Home

Option game overpowered? Maybe not....

This is a discussion on Option game overpowered? Maybe not.... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Option game overpowered? Maybe not....

After countless games in Season Mode, Dynasty mode, Play Now, Season Ticket, and the Demo, I like everyone else was becoming very frustrated with the inability to not only stop the option plays, but also my ability to just bury teams with Braxton Miller and Ohio State.

I decided to look into the numbers from last year and was shocked to notice that 75 teams averaged at least 150yd/gm on the ground last year. Even more interesting was that nearly half of those 75 (31) averaged more than 200 yards rushing per game.

Army led the nation in rushing yards per game lat year with 370ypg. The rest of the top ten looked like this:

Air Force 316
Oregon 315
Georgia Tech 311
New Mexico 300
Navy 278.5
Nevada 271
Nebraska 253
Tulsa 245
Ohio State 242

Teams 11-20

TAMU 242
NIU 238
Wisconsin 236
Baylor 231
Arizona 228
Alabama 228
LaTech 227
Kent State 226
Northwestern 226
San Diego State 220

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...gYardsPerGame?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Option game overpowered? Maybe not....

All i know is, and granted, i've only played nebraska vs nebraska games.

I'm at the point now where i can pretty much stuff it all together.

Like i went from not being able to stop anything, to starting to decide how i'm going to go about making my defense less effective with sliders.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Most informed people about the game of College Football knows the option, if run correctly, is pretty much unstoppable. People on her overreact an insane amount because they think stopping the option should be easy when going up against Oregon, GTech, Etc. It's not easy to stop, and the game is VERY accurate in that department. So all these slider gurus out here trying to nerf the option and the run game, are really just doing TOO much.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

I play on Heisman default on Offense and All American defense because I couldn't stop a nose bleed on Heisman.

Last night I used OSU and beat LSU in Baton Rouge(Heisman/Heisman) and part of the reason I was successful is because LSU has more of a power running game than the option.

Played against Clemson as Florida State and was gashed the entire game. I liked the challenge though. I think there is a way to stop it, you just have to commit to it and leave yourself vulnerable to the pass. Sounds realistic to me.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Rookie

Lzydd's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
After countless games in Season Mode, Dynasty mode, Play Now, Season Ticket, and the Demo, I like everyone else was becoming very frustrated with the inability to not only stop the option plays, but also my ability to just bury teams with Braxton Miller and Ohio State.

I decided to look into the numbers from last year and was shocked to notice that 75 teams averaged at least 150yd/gm on the ground last year. Even more interesting was that nearly half of those 75 (31) averaged more than 200 yards rushing per game.

Army led the nation in rushing yards per game lat year with 370ypg. The rest of the top ten looked like this:

Air Force 316
Oregon 315
Georgia Tech 311
New Mexico 300
Navy 278.5
Nevada 271
Nebraska 253
Tulsa 245
Ohio State 242

Teams 11-20

TAMU 242
NIU 238
Wisconsin 236
Baylor 231
Arizona 228
Alabama 228
LaTech 227
Kent State 226
Northwestern 226
San Diego State 220

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...gYardsPerGame?
Is this real life? Total yards is the dumbest possible way to view how effective a rush attack is, yards per attempt is much more revealing. Furthermore, if you're playing online you're probably not getting 65-75 plays per game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Rookie

ClemTiger's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
I play on Heisman default on Offense and All American defense because I couldn't stop a nose bleed on Heisman.

Last night I used OSU and beat LSU in Baton Rouge(Heisman/Heisman) and part of the reason I was successful is because LSU has more of a power running game than the option.

Played against Clemson as Florida State and was gashed the entire game. I liked the challenge though. I think there is a way to stop it, you just have to commit to it and leave yourself vulnerable to the pass. Sounds realistic to me.
I'll tell you how dumb Heisman is on this game. Tommy freakin Rees had over 100 yards RUSHING on me and only threw ONE incomplete pass the entire game. I tried every defense known to man and I was shredded all game. ND never punted either.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:

Exactly, you CAN stop it, but, if the opposing team has a strong passing game, you're in for a tough task.

But then there are teams like Oregon, GTech who run it so well, it's nearly impossible to stop no matter what you do. In the case of GTech though, they don't have a strong passing attack, so when a defense finally does shut down their option, there's a big chance they could lose the game.

There's a reason Oregon is a powerhouse, their read option plays are the best in the nation, almost impossible to even contain, plus, when need be, they can pass the ball. It's hard as hell to beat a team like this in real life, and it's hard as hell to beat a team like this in the game.

I'm praying EA doesn't nerf the option game because people find it too difficult. If you lose because you're getting gashed than so be it, that's how coaches in real life feel all the time. Hopeless..
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Exactly, you CAN stop it, but, if the opposing team has a strong passing game, you're in for a tough task.

But then there are teams like Oregon, GTech who run it so well, it's nearly impossible to stop no matter what you do. In the case of GTech though, they don't have a strong passing attack, so when a defense finally does shut down their option, there's a big chance they could lose the game.

There's a reason Oregon is a powerhouse, their read option plays are the best in the nation, almost impossible to even contain, plus, when need be, they can pass the ball. It's hard as hell to beat a team like this in real life, and it's hard as hell to beat a team like this in the game.

I'm praying EA doesn't nerf the option game because people find it too difficult. If you lose because you're getting gashed than so be it, that's how coaches in real life feel all the time. Hopeless..
While I agree with this statement, the issue that I have is how easy it is to run - not how powerful it can be. The reads are very obvious (whether crashing or taking QB) and there isn't much done by the D to confuse the read. If we saw a bigger variety such as the DE starting to crash then pulling up for the QB, etc to make it tougher to read I would be much happier. As it is now it is a very scripted yes / no progression check that is fairly idiot proof. You see this impact on some of the dive options where it is harder to tell if the DE is going to the QB or the dive due to the angle of the handoff.

Timeetyo's NCAA 14 Relegation & Violations System: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...on-system.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »