Home

NCAA Football 14: Simulating a Four-Team Playoff

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14: Simulating a Four-Team Playoff within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NCAA Football 14: Simulating a Four-Team Playoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
Currently, FSU, Auburn, Alabama, and MSU, the teams that would be in a playoff, all have one loss except for FSU. So I don't think one game could make or break a season in a four team playoff any more then a 16 team playoff.
1. It would ruin bowl season
2. It would ruin rivalry week, games such as this years Iron bowl would've be meaningless.
3. Your argument doesn't make sense. Just because a team might still make it with 1 loss doesn't make it the same as a 3 or 4 loss team making it.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Rookie

tanchl's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
I'm glad there's no playoffs yet in CFB. Either do a 16 or more team tournament or stick with the BCS, don't do something halfway like the CFB playoffs will be.
I so totally agree with the part you mentioned about doing it halfway (I would have used another 3 letter word after half

We all will never see college football determine their champion the right way in our lifetime. The only way to determine a champion is on the field with the teams determined by the results of what they did on the field, not determined by a committee or a computer. Tradition, money, and power will always win out over creating the perfect system.

Yeah, there are 10 conferences but I feel 5 of the conferences are truly not worthy of being in the consideration, that's just my view on the situation. There needs to be 8 conferences where each conference champion is in the playoffs. Or maybe 6 conferences with two wild cards. There could be several possibilities but it is all moot; the NCAA will never do this so we all just have to accept their half*** attempt.

The 4 team playoff played out for this article isn't the way I would see it. I could not allow Alabama a chance to play for a title if they didn't even win their division. Unfair?, partially. Yeah, they are arguably the best team in the country, they play in arguably the toughest conference, and they were one fluke play away from earning the right to play for it all (this is why I think a wildcard team should be in the mix to account for a Alabama or that independent that would be worthy of a shot).
Old 01-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #19
Rookie

The most obvious way to have a playoff( I like all of the bowl games too) is to have a 24-team playoff with the winner of every conference qualifying, and 14 at large seeds. I have an example of what it would look like if this were implemented this year. Keep in mind this is my opinion with the games, just focus on the format.
(Seeding isn't shown but I used a standard 24-team playoff bracket)

Seeding:
1.FSU
2.Auburn
3.Alabama
4.MSU
5.Stanford
6.Baylor
7.Ohio state
8.south Carolina
9. Mizzou
10. Oregon
11. Oklahoma
12. Clemson
13.oklahoma state
14.Lsu
15.ucf
16.arizona state
17.UCLA
18.louisville
19.wisconcin
20.texas a&m
21.fresno state
22.rice
23.ul-Lafayette
24.bowling green

First round byes:
1.FSU
2.Auburn
3.Alabama
4.MSU
5.Stanford
6.Baylor
7.Ohio state
8.south Carolina

Arizona state vs UCLA
Bowling green vs Mizzou

Wisconsin vs Texas A&M
Clemson vs Fresno state

UCF vs Louisville
Oregon vs UL-Lafayette

Wisconsin vs LSU
Oklahoma vs rice

A few good games in Arizona state vs UCLA, Clemson vs fresno could be a good one. And Louisville beats UCF in a not so big rematch

Florida state vs Arizona state
South Carolina vs Mizzou

Michigan state vs Texas A&M
Stanford vs Clemson

Auburn vs Louisville
Ohio state vs oregon

Alabama vs LSU
Baylor vs Oklahoma

Now this gets interesting. The first group has a rematch between two SEC east powers and Winston against a defense he could tear up.
Michigan state vs Texas A&M would be a good match up because of the Michigan state defense, but Connor cook is overrated and the MSU offense loses the game for the Spartans.
And of course oregon vs Ohio state would be a great matchup.

Texas A&M vs Stanford

Auburn vs Ohio state

Alabama vs Baylor

South Carolina loss some key SEC games but I think they bounce back in a playoff and advance, but FSU will be a challenge.
Texas A&M vs Stanford would be two totally different offenses so that would be interesting.
I really wanted auburn vs oregon again in the playoff but I think Ohio state edges them out.
I wish that Baylor was good enough to beat Alabama. And they are, their offense is simply the best in the country.

Ohio state vs Alabama

Of course people start arguing intensely after this round but I like Ohio state over auburn and Johnny Manziel over Stanford.
__________________________________________________ __
So in the first ever final four we had a match up with two hiesman trophy winners, and a game that every NCAA 14 video game had as a championship. For me all but Texas a&m seem realistic here, but the Aggies got a few easier games then there counterparts. Maybe a 20th seed wasn't so bad. So for the first CFP championship we have:
Florida state (17-0) vs Alabama (16-1)

So Alabama gets redemption and Florida state gets a shot at history, but in the end I don't think the playoff effects the outcome who wins the crystal ball, or whatever it is now, I say that Florida state comes out on top and becomes the first team to go (18-0) and win a CFP championship.

FLORIDA STATE (18-0)
Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 AM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkyyyyy
1. It would ruin bowl season
2. It would ruin rivalry week, games such as this years Iron bowl would've be meaningless.
3. Your argument doesn't make sense. Just because a team might still make it with 1 loss doesn't make it the same as a 3 or 4 loss team making it.
I agree it would ruin rivalry week, which is why I love the bowl games too.
But I do think that they should reduce the # of bowl games. Make it exclusive

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »