Home

NCAA 16

This is a discussion on NCAA 16 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NCAA 16

I wish ea would do a NCAA 14 Remastered Edition for next gen. Maybe I have to buy a last gen console again. I miss NCAA
Old 12-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Rookie

ILuvMN81's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm curious to know if we are going to see a strong modding community to make an "NCAA 16" the way we did this year. More and more people are moving to XBOne and PS4 and don't want to look back...

As for the legal and licensing issues, even if they cleared up quickly, I'd think it might be a short while for a game to make it to market.

Honestly, something I'd consider buying would be a game that circumvented licensing issues by including names and colors but not logos. Anyone play or remember Super Play Action Football for SNES? It hasn't exactly held up well and it didn't receive glowing reviews back in 91 (but I digress)...they did just that in their "college" mode. Teams used the state name (Alabama, Michigan) and colors or for "State" colleges they called them for example "St. of Ohio" or "St. Of Florida"; they used ND for Notre Dame...but there were plenty of corny examples (Holy Cross=Moldy Moss). The rosters were generic, IIRC and there were no conferences.

IF something similar but slightly less corny could be done, it might sell. If and might being the key words.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
Rookie

thehoagster07's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMN81
I'm curious to know if we are going to see a strong modding community to make an "NCAA 16" the way we did this year. More and more people are moving to XBOne and PS4 and don't want to look back...

As for the legal and licensing issues, even if they cleared up quickly, I'd think it might be a short while for a game to make it to market.

Honestly, something I'd consider buying would be a game that circumvented licensing issues by including names and colors but not logos. Anyone play or remember Super Play Action Football for SNES? It hasn't exactly held up well and it didn't receive glowing reviews back in 91 (but I digress)...they did just that in their "college" mode. Teams used the state name (Alabama, Michigan) and colors or for "State" colleges they called them for example "St. of Ohio" or "St. Of Florida"; they used ND for Notre Dame...but there were plenty of corny examples (Holy Cross=Moldy Moss). The rosters were generic, IIRC and there were no conferences.

IF something similar but slightly less corny could be done, it might sell. If and might being the key words.
IIRC Bill Walsh College Football had the correct colors but called each team by the city they play in (South Bend, Columbus, Blacksburg, etc.). That could be a workaround. All of the rosters are going to end up 100% modded anyways.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
The buzz is palpable now!

sportznut02's Arena

OVR: 32

We will see another game someday.Once they figure how players are compensated, then EA will get back in the game. The game sold will enough that it will be back at some point in time.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:43 AM   #13
Uber Blazer/Beaver Fan

blazer003's Arena

OVR: 10

I know EA doesn't want to get in more hot water, nor the NCAA, but I don't see what's stopping them from putting out a game with all the colleges and everything just as it was (with next gen upgrades), but just with completely generic rosters that only approximated the skill of the school and maybe even positions. So say a team has a great QB In real life, like Oregon, but in the game Otegon just has a good scrambling QB (only because that's what their system runs) that is a different height, weight, number, home state than Mariota. If they're really worried, don't even use any kind of real basis. Just make everything random so there definitely no link to a specific player and again, just make sure team strength and ratings were about right. Seems like this would eliminate the player likeness problem.

Plus, this would eliminate a lot of work for them trying to get all the rosters correct.

Last edited by blazer003; 12-03-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
Rookie

TimLawNYC's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer003
I know EA doesn't want to get in more hot water, nor the NCAA, but I don't see what's stopping them from putting out a game with all the colleges and everything just as it was (with next gen upgrades), but just with completely generic rosters that only approximated the skill of the school and maybe even positions. So say a team has a great QB In real life, like Oregon, but in the game Otegon just has a good scrambling QB (only because that's what their system runs) that is a different height, weight, number, home state than Mariota. If they're really worried, don't even use any kind of real basis. Just make everything random so there definitely no link to a specific player and again, just make sure team strength and ratings were about right. Seems like this would eliminate the player likeness problem.

Plus, this would eliminate a lot of work for them trying to get all the rosters correct.
This is the most obvious and easiest answer; the issue becomes whether making this kind of game makes financial sense for EA. For those of us who play dynasty, we'd basically be totally fine with randomly-generated rosters (since 4 years into a dynasty all of the players are computer-generated anyway).

But EA has always made a big deal about the "frat boy" crowd of on-campus gamers who apparently buy the game to play as the actual collegiate team that year, and who wouldn't want a game with random, generic rosters. This would exclude a portion of the game's installed fan base right away. If EA thought it could still make a profit selling the game without the support of those customers, I can't imagine why it wouldn't do it--which makes the more likely scenario that EA doesn't think a game with random rosters would be profitable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »