Home

Small forward #31, the NCAA, and EA sports

This is a discussion on Small forward #31, the NCAA, and EA sports within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
But Ed O'Bannon and every other player deserve to get paid off the game. They are being exploited. That player's stats was modeled off O'Bannon's strength and weaknesses. Braxton Miller the other day said something to the effect of he felt disrespect by his lack of speed on NCAA. He knows that player is him, you know that player is him so why shouldn't he get paid off the game? It doesn't make sense. The college athletic scholarship does not cover the cost of education. EA needs give these exploited players some compensation.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Small forward #31, the NCAA, and EA sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
But Ed O'Bannon and every other player deserve to get paid off the game. They are being exploited. That player's stats was modeled off O'Bannon's strength and weaknesses. Braxton Miller the other day said something to the effect of he felt disrespect by his lack of speed on NCAA. He knows that player is him, you know that player is him so why shouldn't he get paid off the game? It doesn't make sense. The college athletic scholarship does not cover the cost of education. EA needs give these exploited players some compensation.
I'm confused by this part.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

The funny thing is, money made through athletics is actually very small compared to money brought into most major universities. Research grants alone can bring in millions. Yet I don't hear chemistry, physics, or medical students screaming for any part of that money that they bring in.

They have to pay their own tuition, have to buy their books, have to pay for tutors if they need them, have to pay room and board, etc, and bring in more money than athletes. And unlike the athletics programs - which operate at a loss at most institutions (thanks Title IX) - they are actually making a profit for the University.

Why don't they care about getting their share of the profits from their "slave labor"? Because they understand that the experience they are getting in their chosen field will help them more down the road than a few extra dollars will in the here and now.

I can't wrap my head around this case. If Ed O'Bannon had never played basketball at the college level, he would be even less of a nobody than he is now. His name would have no value. It is not UCLA's or EA's fault that Ed didn't take his education seriously and prepare himself for a future without basketball. Did UCLA and EA make a few bucks off of O'Bannon? Maybe. I don't know how you can quantify that, because most people are fans of their school, not the players. Players come and players go, but fans still support their school. It doesn't matter anyway. Whatever money they made off O'Bannon is minuscule in comparison to what he made in the NBA, something that would probably have never happened had he not attended and played in college.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Wait, so, even though it doesn't look like him and doesn't play like him, it's him? Because of the jersey #? I didn't realize that jersey numbers are trademarked personal licences now. What happens when he changes his number - as players have been known to do? Does he have to go through a whole legal process to change the trademark from #5 to #10?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Rookie

You're right that can't be right. I'm confident we will have a game for years to come. College football is important to the universities to allow a few players that are now broke ruin it for everyone and investors doesn't make. College player education is paid for player all they have to play whatever sport they are involved in and study. Some become millionaires and some focus on the field of study. They even have access to pell grants while on scholarship. In the ea or another company will produce a game.
MLB:New York Mets
NFL:San Francisco 49ers
Old 08-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
If the player's stats are modeled after strength and weaknesses, then why is Miller offended over lack of speed? Ah, because they aren't accurate. Meaning they aren't a true reflection of each player. You can't measure an athlete's true strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, these athletes don't deserve squat.

As far as athletes not getting full scholarships...

Quote:
Division I and II institutions are permitted to provide a student-athlete with tuition and fees, room, board and required course-related books.
And if the athletes are still bitching...

Quote:
Can student-athletes receive other, non-athletic financial aid?

Yes. Thousands of student-athletes benefit from academic scholarships and need-based aid, such as federal Pell Grants. In addition, there is money available from the NCAA’s own Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund.
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ic+scholarship

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people gripe about student-athletes not getting compensated enough, while I'm saddled with six-figure college debt that I'll be paying back for the next 30 years. A debt-free minimum wage worker has more spending money than I do each month! These athletes should be happy about being college educated and debt-free.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
Wait, so, even though it doesn't look like him and doesn't play like him, it's him? Because of the jersey #? I didn't realize that jersey numbers are trademarked personal licences now. What happens when he changes his number - as players have been known to do? Does he have to go through a whole legal process to change the trademark from #5 to #10?
So it doesn't play like him? Who O'Bannon or Miller. He's a mobile QB with a strong arm but middling accuracy. He's said to be from around Dayton, OH. Come one, you can either try to make this point to make sure NCAA keeps making a game or you can be real and see what's right in front of you eyes. When you picked up the game you knew who that was suppose to be just like #2 from TAMU. Their year in school is usually spot on. It's based of real players and those players should get paid.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMB0B
If the player's stats are modeled after strength and weaknesses, then why is Miller offended over lack of speed? Ah, because they aren't accurate. Meaning they aren't a true reflection of each player. You can't measure an athlete's true strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, these athletes don't deserve squat.

As far as athletes not getting full scholarships...

And if the athletes are still bitching...

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ic+scholarship

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people gripe about student-athletes not getting compensated enough, while I'm saddled with six-figure college debt that I'll be paying back for the next 30 years. A debt-free minimum wage worker has more spending money than I do each month! These athletes should be happy about being college educated and debt-free.
87spd 87acc is still pretty fast. And if it's not based on players how is that jersey numbers, home states, tendencies match up? It's that player. You are upset because you may lose college gaming but not to see what EA and the NCAA has been doing for YEARS is wrong then you just don't want to see it.

I also find that people who have college debt have this view. That they are getting enough no matter how much these universities make off these players. Then they can't make money off their own likeness. That's insane to me.

Last edited by blkrptnt819; 08-17-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »