Home

intercepting the option pitch-glitch!!

This is a discussion on intercepting the option pitch-glitch!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5
intercepting the option pitch-glitch!!

I noticed this last night when, I intercepted the option pitch and took it to the house, but I didn't get credit for a interception, forced fumble, fumble recovery or defensive TD. So my ? to you is which one is it? I've actually done it a couple of times. I hope they fix it this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: intercepting the option pitch-glitch!!

It's not a pass unless it crosses the line of scrimmage. If the QB throws the ball behind the line of scrimmage to a receiver, the yards he gains or loses goes down as rushing yards. The same thing goes for the option because it isn't a pass.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
MVP

thejake's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:

Bamafan3723 said:
It's not a pass unless it crosses the line of scrimmage. If the QB throws the ball behind the line of scrimmage to a receiver, the yards he gains or loses goes down as rushing yards. The same thing goes for the option because it isn't a pass.

Thats not exactly right. Its not a pass unless it is thrown forward. The line of scrimmage has nothing to do with it. A screen pass can be thrown behind the line of scrimmage but still counts as passing yards. Since the option pitch is a lateral, (thrown backwards) then it should count as a fumble recovery.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

In high school rules, you can pass the ball behind the line of scrimmage and then pass it across the line of scrimmage again. This is not the case in college or the NFL.

For your particular situation, the option would be a lateral, so you should get credit for a recovered fumble and a defensive td. I don't believe you would get credite for the forced fumble, as no one has possession for the flight of the ball.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:31 PM   #5
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

JSteph3061 said:
In high school rules, you can pass the ball behind the line of scrimmage and then pass it across the line of scrimmage again. This is not the case in college or the NFL.

Ehh different states have different rules. In Texas the high schools play by collegiate rules(well at least they used to so I am assuming they still do) However I would find it odd to be able to throw a forward pass such as a screen and then have that guy be able to throw down field. Something just does not seem right about that. That goes against every fundamental aspect of the game. Now a latteral pass then a throw is ok but 2 forward passes? Are you sure?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2004, 04:32 PM   #6
Rookie

rollinphat's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

JSteph3061 said:

you can do that in college and the nfl too. i know, because Florida used to do this alot.
Also, the Steelers do it as well.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #7
MVP

thejake's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:

rollinphat said:

you can do that in college and the nfl too. i know, because Florida used to do this alot.
Also, the Steelers do it as well.

You can NOT throw two forward passes in one play at any level of football (not even college intramural flag football). It amazes me how this rule is misunderstood by so many people.

Quote:

2. An offensive team may make only one forward pass during each play from scrimmage (Loss of 5 yards).

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/forwardpass
Old 05-21-2004, 05:02 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

i have never heard of teams being allowed to throw a second forward pass if the first occurred behind the line of scrimmage. I thought everybody played by the rule that said the first pass had to be backwards (making it a long pitch).

Anyway, the game keeps the statistics of your option pitch recovery in the running statistics section. I agree that it should be considered a fumble recovery and I too hope they fix it this year. In the first season of my Auburn dynasty I caught 5 option pitches with Karlos Dansby and housed 2 of 'em.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »