Home

A sliver lining to this lawsuit cloud?

This is a discussion on A sliver lining to this lawsuit cloud? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #17

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: A sliver lining to this lawsuit cloud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_nincompoop55
I just don't understand why the game cannot continue with all of the real teams, conference, and bowl games but just use completely random rosters??? Seems like a logical solution to all of the issues.
Because after the NCAA dropped out several conferences have also dropped out and at least one team has dropped out making that impossible since you can't use them without permission.

I think I read somewhere that some bowl games might drop out as well but not sure of the validity or realism of that claim.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Because after the NCAA dropped out several conferences have also dropped out and at least one team has dropped out making that impossible since you can't use them without permission.

I think I read somewhere that some bowl games might drop out as well but not sure of the validity or realism of that claim.
I realize that...... What I am saying is why wouldn't EA just tell everyone that they will use completely random rosters? Everyone is dropping out because of the "likeness" liability but there is no liability if they use randomized rosters.

Also I think it is very possible that everyone who has "dropped out" is only doing so to position themselves for the lawsuit. Once the dust settles and EA either has to pay for player's likeness or is forced to use randomized rosters why would anyone not sign a deal with EA?

Last edited by Peter_nincompoop55; 08-22-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_nincompoop55
I realize that...... What I am saying is why wouldn't EA just tell everyone that they will use completely random rosters? Everyone is dropping out because of the "likeness" liability but there is no liability if they use randomized rosters.

Also I think it is very possible that everyone who has "dropped out" is only doing so to position themselves for the lawsuit. Once the dust settles and EA either has to pay for player's likeness or is forced to use randomized rosters why would anyone not sign a deal with EA?
A lot of reasons. Biggest issue is liability isn't black and white. Can't just randomize rosters, would probably have to ensure likenesses arent recreated which could scuttle roster and logo tools, all the mythical open ended customization people are wishing for, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
A lot of reasons. Biggest issue is liability isn't black and white. Can't just randomize rosters, would probably have to ensure likenesses arent recreated which could scuttle roster and logo tools, all the mythical open ended customization people are wishing for, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Haha, that's just silly to me. If I want to recreate authentic rosters in the comfort of my own home once I have paid for the game then I should be able to. Don't understand how "likeness" is affected if no one's likeness is being sold with the game. Maybe some would argue that roster sharing provides tool to "steal" likeness without paying for it but that's a stretch at best. This whole thing is just garbage if you ask me. EA needs to just settle with O'Bannon, give him his one last pay day, and then he can go back to selling cars in Vegas and we can play college sports video games.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

Too much money to be made, it will be worked out. Next gen with no college football won't happen.
MLB:New York Mets
NFL:San Francisco 49ers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #22

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsontideuA
Too much money to be made,
By whom though?

How much money do the entities that are in the game gain versus the risk by having their name in the game?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 4

I don't believe a couple washed up athletes will destroy college sports therefore and end a video game. If that's happens this country is trouble. Personally if the game ends my gaming days will be officially over.
MLB:New York Mets
NFL:San Francisco 49ers
Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
My question is what are we doing about this? Are we posting/tweeting/emailing EA to death to let them know we want a game? Are we doing the same to conferences commissioners and our favorite schools? Or are we just sitting idly by "hoping" that we have a game next year?

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »