Home

Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law

This is a discussion on Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law

i wonder how many non revenue producing sports will be eliminated because of this ruling. don't forget about "title 9" either, ladies gonna get paid also. could very easily come down to "if you spend 50 million on the men's sports, you got to spend 50 million on women's sports.

worst case scenario is the cost to attend college goes up for regular students, who then riot and burn down the colleges and your having heart surgery perfomed by a doctor with a tijuana doctors degree.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 3

Are there any real lawyers out there?

The question I have is why is it $5000. There doesn't seem to be any logic to that. What is to stop another lawsuit trying to get rid of the $5K cap?
Old 08-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsoffury
This is a big ruling and really a fair and positive one in my opinion but with appeals coming we are still a very long way away from NCAA video games coming back... The biggest thing is that we need the schools/conferences to jump back on board with EA or whoever before games are made again.
Everyone's assuming a lengthy appeals process...I think there's a high chance of a settlement versus a long appeals process...too much money being left on the table by dragging this out for both sides..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #52
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan1969
i wonder how many non revenue producing sports will be eliminated because of this ruling. don't forget about "title 9" either, ladies gonna get paid also. could very easily come down to "if you spend 50 million on the men's sports, you got to spend 50 million on women's sports.

worst case scenario is the cost to attend college goes up for regular students, who then riot and burn down the colleges and your having heart surgery perfomed by a doctor with a tijuana doctors degree.
i also wonder about the 90-100 teams that lose money playing football. competitively they can't NOT pay the players which means the cost will be passed on to students/tax payers.

How many non-revenue sports will be cut so that FB and BB can take up even more room?

Last edited by JustAnotherGamer; 08-09-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Exactly. You know how many Winston jerseys FSU will sell now that they can put his name on it. Its a new stream of revenue and they can also increase the price of those jerseys.

I wouldnt expect a game in 15 but I think 16 is a good shot. Gives the conferences time to get these likeness deals in place.
I agree, I think 2016 is when we have our game back...

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 08-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Everyone's assuming a lengthy appeals process...I think there's a high chance of a settlement versus a long appeals process...too much money being left on the table by dragging this out for both sides..
I've read some speculation that because the ruling is pretty generous to the NCAA (allowing them to set limits at all, making them relatively low, and letting the money be placed in a trust) they may cut their losses and not risk a judge down the line deciding that they have no right to set any limits.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
I've read some speculation that because the ruling is pretty generous to the NCAA (allowing them to set limits at all, making them relatively low, and letting the money be placed in a trust) they may cut their losses and not risk a judge down the line deciding that they have no right to set any limits.
Exactly right, I think 5k is a number that the schools can get behind...if they appeal it could get a worse number, or like you said, unlimited...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Exactly right, I think 5k is a number that the schools can get behind...if they appeal it could get a worse number, or like you said, unlimited...
If it such a good deal, why won't the players appeal? I can't see any logic behind the $5K cap…

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »