Home

The Official NCAA 14 Flexbone Offense Thread

This is a discussion on The Official NCAA 14 Flexbone Offense Thread within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The Official NCAA 14 Flexbone Offense Thread

It seems that you use your A-backs in the passing game alot. I don't remember enough of last years flexbone playbook to see what the passing game was like.

Is your passing game pretty simple?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm Home!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
The biggest thing I need to know about this offense is formation selection. I plan on using GT's playbook to get a feel for the offense, but when you watch them play the use the Flexbone Normal formation 80% of the time even though there are several more Flexbone formations to use. I am curious on how others go about this.

Also, the other question I have is related to position changes and player rating dropping because of it. Do any of you Flexbone guys worry about player's ratings taking a significant dive when you switch them around? Converting TEs to WR or a big HBs to FB would seem to hurt their overall value. Any advice on this would help. Thanks.
it depends on how they line up.

If they come out in a balanced two safety look then you should use normal. ALL of my audibles are out of the normal formation.

If they get into a single safety look (either with their play call or by moving people) use the unbalanced formations. You will always have an advantage to one side or the other. Also when they come out in a single safety look they are open for a four vertical play out of normal and the trips formations. Keep that in mind.

I sometimes use Close against the 3-4 defense. I tend to use it more vs the computer than a user though. It gives me a way to continue to run my plays without the computer "figuring" me out.

To answer your second question use ATH wherever you can. This offense isn't built the way other offenses are, and I wish they would at least allow us to switch new recruits over with no AWR loss, but it is what it is.

Last edited by Slackarelli; 07-09-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

Slackarelli -

I know you listed strength as a key attribute, but I am not sure how you prioritze the other attributes. Could you do me a favor and do the following as it would likely be very helpful for myself and others to get an idea of what you are looking for:

Go into recruiting and look at only 3* backs (and ATH if there are any) for a given recruiting class. From there if you could pick out a few that you would target (interest doesnt matter in this scenario) and what key attributes lead you to them.

For example (completely making this up):

HB1 - STR - X; SPD - X, ACC - X

I think this would help and we could easily scale this up or down to project this into the level player we are recruiting (based on school).

Thanks!

Timeetyo's NCAA 14 Relegation & Violations System: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...on-system.html
Old 07-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

In last years game, the only way to get a QB fast enough to execute this offense at an acceptable rate was to recruit ATH with acceptable throw power and accuracy.

I have not played 14 yet (i'm at work and it is waiting for me at my house) but I suspect that they have not overhauled the recruiting skills because the FB's and QB's in the game are never fast enough which causes me to use HB's in the B-Back position and Ath's in the QB position.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

How is everyone doing with the triple option? I am having mixed results with Georgia State vs other 1* teams and I am wondering if it is my fail reads, poor play selection, or my team not having the personel to make it work. I sim 1/2 my games, so overal stats won't help much with the CPU messing with the averages, but here is a typical game:

A - 15-150
Z - 8-65
QB - 20-60
B - 8-35

A few things that I know are going on are:
- I am still missing 2-3 reads to the B back a game - so that's eating into his carries and dropping the QB's avg as he eats the -2
- My QB isn't fast enough to make them pay for letting him keep it. I've had some huge runs but they are far and few between. Normally i can tell i am *just* that close to turning the corner and miss it

So with that said - any idea why the following are happening:
- B back even when read correctly is not that effective. Although he is averaging around 4 YPC, it is coming in spurts that are not helpful for maintaining drives (1,10,-1, 1)
- The % of runs to the B back is way lower than expected (even if you added in what i mis-read)

Timeetyo's NCAA 14 Relegation & Violations System: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...on-system.html
Old 07-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

I am getting the same results. I have only played one game but have been in practice mode for several hours. In both instances the B back, even when read properly just isn't very effective for whatever reason. Yeah I get a couple of yards everytime but the B back just doesn't come off the ball fast enough. That and he seems to come off the outside hip of the guard too.

I guess I still need to test some more stuff, but the B back situation concerns me. I thought the B back was the main feature back in this offense but it seems to be the exact opposite? My A back gets the vast majority of carries because 9/10 the defender always goes for the QB. In NCAA 06 (my standard for football video games) there always seems to be a balance of who the defender would go after.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo
How is everyone doing with the triple option? I am having mixed results with Georgia State vs other 1* teams and I am wondering if it is my fail reads, poor play selection, or my team not having the personel to make it work. I sim 1/2 my games, so overal stats won't help much with the CPU messing with the averages, but here is a typical game:
I think your problem is you're playing with Georgia State. They won't be favorites over any team they play. Throw one of the real flex teams in there for a couple of games and then see if you're having similar results.

5 Staple Plays in the Flexbone Offense:

1.) Triple- You could run this play every play and I wouldn't consider it cheesing. I've seen high school and college teams run it over and over until they drove the ball down the field and into the endzone. Make the other team stop this before you start getting "creative".

2.) Trap Option- Eventually if you are playing a human, they will get frustrated, take over a linebacker and start over pursuing once they see which Slot back is going in motion. The trap will keep them honest because the run goes opposite of the motion.

3.) Misdirection- Similar reasoning as the trap, the misdirection should be used to take away overpursuing defenses. However, the blocking on this play is usually top notch from my experience and the slot back can really pick up some big yards without a read.

4.) Midline- This one may take some time to really master because you are reading the defensive tackle right in front of you. However, it's a great play if you can master it because instead of your typical inside/outside run design, this one is all about pounding the middle and you have lots of blockers dedicated to it.

5.) Flood- One of my favorite passing concepts, Flood can really burn a defense for lots of yards once they start getting frustrated and begin sending the house to stop the run. Have this play read as an audible for when you see it coming. If it's the corner, hit the streak. If it's an outside linebacker or safety hit the slot back once he cuts out. If the shallow is open dump it and pick up the easy yards. If you read it wrong and they are running man, take off for the first down as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »