Home

Documents: EA Sports designed games to replicate existing NCAA athletes

This is a discussion on Documents: EA Sports designed games to replicate existing NCAA athletes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #33
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Documents: EA Sports designed games to replicate existing NCAA athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky911
This. They skirted a line, as it is described. There were strict actions that were prohibited by NCAA (names and pictures) that EA avoided using. However, there was intention to get "likeness" (height, weight, race, position, home state) that were used. It will be up to the courts to determine if these actions "crossed a line", since there was no violation of explicitly prohibited actions. Even if found guilty, it wont be then end of virtual college football. It's far too profitable. EA might lose exclusivity of licensing (or lose all licensing), but it will be an opportunity for another company to make a better game. The sky isnt falling. This actually might be fortuitous for gamers.
I think people might be forgetting if the stakes are high enough, unfortunately, jobs might be lost, too, and not just the higher ups, if and when a decision is rendered.

That's the trajedy of the situation, game or no game.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Documents: EA Sports designed games to replicate existing NCAA athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
They could still include a player editor. The # and characteristics of each player are the things that matter. For example, for years Barry Bonds refused to sell his likeness but baseball games still allowed you to create a player like him. Bonds had no standing to prevent that and neither does O'Bannon.
While I agree that how the law currently reads there is no standing, an argument could be still be made that due to the combination of player editing and a mass-distribution system (ie Roster Lockers) that the game maker's have provided enough tools for a user to recreate a likeness and mass-distribute it. Slim chance that it would hold up, but you only need one ruling to go your way to set a precedent.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #35
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
They could still include a player editor. The # and characteristics of each player are the things that matter. For example, for years Barry Bonds refused to sell his likeness but baseball games still allowed you to create a player like him. Bonds had no standing to prevent that and neither does O'Bannon.
I was actually waiting for you to speak on this. I gladly stand corrected.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0
I find it to be quite funny, all this EA bashing and giving "kudos" to a bunch of bums that either never made money or lost it all. I've been playing Madden since the Commodore days and NCAA since the Bill Walsh days. People whine and cry about cleats etc. is hilariously pathetic.
Nobody ever wanted to play as Ed O'Bannon or that bum Sam Keller. Lawsuits like this happen all the time and you never hear about them. Nothing will be changed. For you people that bash EA all the time feel free to play MLB2k, because that series is great! Don't buy EA games if you don't like 'em. Just start your own forum to B&M in incessantly already! We get it! EA held a gun to your head and made you buy their games. Wah wah wah.
Thank you and good night!

Sent from Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »