Home

Recruiting for the Flexbone

This is a discussion on Recruiting for the Flexbone within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
Rookie

TryHard_Nation's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Recruiting for the Flexbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher_0_3
Trying to decide if I should role straight up flexbone offense like Tech uses in my 7 man Online Dynasty. I guarantee my friends wouldn't see it coming the first couple of times, but I just don't know if it would be sustainable. I'll probably just ***** out and go with the Nevada Pistol or Oregon Offense.
I was in an OD with my bro and he pulled it out against me in the natty game. Unstoppable when you're unprepared.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard_Nation
*Yes I did do a search for the topic*

With the improvements to the option game in NCAA 14, I have decided that I am going to run with a flexbone offense. I did some reading about the offense and learned a lot but have NCAA specific questions. If someone could provide a break down of what attributes I should look for in players and certain things like if a Rb or TE can play as the FB. What are the main attributes by position I should be looking at when scouting?
TEs aren't needed if you are only going to be running the flexbone exclusively, if you add some pistol formations then you'll want to look into them.

There is no fullback in the flexbone, there's the A-Back and the B-Back, the B-Back lines up behind the QB and the A-Backs line up on the wings (in the game A-Backs are running backs), but in both situations they are running backs with different specialties.

You want A-Backs to be fast, but they should also be decent run-blockers (they will need to be able to throw a block on the edge to free the ball carrier), when you pass out of the Flexbone they are going to be running routes so it doesn't hurt for them to be good pass catchers either.

B-Backs are powerbacks, it should be very interesting seeing how the new speed burst mechanic works this year because that is a big part of their game. They power through the line and then turn it up in the open field. The ideal B-Back is a guy like Jonathan Dwyer, he's put on some weight since entering the pros and it has effected his speed but at the college level he was the perfect example. The ability to run over players and kick it into that next gear as soon as you see daylight. Acceleration is something you will want to look at for this purpose, it can be the difference between churning out medium gains and game-changing plays.

It is not a bad idea to look at Fullbacks for the system, bruisers who can grind out yards while your primary guy is taking a breather, having a guy like this is much more efficient than wasting another RB who could be lining up at A-Back for you. These guys could also line-up at TE if you choose to run out of the pistol for a change of pace.

WRs need to be able to block, if you can get a game-changing WR (say some hot-shot is really interested in your school) go after him hard, guys like that really open up the offense. Demaryius Thomas soared to the top WR taken in the 2010 draft because of what he did his Junior year in this offense, and its why a guy like Stephen Hill went from a late-round pick to a potential 1st rounder (ultimately drafted in the 2nd), they will get open so if you have a WR who can out jump or out-run the defense all you have to do is get the ball to him. Outside of that the main attributes will be catching and blocking, you're going to want fast guys but most importantly you are going to want guys who will catch the ball when you throw it to them (it really hurts a drive when the play goes well and the guy can't hold onto the ball, that was the story for Tech in 2010).
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
RIP Atlanta Thrashers
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #11
Banned

mailman2's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR3AMnCR1MS0N
hey jello, I know it's off topic, but did you go to MSU for "academic reasons"
You sure didn't go to Indiana for "football reasons"

I had to say
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #12
Rookie

CR3AMnCR1MS0N's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
You sure didn't go to Indiana for "football reasons"

I had to say
Dude I'm only 15. Don't make assumptions.

I know you were just kidding around but still.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #13
Banned

mailman2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR3AMnCR1MS0N
Dude I'm only 15. Don't make assumptions.

I know you were just kidding around but still.
LOL sorry I had to. Yeah I'm not in college yet either too. I can hardly talk, my favorite teams either don't play football or suck.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard_Nation
*Yes I did do a search for the topic*

With the improvements to the option game in NCAA 14, I have decided that I am going to run with a flexbone offense. I did some reading about the offense and learned a lot but have NCAA specific questions. If someone could provide a break down of what attributes I should look for in players and certain things like if a Rb or TE can play as the FB. What are the main attributes by position I should be looking at when scouting?
I ran the flexbone exclusively in 13 on the PS3. My preference to be to recruit receiving TE's and either convert them to WR immediately or sub them in as WR's. As far as the B-Back goes I go for more of a balanced back than anything else. Understand that this guy is a ball carrier first! his blocking will develop because of the position you put him at. His OVR will drop but don't worry about it. Usually if this guy can run through tackles and not fumble the ball he's good enough. Give them time to develop though his AWR will take a hit when you switch him over unless you can find an Ath who appears to be a very good back. Your A- Back (hb) I look for receiving type backs. These are your Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin type players. Decent receiving skills is a must to expose the mismatch of covering them with a LB. I can't give away everything unless we put together a community of flexbone guys, but I hope this helps
Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackarelli
I can't give away everything unless we put together a community of flexbone guys, but I hope this helps
Here's gonna be the best collection of guys on the topic. Hit us with your best shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
Rookie

nikka's Arena

OVR: 5

I was going to say I have had some moderate success recruiting TE's in the 6'1 230lbs - 6'2 250lbs range with 4.6 speed and converting them to Fullback. Don't just limit your B-Back options to Power RB's. You can find some speed TE's and convert. May need a RS to adjust to the redshirt year and gain attributes but it's always a viable option. Acceleration is key for B-Back.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »