Home

Using chew clock to keep your opponent from ever touching the ball...

This is a discussion on Using chew clock to keep your opponent from ever touching the ball... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #57
Rookie

ajwhawkeye12's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Using chew clock to keep your opponent from ever touching the ball...

Stop calling a "money play" a glitch. It's NOT a glitch.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #58
Pro

OVR: 4

Side question to the ppl who use Chew Clock in the first quarter with the goal of having 1 or 2 possessions in the game. Can you explain what fun or excitement you find in that? This is NOT an attack I'm trying to understand a style of play that to me seems boring. Is it solely about getting the "win", by any means necessary? Personally I'd rather have fun and lose than to be bored to death playing a video game and win.

I think some people are confusing ball control strategy with chew clock strategy. Ball Control is a legit strategy. Going on 3-4 minute drives and getting 2>1 or 3>2 advantage in possessions in a half is legit football. I play ppl in my dynasty who use Ball Control strategy. They take their time picking their plays and analyzing the defense pre-snap. And NONE of them use chew clock. Using chew clock with the goal of having 1 possession in the half or 2 total possessions in the game is unrealistic and taking advantage of a video game due to clock length loophole. Bama is a ball control team, when has Nick Saban ever said his goal was to have "1 or 2 possessions in the ENTIRE game"?

To the Minnesota guy who keeps bring up averaging 9 minutes on scoring drives. Even if both teams scored on every one of their possessions that's still 3 total possessions in the half with a 3 minute drive for the team that kicked off to start before halftime which would mean a total of 4 possessions for the half. How can you compare 4 possession in a half to 1/2?

I wouldn't compare this to Camping as others have said. Securing a Room or Choke point is real combat tactics. Maybe there are some loop holes or "setups" that make it overpowered in the game.

But When has anyone ever watched a Division 1 football game that had 3 or 4 total possessions in the entire game?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
Side question to the ppl who use Chew Clock in the first quarter with the goal of having 1 or 2 possessions in the game. Can you explain what fun or excitement you find in that? This is NOT an attack I'm trying to understand a style of play that to me seems boring. Is it solely about getting the "win", by any means necessary? Personally I'd rather have fun and lose than to be bored to death playing a video game and win.

I think some people are confusing ball control strategy with chew clock strategy. Ball Control is a legit strategy. Going on 3-4 minute drives and getting 2>1 or 3>2 advantage in possessions in a half is legit football. I play ppl in my dynasty who use Ball Control strategy. They take their time picking their plays and analyzing the defense pre-snap. And NONE of them use chew clock. Using chew clock with the goal of having 1 possession in the half or 2 total possessions in the game is unrealistic and taking advantage of a video game due to clock length loophole. Bama is a ball control team, when has Nick Saban ever said his goal was to have "1 or 2 possessions in the ENTIRE game"?

To the Minnesota guy who keeps bring up averaging 9 minutes on scoring drives. Even if both teams scored on every one of their possessions that's still 3 total possessions in the half with a 3 minute drive for the team that kicked off to start before halftime which would mean a total of 4 possessions for the half. How can you compare 4 possession in a half to 1/2?

I wouldn't compare this to Camping as others have said. Securing a Room or Choke point is real combat tactics. Maybe there are some loop holes or "setups" that make it overpowered in the game.

But When has anyone ever watched a Division 1 football game that had 3 or 4 total possessions in the entire game?

When has anyone watched a Division 1 football with 5 minute Quarters?

This game has 5 minute quarters, the play clock is STILL 40 seconds...so with or without the chew clock feature, ANYONE COULD STILL USE THIS GAMEPLAN. Because that's what it is, a gameplan.

The ONLY Problem is that the QTR's are 5 minutes long, and the OP couldn't stop the HB dive play.

The GAMEPLAN was to LIMIT The OP's Possessions... The Problem, we are playing only 1 and 1/3 Quarters of REAL FOOTBALL GAMETIME.

Which means, 4-6 Possessions a GAME.

Also.. this is a VIDEO GAME... Not REAL FOOTBALL. WITH 5 Minute QTRS.

It REMINDS ME OF when No Huddle teams took over, and teams couldn't sub out there defensive players in time....
The offensive was using the rules within the GAME and used them to their advantage.
If this was a video game, people would be complaining..."That's Not SIM!!!!!!!!!!"

Guess what, the NCAA Changed the ruling so that the defense has time to set up their defense and sub.

In the world of Sports/Gaming... Things change and evolve. The goal is to win. Period. Or else, why are you playing? To Lose? lol

But obviously, we wouldn't hear complaining if Losing was the goal...lol
Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #60
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUNolez
Once again, let me stress something:

I am 23-10 with 0 DNF%. I know how to play the game. I've lost my fair share where the player ran to open up the pass. Much credit to then for playing football. I don't have a problem with that.
Had he ran to open up the pass and did it all in a few minutes, I would not complain. Once he runs the same 2 plays the entire game as well as taking up 9/10 of each half, that's where I start having a problem.

Pounding the rock and throwing quick passes while chewing the clock seems EXACTLY like what Stanford did to beat Oregon last year. Funny how nobody on ESPN called it cheese when Stanford ran the same power run play 25 times for 5 yards a pop.

In real life, if you can't stop a simple dive play, that is your problem and the other team will do it all game. In the video game, if you can't stop a simple dive play, that is your problem and your opponent will do it all game.

If the play is a glitch, then it is BS. If you are just saying that you can't stop a simple dive/ball control offense, then that is not a glitch, and you just need to have a better strategy to stop it. You could never run that on me online and beat me like you claim. Never.

GT: BrockOchoGOAT Send it anytime.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #61
Banned

OVR: 5

Gotta admit, clock management is MY ONLY STRATEGY online against people who abuse air raid or spread offenses and that cheese or abuse specific plays.

Honestly, my defense isn't good enough to stop them EVERY time, and because these offenses usually score quickly (or go 3 and out, or 4 and out) that when I'm on offense, scoring to go ahead, or to tie isn't good enough, I need to take as much time off as possible.

In every win and loss I've dominated TOP. If I get the ball first, and the person is decent or good on defense, meaning no busted plays that go for a lot of yards, I won't score until just before the end of the first quarter, or just after the start of the 2nd quarter. I use this the whole game.

I don't specifically use the chew clock feature, and I don't start by using up all of the time allotted but I do use most of it and I don't rush to the line of scrimmage.

I run Auburn's playbook, (most of the time with Auburn) and run Read Option as my base play in any formation. I'll run dives, counters (sparingly), sweeps, and short passing routes with the occasional deep pattern and play action sprinkled in. I play sim in online games, and you generally win more than you lose by doing so. But it isn't cheesing by using conservative clock management.

If you can't figure out 2 basic scenarios (Dives/Slants), you have bigger issues. However, I do feel for you, as it isn't fun to get dominated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #62
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
If I were 6'10 and you were 5'9 and were playing basketball make it take it...I would post you up and dunk on you every time and you wouldn't see the ball! Just sayin!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #63
Rookie

FSUNolez's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
If I were 6'10 and you were 5'9 and were playing basketball make it take it...I would post you up and dunk on you every time and you wouldn't see the ball! Just sayin!
How is that fun?

If I was 20 and you were 12 years old, I would post you up and dunk on you every time and you wouldn't see the ball! Just sayin!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #64
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla

The flaw in this discussion is this right here, comparing ranked matches to real life football is ridiculous. EA didn't pick 5 minute qtrs "because they best simulate real life," they use 5 min qtrs because it appeases the majority of the cheezefest/twitch gamer Ranked Match players, a pretty large part of the customer base.

Again, just because you don't play to win at all costs, that doesn't mean anything. I mean, I am happy for you, and glad, guys like you have a spot in my ODs anytime, but, a ranked match is a Match (game, competition) to improve Ranking (hence Ranked Match). It isn't called a sim match, it isn't called Real Life Football Match. I think EA knows that their game, on default, is cheezed out but they also know that a lot of people like playing like that.

Again, I don't understand what you expect. If you want sim play in an OD with all users in a conference so you have max amount of user games. A ranked match is only about winning. Or just post your GT in the thread on here and hit up people from that list for games.

I hate to keep pulling the High Horse Card, but I stopped playing rank's in 12 and am all the better for it. When the only payoff is a W in one column and a better number next to your name in the other, you can't expect anybody else to share your desire for a true to life football experience.

IF somebody who posted their GT for a game here on OS did it to you, I would understand why we are still talking about this, but it was a random ranked match. Guess I don't get it

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »