going to solve anything. Having an in depth animation library that triggers the proper animation for the proper situation and incorporates attributes is ideal.

In Madden I will say that many of the attributes actually do make a difference so I disagree with you there.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 4

Good post, GMS, I would love to see your suggestions implemented into a football game (and honestly they should have by now).

For me, it all comes down to two things: Passion for games and monopoly.

The key ingredient to making a good video game in my opinion, regardless of genre, is passion. As a game developer, you need to WANT to make a good game and you need to understand what would make it a good game. That really shines through in the greatest games ever made – not just sports related. Your passion should always be driving you forward to create the best game possible.
If EA had any passion left for the NCAA franchise they would have made changes like the ones you suggest.

I doubt EA actually thinks highly of their NCAA series in terms of game quality. If they really wanted to, I'm sure they could make a good football game, although it would take a lot of restructuring, but it has become apparent, that the passion isn't there. This goes hand in hand with the fact, that they are the only company that produces a football game every year. Although I'm not American, it seems to me that selling the rights to a company, allowing them to practically enforce a monopoly on any form of sports game goes against the American way? If it's not possible for other companies to compete in this market, how can the quality of a product be upheld to a satisfactory degree for the consumers? The truth is it can not always be.

For a comparison, just look at how NBA LIVE was utterly destroyed by NBA 2K. I'm a sports fan in general, so I've played most if not all of EA's sports games that was available to me. I've played NBA LIVE since '97 and witnessed the franchise develop. At some point during the mid/late 00s it just stagnated and 2K took over because they still seemed to care. Have the same thing happened to NCAA? If the Madden or NCAA series had any (real) competition they would be forced to either greatly improve the game or concede yet another franchise.

Let me just say, that I don't hate EA and love 2K, but I do like companies that try their hardest making good games over companies that don't do much in that regard.
What EA Sports have done with this current gen of football games is mind-boggling to say the least, since their FIFA and NHL series are decent, but their way of thinking seems to be, that if we produce the only football game on the market, why bother when we know people will buy our game anyway? In reality that is a sad, dishonest and completely wrong approach to gaming that shouldn't be allowed to exist in the gaming industry.

It seems to me that 2K tries its hardest at the moment (or at least much harder than EA) and that is why I would like to see another football game made by 2K Sports, but honestly I couldn't care less about who made a new ambitious football game for the next gen consoles, because in the end, the consumers couldn't care less about the company itself, what they want is the best possible game that can be offered to them.

Last edited by kwankwan; 07-09-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #32
Rookie

leathrneck34's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwankwan
Good post, GMS, I would love to see your suggestions implemented into a football game (and honestly they should have by now).

For me, it all comes down to two things: Passion for games and monopoly.

The key ingredient to making a good video game in my opinion, regardless of genre, is passion. As a game developer, you need to WANT to make a good game and you need to understand what would make it a good game. That really shines through in the greatest games ever made – not just sports related. Your passion should always be driving you forward to create the best game possible.
If EA had any passion left for the NCAA franchise they would have made changes like the ones you suggest.

I doubt EA actually thinks highly of their NCAA series in terms of game quality. If they really wanted to, I'm sure they could make a good football game, although it would take a lot of restructuring, but it has become apparent, that the passion isn't there. This goes hand in hand with the fact, that they are the only company that produces a football game every year. Although I'm not American, it seems to me that selling the rights to a company, allowing them to practically enforce a monopoly on any form of sports game goes against the American way? If it's not possible for other companies to compete in this market, how can the quality of a product be upheld to a satisfactory degree for the consumers? The truth is it can not always be.

For a comparison, just look at how NBA LIVE was utterly destroyed by NBA 2K. I'm a sports fan in general, so I've played most if not all of EA's sports games that was available to me. I've played NBA LIVE since '97 and witnessed the franchise develop. At some point during the mid/late 00s it just stagnated and 2K took over because they still seemed to care. Have the same thing happened to NCAA? If the Madden or NCAA series had any (real) competition they would be forced to either greatly improve the game or concede yet another franchise.

Let me just say, that I don't hate EA and love 2K, but I do like companies that try their hardest making good games over companies that don't do much in that regard.
What EA Sports have done with this current gen of football games is mind-boggling to say the least, since their FIFA and NHL series are decent, but their way of thinking seems to be, that if we produce the only football game on the market, why bother when we know people will buy our game anyway? In reality that is a sad, dishonest and completely wrong approach to gaming that shouldn't be allowed to exist in the gaming industry.

It seems to me that 2K tries its hardest at the moment (or at least much harder than EA) and that is why I would like to see another football game made by 2K Sports, but honestly I couldn't care less about who made a new ambitious football game for the next gen consoles, because in the end, the consumers couldn't care less about the company itself, what they want is the best possible game that can be offered to them.
This is truth... Competition breeds innovation and invention, without it a company has no incentive to innovate or change to make a superior game. However, EA does not and most likely will not have any for the next 10 years. Although, the Exclusivity deal between EA and the NFL expires after I think this year or next. Who else has the money to buy it if the NFL only wants one company making their games?

I myself have said in a previous post on this thread that I plan to play this version of Ncaa for a while as I am not buying a next gen system till sometime next year. I think it is a great game with a lot of potential and (in my opinion) is the best they have put out this gen. Sure it has holes some glaring some minor, but overall I think the reviews are wrong and based on all the things that have been removed that the casual fan appreciates and IGN and all them are reviewing games for the masses not the sim player. This year the game EA made is more of what we want and not the general population.

I also believe with some patching and slider geeks (and roster editor's) getting their hands deep into this game. It will be looked at as the best the last generation put out once we roll over to next gen and most people put up their 360's.

As always this is my personal opinion and no one has to agree with me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »