Home

the long ball

This is a discussion on the long ball within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9
the long ball

Has anyone else noticed there is really no effective deep ball in this game? Sure you can throw it deep, but your receiver is likely to make some ackward stopping and leaping motion to snag your pass. It is ridiculous to take a solid quarterback and throw downfield to a premier receiver only to have the play be useless because there is no good animation for catching these balls in stride. Does anyone else have this problem? I've tried forever in game and practice mode with and without defense to no avail. The worst is when the defensive back turns his dopey a** around and stands there as your reciever leaps splay-legged to catch a ball he could have cought in stride. Hopefully thsi is fixed this year. Some of these poor animations could be deal breakers. Don't even get me started on the shotgun-to-the-back tackle animation.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
Rookie

buckeye726's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: the long ball

There is one play that I have found that is a guaranteed long ball for a TD in a certain situation. It is Ohio State's playbook. it is in I Form-Slot, on the 1st page on the left under check. where the slot runs a little bit to the outside then a go route. You have to have your fastest guy in the slot and the D has to be playing only 2 CB's or else it ownt work. If they play 2 CB's the strong safety should drop into close coverage of your slot man and if that happens just let your reciever get open. I have used the play many times and my guy has caught the ball in stride. But I agree the recievers do slow down on most routes to try and catch the ball.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I do fine throwing deep... only into single coverage tho... it never does seem to work into man with safety help tho, you're right.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:36 PM   #4
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11

I know what you are talking about.

I can hit my guy no problem. But, if he catches it, he's going down nearly every time. its like you can't hit them in stride. this is even when there is good separation and I lead the reciever.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
Rookie

buckeye726's Arena

OVR: 2

I agree, you can rarely hit the guy in stride. I just set up the practice and ran O. State offense vs. Meecheegan D( that's the default) and I put the ball on my 10 and I thre the pass about 10 times and ran for a TD in all but 1 but the guy only caught the ball in stride about 3 times when he was wide open.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9

Has anyone seen if this has been adressed by watching the videos? I've seen some of them and it looks like maybe there are some new animations. Has anyone else seen any new catch animations? Or how about a fix for the ball-thrown-to-the-corner-route-bouncing-off-the-shoulder-pads? I would be very pleased if the receivers were to adjust to balls underthrown. At least make some type of attempt guys. Has anyone witnessed the shotgun-to0the-back tackle animation in any videos. hopefully they threw that one out and shot whoever motion catured it. That'd be ironic. I would like to know if anyone wants to post any new and gameplay-helpful animations they have seen. Please do it here.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:54 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 21

Have any of you tried leading the receiver?

While throwing, push up on the left analog stick and the quarterback should put it far enough where the receiver won't have to break stride.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:29 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Guys, mr Seminole is right.

Try leading the WR and running under the ball. You catch it in stride PERFECTLY. You don't slow down at all. (besides leading, you can also tap it early in the route, thus lofting it way out in front of him so you have time to run under it)

It's easy. Just go to practice mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »