Home

Stopping the pass ?

This is a discussion on Stopping the pass ? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2004, 12:25 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
Stopping the pass ?

I've just finished a season playing as San Jose State and I just can't seem to slow down the passing game. Is it because my play calling is very bad or because my team just sucks ? I try to call a lot of cover 2 but just get killed deep. I then blitz and get burned as well. I think a major problem is a lack of pressure on the QB. However does anyone have any good defensive plays out of the 4-3 or nickel to slow down the pass ? Long passes seem to be the biggest killer for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
MVP

unc12003's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Stopping the pass ?

hi
Old 01-24-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

It is probably lack of talent on your team. I played with Utah State a couple of years in my dynasty and my defense was terrible. You just need better talent as well as good play calling.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
rns
Rookie

OVR: 2

Yeah, I think you have to build that Spartan team up a little. Get your average speed in the secondary up to around 85 or more, get your OLB's 75+ speed, MLB about 70+, with everyone at least 60+ awareness. And call more plays with 3 or 4 in deep zone. My favorites are 4-3 cover 4, 3-4 cover 4 max, a dime play where the LB blitzes (don't remember the name... pick Dime, click up twice, and it's on the right... control the LB and blitz off the edge to supply great pressure, especially against a no-back formation.), and a nickel play where the nickel back blitzes (choose nickel, click up, and it's on the left, I think). I also use a corner blitz out of the 4-3 and I control the blitzing corner (sometimes I blitz, sometimes I keep him back and play coverage)... I'm not sure what exactly the play name is, but when choosing 4-3 cover 4, it's on the left.

I'd just say never call cover 2 if you're worried about the deep threat... unless you're going to manually control someone and roam around as the 3rd deep 'safety'.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
Rookie

Heel_Fan's Arena

I dont know I run the cover two eclusively, I dont have much trouble with the deep ball as a matter of fact having to safeties over top is what saves me alot. I play a man underneath with the two safeties dropping back deep, bump the recievers at the line which gives you a little more tiime to get pressure. with the safeties dropping back you should be able to keep everything in front of you. Long live the bend dont break D.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2004, 01:40 AM   #6
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:

Heel_Fan said:
I dont know I run the cover two eclusively, I dont have much trouble with the deep ball as a matter of fact having to safeties over top is what saves me alot. I play a man underneath with the two safeties dropping back deep, bump the recievers at the line which gives you a little more tiime to get pressure. with the safeties dropping back you should be able to keep everything in front of you. Long live the bend dont break D.

That is the exact defense I'm running right now. So far, I've been holding opponents to about 138 yards passing a game. You just have to find a system that fits your personel and learn to use it effectively.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:33 AM   #7
rns
Rookie

Yeah, you're right. Cover 2 can be strong deep coverage if it's also man coverage underneath. I was more thinking of plain zone cover 2's which are just terrible against deep routes. I work mostly in zones for my straight out pass coverage because we seem more likely to get picks that way... probably also stems from having to work with very weak talent in my secondary when I started my dynasty... the zones worked best so I never bothered to stray far from it. I don't know how it would work now with my strong secondary (3 of 4 starting DB's are in the Thorpe award list), but I also use to have trouble getting beat medium range to the middle in man defenses like cover 2 man. But man coverage underneath does do better than zone against some out routes and passes to the flats. I should try experimenting and mixing it up a little more.

I know in real life when teams try to run the cover 2's against my Warriors though, they can really eat you up deep!
Old 01-30-2004, 05:43 PM   #8
rns
Rookie

Ah, I just recently experienced another big reason why I don't tend to use man coverage. Running backs are covered by linebackers, and the HB's are way too fast in their routes and they always catch it. I can't stand the obscene separation they tend to get... they're basically as good at receiving as the WR's but my LB's are usually in the 76-83 speed range with sub-80 agi and acc. It's kind of unreal in my opinion, that the HB's make such strong receivers... especially on medium to long range passes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »